“Amazing value - shame about noise ”
Review of Chinotel Phuket

Chinotel Phuket
Ranked #12 of 90 Hotels in Phuket Town
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I would love to give this place 5 stars. It cost me and my girlfriend less than a tenner a night each to stay here, and we stayed for 2 nights. The room was quaint and pretty, as shown in the pictures, there was a kettle in the room (first place I've stayed in Thailand to have one) and the hot water shower was lovely, also first since I've been here!

I'm not usually one to moan about noise (had a little bit of street noise and bike noise through the night in my previous hotel and didn't mention this in the review I wrote for that) but this place was horrendous. Our first night around 3am I woke up to sounds of loud motorbikes going past constantly, people shouting, metal clanging and general hustle and bustle. When I was woken I was really confused, at first I thought perhaps I'd slept right through and it was now lunchtime because of the noise as the street can't surely be this loud in the middle of the night. Then I thought the window in my room was wide open because the noise from the street was *so* clean. There was no muffle or damp to the sound which a window normally provides. It was really odd. The noises were just coming into the room at what seemed like the normal volume as if there was no window at all. I looked at my watch and it said 3.30am, then I pulled open my curtain to see the street looking horrendously busy with all the Thai people setting up their market stalls. It was actually quite a cool sight, and was strange to see so much life at 3.30am, but we had to be up at 6.30am to be picked up for our safari tour at 7am so a bad night sleep is the last thing we needed.

Admittedly it did quieten down around 4am and I was able to get back to sleep again, but that agonizing feeling of not being able to sleep because of something out your control is really irritating. The second night was the same, but as I was so tired from the safari I managed to send myself back to sleep pretty quickly every time I was woken by sound, which was a good 10 times.

It's a shame because the hotel is nice and amazing value, and perhaps if I had been put in a room facing the other side it wouldn't have been so bad. I would still recommend people to stay here if you can sleep through thunderstorms, or request your room be put on the street not facing the main road/market.

PS I'm writing this review from my bed in the Chinotel (it's 9.30am) and suddenly a noise of a key in the door and someone trying to get in startled us. I was shouting 'hello? Hello?!' But the key turning persisted until the cleaner opened the door, said sorry and disappeared. A little odd!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Callum M
There are newer reviews for Chinotel Phuket

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Loved this place! The standard is truly exceptional for the price you pay, especially in high season. It has a very modern design, is very clean and has one of the best hot showers in Thailand. Location is great, right in the centre of town near all the buses that take you to all the beaches. The hotel hires out really good mopeds too. Staff are very friendly and helpful, we were able to get an early check in after a night bus which is always a blessing. Great hotel all round.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave_Basia
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for one night before heading to Koh Samui. We weren't wanting much as we weren't going to be there long but this place was good. Close to markets, clean bed, hot shower, good wifi. Very good price for what you get. About half an hour drive from airport.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights for a total price of about $150 USD in the peak season between Christmas and New Year.

Due to being next door to the market, it was noisy with the sound of delivery bikes and tuk-tuks, but we weren't woken or bothered much by it.

Rooms are clean and quite stylish, and the shuttle busses that go to each of the Island's beaches leave from the street just outside the hotel - its only about 40 baht per head to get to Nai Harn or Patong.

Phuket Old Town is two blocks away - beautiful streets of old Sino-portugese shophouses and some great cafes and restaurants.

I'm not sure if it is a regular occurrence, but on Sunday night, the main road that runs through old town was closed off and filled with market stalls- fantastic food and atmosphere, one of the highlights of our trip. (I thought the weekend market was awful - full of cheap tat and potential food poisoning)

We had a great breakfast on our last day there in a local restaurant in the street just across the road from the hotel (in the street that has quite a few market trolleys).

Downsides were that the hot water tended to be either too hot or too cold, and the shower didn't drain well. Plus there was no safe in the room, and staff didn't want to keep valuables for us. We just kept our passports locked in our luggage and didn't feel too concerned about it.

Overall, a great central location for the various tours and trips we'd booked throughout our stay in Phuket.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, so may be why it was quieter - though be prepared to take your own bags up...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The interior decoration of the room is very new, modern, clean. It's really a value for money hotel. And the location is great, there a lot of restaurants, convenient stores, super markets, very convenient to explore the city.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We checked in at 1.30am due to a late flight and they were very welcoming. Very clean room and bathroom and very friendly staff. They supplied soap for hands and showering which I have found rare while in Thailand.It was rather noisy though as it was on a very busy road.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beckybrummer
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Very clean hotel with helpful staff. Beds were as hard as a rock but no complaints on the room besides that. Good choice if you need a quick stay before moving on to other islands. Area was kind of sketchy but a quick drive to better areas.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple