“Great day out however could be improved”
Review of ATV Phuket Tours

ATV Phuket Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$99.57*
and up
2-Hour ATV Tour from Phuket
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

We booked directly via the tour web page and paid the quoted amounts. However reading some previous reviews options to book the tour are available in the street at discounted rates. My bad as I should have down more research on costs. Anyway pick up was on time which is always a good thing. I will not explain the details of the tour as this is covered extensively on a previous post.

We arrived at base camp with only another couple in our group. Both newbies to ATVs. As we had a small group I thought the pace would move along nicely. Wrong! We moved at almost walking pace for some kilometres which was boring. We did have a couple of drink stops and some fun with the guides however. Once we reached a waterfall where we took a dip the group split. Thank god. That's were the fun started for my son and I. We had the ATV running up a river and reasonable pace which was tricking in some sections. Then we mad our way up to the main road and continued through villages and plantations. This was the highlight of the tour. It's a great adventure and safety is paramount which I respect. However perhaps rider experience should be considered also prior to organising the groups for the day. Lunch was ordinary for the price paid. Sandwiches with ham and spreadable cheese! Some fruit and snacks. Nothing to write home about. The day was good but could be great with some small modifications to the tour speed when newbies are involved and food selection.

1  Thank VenetianAussie

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just returned from our 4 th trip to Phuket and my second time with ATV Adventures ,, once again a fantastic day,, This time I took my wife on the back as a passenger for the 3 hr tour and she loved every minute of it,, went on different tracks from the first time and so much to see , we even crossed paths with a working Elephant, Guides were great as usual and made the whole day a fun filled experience, we will definitely be back

1  Thank Vulcan90049
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Me and my friends took the 1hr atv and elephant ride which I enjoyed a lot but my friends that had done this sort of thing before said the atv was a little slow and basically following a small track, saying this I really had fun and all of us loved the elephant ride. It looked like they took good care of the animals, didn't see any hitting of the animals like some people mention.
All in all a good day and worth the money. Thanks V

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Did the 1 hour ATV tour and 30 min elephant ride. The ATV tour beats sitting in a hotel room doing nothing, but it was fairly boring and average- couldn't go very fast, zig zag etc. had to slowly follow 5M behind the person in front. The scenery was dull - no rainforest or creeks etc, only bush tracks. We did see the ocean, but that was average also.

Safety run down was just OK- I had ridden before but my partner as her friend hadn't and didn't know to lean your body to counter the machine tilting, consequently one of them nearly got hurt when she nearly fell off and put her leg out, the other ran into a tree. Also no warning about low lying branches was given, or the pet dogs lying very close to the track at one point.

On that subject, after the tree was hit the bull bar was bent a bit. The tour guides tried to bend it back with branches right there on the track, snapping them and getting nowhere. Then after the ride the owner was informed, who called our female friend over whilst he and his staff spoke about the damage and I had to walk over there for support, as I hoped it didn't turn into a "you're liable for these damages" thing. The owner ended up saying there was some damage underneath the bumper, but staff said they already knew about it, so he said it's ok. I would have challenged him if he had of tried to put any sort of liability on her- I basically think he wanted to scare her!

Anyway the fruit served after this was amazing and hit the spot, as well as a soft drink, and way they framed the photos they took of us during the ride was cool- I didn't get mine but the girls got one.

Overall the staff were friendly and pleasant.

Next was the elephant ride which was held at a different location by a different company. The general feel of this place was cold and impersonal. The elephants whilst cool to see and say we've ridden one, was an experience neither of us will repeat. Safety was very, poor. The only thing keeping us on our seat apart from our grip on the seat frame, was a plastic covered rope that was very loosely sitting in front of us- which led to a very stressful time when we made a steep descent. The seat was vinyl, we were at a sharp decline, and the loose rope if held would push out tight at arms length, no good for my small girlfriend who was terrified and almost cried several times. I ended up looping it around a bit of the frame which tightened it up quite well but the worst was over by then. We were given the opportunity to "drive" the elephant (sit on his neck/ behind head)- but I declined due to earlier scare and the realisation of what damage could occur should I fall from that height.

The "driver", apart from poor safety standards was quite good, he hand crafted a locust/grasshoppers out of long piece of grass whilst riding the elephant- impressive, and gave it to my girlfriend. Also he took photos of us with our own phone cameras, whilst he was on the ground leading the elephant along.

Can cross off list now but was a disappointing and stressful experience.

1  Thank Luke M
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Our family went to Thailand in November and we went on the white water rafting and elephant rides. They were great except for buying the DVD and getting home and there is NOTHING on it! So beware of what you buy as our experience is now not to be seen!

1  Thank Lealea21