“Beautifully appointed rooms and hotel, location so-so”
Review of Chinotel Phuket

Chinotel Phuket
Ranked #12 of 90 Hotels in Phuket Town
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed for two nights in Jan 2014, and the hotel itself is lovely. Very modern decor and very clean. Beds are medium to hard which is normal in Thailand. The staff was great and wifi mostly in the lobby not in rooms. Can rent a scooter there as well. Mini fridge with beer and water for minimal charge. A little difficult to find as it's entrance is down an alley but just tell transport it's on Ranong rd (it's short) by the market and they will know. Our room was the closest to the market. I hate to be negative because the hotel itself is very nice but if truth be told this hotel room was loud all night long. The market is a true local market that loads up all night long so you will hear trucks and roaring motorbikes all thought the night. Ask for a room at the back. It might be quieter. For the price we were pleasantly surprised at its quality in general. The staff was great and helpful and fairly good English. Always a smile. Arranged transport to Cape Panwa (GO HERE!!) and wrote the address in Thai for the driver as the Cape is a sleepy area and he wasn't 100% positive where it was but found it no problem and even waited until we successfully checked in at The Panwa Guesthouse (amazing). The location is very busy and hectic. Phuketique coffee shop on the corner was awesome and quiet and had a/c and free wifi.

1  Thank ShelleyPohl
There are newer reviews for Chinotel Phuket

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have booked this hotel for one night before departure Ko phi phi and it was a quite a comfortable large room with AC, clean, no insects. There is always someone at the front desk (lobby) and the staff is very helpful for activities and other informations.

Just a note here, you must make a deposit of 500 THB for the key, which it is not mentionned anywhere through the booking...

I really recommend this place, it is well-located in phuket town and close to transports and restaurants.

Room Tip: The junior deluxe on 2nd floor was clean and comfortable with a good A/C.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PositiveTravel2014
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Room was clean and small, but it doesn't matter as we stayed at the hotel only for sleeping.. Reception was helpful even it took a lot of effort to understand as they couldn't talk in english.. The poor thing was the smell from market next to the hotel..

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 12 January 2014

A very nice hotel that is situated right by the main bus terminal of phuket town. This means you can go to patong, rawai, karon, kata, etc for roughly 30-35 baht. This is in comparison to the roughly 300 baht minimum it costs to go anywhere in phuket by cab. Be careful not to miss the last bus back, or you will be stuck with a 500 baht (if you're lucky) cab fee.

Phuket town is not as busy and cluttered as Patong and there is a distinct lack of prostitutes as it is much more quaint. The room itself was clean with free water, hot shower, and great service. The only downsides to this hotel are the wifi (basically unusably) and the fact that there is not elevator so you may be stuck carrying your luggage up 3-5 flights of stairs. However, if needed, there are computers downstairs for 40 baht/hour. Overall, I would stay here again if going to Phuket as it really is a great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Very clean rooms and additional features such as kettle in room for very low price. Stated there two nights and you probably don't need more. The hotel is located in old Phuket town so very handy if you want to be dropped right in the middle of the Thai culture and way if life. Markets are literally outside your window so you will get the early morning noise and the 'authentic' Thai market smell as you step out the door.
Overall a very nice hotel with nice staff and ideally located if you want to see how people really live there. I actually really liked the experience.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I would love to give this place 5 stars. It cost me and my girlfriend less than a tenner a night each to stay here, and we stayed for 2 nights. The room was quaint and pretty, as shown in the pictures, there was a kettle in the room (first place I've stayed in Thailand to have one) and the hot water shower was lovely, also first since I've been here!

I'm not usually one to moan about noise (had a little bit of street noise and bike noise through the night in my previous hotel and didn't mention this in the review I wrote for that) but this place was horrendous. Our first night around 3am I woke up to sounds of loud motorbikes going past constantly, people shouting, metal clanging and general hustle and bustle. When I was woken I was really confused, at first I thought perhaps I'd slept right through and it was now lunchtime because of the noise as the street can't surely be this loud in the middle of the night. Then I thought the window in my room was wide open because the noise from the street was *so* clean. There was no muffle or damp to the sound which a window normally provides. It was really odd. The noises were just coming into the room at what seemed like the normal volume as if there was no window at all. I looked at my watch and it said 3.30am, then I pulled open my curtain to see the street looking horrendously busy with all the Thai people setting up their market stalls. It was actually quite a cool sight, and was strange to see so much life at 3.30am, but we had to be up at 6.30am to be picked up for our safari tour at 7am so a bad night sleep is the last thing we needed.

Admittedly it did quieten down around 4am and I was able to get back to sleep again, but that agonizing feeling of not being able to sleep because of something out your control is really irritating. The second night was the same, but as I was so tired from the safari I managed to send myself back to sleep pretty quickly every time I was woken by sound, which was a good 10 times.

It's a shame because the hotel is nice and amazing value, and perhaps if I had been put in a room facing the other side it wouldn't have been so bad. I would still recommend people to stay here if you can sleep through thunderstorms, or request your room be put on the street not facing the main road/market.

PS I'm writing this review from my bed in the Chinotel (it's 9.30am) and suddenly a noise of a key in the door and someone trying to get in startled us. I was shouting 'hello? Hello?!' But the key turning persisted until the cleaner opened the door, said sorry and disappeared. A little odd!

1  Thank Callum M
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Loved this place! The standard is truly exceptional for the price you pay, especially in high season. It has a very modern design, is very clean and has one of the best hot showers in Thailand. Location is great, right in the centre of town near all the buses that take you to all the beaches. The hotel hires out really good mopeds too. Staff are very friendly and helpful, we were able to get an early check in after a night bus which is always a blessing. Great hotel all round.

1  Thank Dave_Basia