The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket
Ranked #3 of 93 Hotels in Phuket Town
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

It's a huge resort far away from everything. The staff is super nice. The rooms clean and spacious. The food at the terrace restaurant is very average. The Thai specialities are really nothing special (a bit disappointing I'd rather say). The chocolate ice cream really yummy!
The beach is very sad. Pretty ugly I'd say. If you're planning a trip in Phuket in general I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MatteoFoti

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Being a platinum with Marriott, I was actually looking forward to trying something other than a Marriott property.

Where to start. We were greeted with a welcome drink and refreshing towel which was nice. When checking in we were able to upgrade our room to the pool suite. This was a nice treat, however, I'm still a bit upset that since we paid for an upgrade they didn't wave the extra person charge for us as my mother was traveling with us. I get the fact that they are there to make money, but when someone wants to upgrade and actually pays for it, do you really want to charge them more for the "extra person". The jury is still out on that one.

The property is all up hill. So, if you are disabled or it's hard for you to walk, you will need to take the golf cart. We really didn't have any issues having to wait for them, as 99% of the time they were there to help.

I won't lie, the upgraded room was very nice. The private pool served perfectly for my mother as she could swim when she wanted.

I'm a bit disappointed with the staff in general. The front desk staff was good, however, the breakfast staff, it seemed that they didn't even want to be there. Non-engaging, indifferent.

Now, I want to let you in on the big "tour" secret that we learned. We had picked up some brochures at the airport on boat tours and more. We called the tour company direct to book. No problem, booked at $70us per person. Great, see you at 8am. Well 8am came and went. No tour pick up. We ask at the front desk and come to find out, they had cancelled our tour, BECAUSE, the "Rate" was only given to groups of 50 or more. Really?!?! 50 or more?!?! The tour desk at the hotel told us that the boat tour should have never booked us that tour for us at that rate. That it should have been booked through the hotel, DIRECTLY. THIS is where the chips started to fall together. Why would we have to book the tour through the hotel? OH, that's right, because the hotel wants a cut of the money. The tour desk could get us out that same day for the "hotel" price of an additional $30 for a total of $100us. Basically, the hotel and tour company have their hands in each others pockets. The hotel books the tours, takes a cut and passes the rest on to the tour company. BUT, if you are staying at the Westin you can ONLY book the tour through the hotel, if you book it yourself, be ready to fork over $30 more dollars.

We were apologized to over and over and promised a "sorry basket of flowers" which never came. Whatever, I guess. Just be aware, if you plan on doing any tours it's gonna cost you extra. Our advice, go into town and book there. The hotel won't get their cut then.

On another note, the mosquitoes were awful!

Would I stay here again?? Probably not. Get me back to a Marriott property, STAT!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mitch S
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Traveled with my husband to Phuket from 11-14 May. This is our second trip back to Phuket as we wanted a getaway with a private pool villa. Checked into a one bedroom Sala pool villa suite at Westin Siray. Extremely disappointed with the pool. The pool was small and seemed more like a wading pool. The water only reached mid thigh when standing in the pool and water keep splashing out when my husband tried to take a swim. The height of the pool is the same throughout. As the pool is small, he kept touching the bottom when swimming. Not possible for two adults to swim in it at the same time. The bathroom is quite spacious with a separate shower, bath tub and WC. Reception staff were friendly which is typical of a SPG property. Breakfast was average and nothing particularly spectacular. The hotel has shuttle buses to and from Robinsons and Central on alternate days. I would recommend Central as it is a much bigger shopping mall with a myraid of shops and restaurants to suit every liking. Overall, we didn't feel that the price we paid for the one bedroom Sala pool villa was worth it. We stayed at The Pavilions on our first trip to Phuket in 2013. Our experience there was what brought us back to Phuket for a second time.

Room Tip: Choose a room nearer to the main building where breakfast is served as it sometimes takes 10mins or...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Skyrabbit99
Reviewed 31 May 2014

food is not great at all, breakfast is the best meal you can do there beutifull views cart service is fast but the place is ok nothing is special in my opinion.
and far for most of the stuff to do in phuket

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
StarwoodPhuket, General Manager at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Jaloga80,

Thank you sharing your feedback with us. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and the beautiful views from our Seasonal Tastes restaurant.

I have noted your comments on the food and shared it with the team. Thank you for your review and I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Is a very big resort. There is 3 swimming pools at 3 different area so the guest don't need to walk too far. The restaurant is in the middle where the receptionit is so if your room is far then you can call for a buggy to pick you up.
The view is amazing. They have many different kind of room. There are chalet, standard room also room with plunge pool. The beach is just down there but also some walk since the resort is so big. There is a lot of pandan plants along the way so it smell good when you walk through it. I like the station where you can get ice cube, ice cream and drinks free of charge.

Room Tip: Try to get the room near to the restaurant if you don't like to walk but view are nice if the ro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Anniegmy,

Thank you for your fantastic feedback about stay experience. It is wonderful to hear that you took time to explore the resort facilities. Thank you for your positive note on the views and our rooms.

I hope you enjoyed your stay at The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa, Phuket and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This is my second stay at this hotel. The first time the stay was outstanding. Outstanding enough to warrant a second stay. As a frequent traveller I rarely stay at the same hotel twice when I am on vacation. I have platinum status with Starwood so some things are included. So let's start with the good and move on to areas that need improvement.

Good
Wifi signal is strong and at a nice 30+ megs per second
Pools and surrounding upkeep is excellent
Air conditioners work well and consistent
Water pressure is good
They have improved the buggies that take you to your room
Breakfast had nice juice and bread selection
Platinum happy hour 6-7.30.

Bad
Platinum recognition not automatic. The checkin guy was selling me on additional breakfast. I had to explain breakfast was included for spg plat
Breakfast fruit selection was pitiful. Green and purple grapes, oranges and papaya. (I did not come to Phuket to eat fruits I normally eat at home). I will include pictures as this was laughable
No young coconuts for drinking. I mean they have only a few hundred coconut trees on the property.
Breakfast hot food is terrible. The noodles were mush. I am not Thai and could cook better noodles blindfolded. Bacon was not crispy. Breakfast potatoes were disgusting.
The overall breakfast was so bad I ended up eating sandwich meat on crackers.
Platinum upgrade was to a very strange so called Discovery Suite. This was slightly better than a regular room but really not by much.

In my personal opinion I will not return to this property. There has been a noticeable overall drop in the overall experience. I know that the gm here has changed since our first stay so I am unsure if that has anything to do with it. With the number of Starwood properties in Thailand I am sure there are much better options in the same price range.

During our first stay we were getting raped by the local taxi mafia each time we left the property. As a result we ended up renting our own car. It's never fun driving in a developing country but it was either that or getting raped.

If this property wants to try a good breakfast buffet, I suggest the Le Meridien in Bangkok. Now that is a real buffet. It is a night and day type of difference.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tfong010
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Really enjoyed the resort. Though some of our time was wasted because of the rains, we really loved the hospitality . Seasonal Tastes is a must , so is the chinese restaurant. One tip is that there is hardly a usable beach where you can chill but overall worth the visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sophia W,

Thank you for your recommendation and sharing positive feedback about your recent stay with us. It was my pleasure to have you as our guest and hope to see you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phuket Town
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 331 in Patong
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket? Share your experiences!