“Rude staff. Female travellers stay away.”

Royal Phuket City Hotel
Ranked #37 of 90 Hotels in Phuket Town
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Due to last minute change to itinerary, my friend and I needed to stay three days in Phuket, and chose the Royal Phuket City Hotel because of it's locality and the fancy website.
It was apparent to us immediately that the staff (male and female) found two females travelling without a male chaperone to be highly offensive. The waitresses avoided eye contact with us in the cocktail lounge and walked around serving every male in room, leaving us having to approach the bar or call out to place a food or drink order - every day for three days. It seemed too much trouble for housekeeping to enter our room, we had to chase the trolley to get water and towels for our room that was never touched as far as we could tell.
We also had major issues over the billing for our room. We explained that our company would pay for our accomodation and breakfast. However, when the company called the hotel to settle the bill, they were told by the Hotel that he guests have paid and then the phone was quickly hung up by the Hotel staff. The staff at reception did however tell us that the company had called them and paid for the room. But when we went to check out of the room, we were told that we had to pay for the room. I advised that if we fax the bill to the company, it would be paid immediately. I paid cash for a fax to be sent. I called the company they said they recieved it and would make payment. We stood around looking at each other for a while waiting to recieve the payment confirmation fax at the hotel. Minutes ticked by as the stone faced manager witch at reception seethed behind the desk and started pressuring my travel companion to pay by creditcard. Meanwhile, the company had paid in full but was unable to contact the hotel. In fear of missing our plane, we also paid the bill by creditcard and were finally allowed to load our luggage which was being held as if hostage into our waiting transport. Not expensive to stay here, certainly not worth paying for it twice. The worst service we had experienced in our entire three week trip. Will never again go anywhere near this horrible place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank mel-staroonie
There are newer reviews for Royal Phuket City Hotel

Reviewed 19 July 2012

The room I got smelled musty. Bed and toilet was clean. Food was ok. We had an advance but were still made to wait for 1 hours before we could get our rooms as they claimed that the rooms alloted to us has not been vacated by the previous occupants.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Phuket is our second home; we lived here for 6 years and return once or twice each year. A stay in Town is more convenient for our needs than a Beach destination and, over the years, RPC has become our 'regular' hotel.

On this stay we booked 2 room for 15 nights - a total of 30 nights.

The RPC has never been anywhere near a 5 star hotel, but, with all of it's faults, we've considered it good value for money up until now. We all know that you get what you pay for and, keeping in ,mind the reasonable rates, RPC has always kept us reasonably satisfied - that is until this last visit, which we're sorry to say will probably be our last one at the hotel.

Here are a summary of experiences during our stay:

~ On check in I was told that the Hotel policy is now to receive full payment at check in. I've checked the terms and conditions attached to our booking and this was never mentioned - so left me feeling slightly irritated.

~ On check in I was told that the Hotel policy was to take 1,000 Baht per room, cash, as a deposit for any damage. I pointed out that I had just paid for the total cost of 30 nights in the hotel and had no intention of leaving any deposit. I didn't and wasn't 'chased'

~ When we arrived to our room we were extremely embarrassed to find it already occupied and walked in on a middle aged woman lying down. This is the first time I've ever experienced this.

~ We were moved to two connecting rooms and 'unpacked'. It was a little disconcerting to be greeted by a laminated sheet of paper in the room, explaining hotel policy in the event of things going missing from the room. Is this a problem I wonder?

~ Of the two rooms, only one shower was usable - the other had no pressure at all.

~ One of the bathrooms (the one that had a working shower) had a leak from the back of the toilet. We pointed this out to housekeeping on the morning of day 2 - it was finally fixed on day 13 of our stay

~ There was maintenance work going on on our floor - quite a bit of drilling. This work seemed to move to the floor above us during our stay and started regularly in the mornings and went on throughout the day. I was disappointed that the hotel did not refer to the work at my time of booking or check in (which, in my experience, is normal practice)

~ We returned to the hotel after a day out, only to be stopped from accessing the lifts by a security guard who explained that the hotel had just been fumigated. A guest then emerged from the lift, barely able to breathe and advising us not to go up. When we enquired as to why guests weren't told about the fumigation, the front desk advised that they'd phoned our room the day before but there was no answer. Is there no facility to deliver a simple note under the door a few days in advance?

~ When we return on 'fumigation day' we found the hotel still quite smelly. We contacted the front desk to ask what chemicals had been used - as one of our little ones has respiratory sensitivity. The front desk explained that they had no idea but would find out for us - 30 minutes later they called to say that no-one in the hotel has any idea what chemicals were used. A bit worrying - but no harm done, little one was fine.

~ On one evening the TV failed and we were told that all of the higher floors had lost TV connection. The front desk did not seem to be too concerned until we asked for the contact details of the GM (which they avoided to give quite skillfully :-)) but we were offered access to a room on a lower floor until the TV was fixed - this was a good solution and was appreciated by us.

~ Breakfast was very poor - we used it twice in 15 days - and even then only for fruit, toast and juice.

~ The general repair of public areas is poor and it is common to pass by leaks, holes in ceilings, loose electrical sockets etc

~ We had been expecting a delivery to the hotel and when it hadn't arrived called the vendor who told us that it was delivered a few days before. I asked at the front desk and no-one had any idea what I was talking about - someone then appeared and said 'is this it?' - it was, and I was allowed to take it without signing for it. I tried to ask why no-one had called me to say it had been delivered - but my question fell on deaf ears.

~ Level of English of most of the hotel staff is very poor.

So - as I say - you get what you pay for, but I'm afraid that the general state of repair of this hotel, alongside discernible deterioration in customer service, means that we no longer consider this value for money and our future stays will be elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Paul F
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This is a large, characterless city center hotel with well sized rooms but it needs to improve it's housekeeping. It claims to be "smoke-free" but they are clearly not enforcing this. I had to try three rooms before I could find one that did not stink of smoke. This is probably due to the hotel's primary market being the Thai business people. Also, although the rooms are clean and well maintained, the common areas are not. The carpets in the halls and elevators are stained and look like they haven't been vacuumed in weeks.

They also charge extra for wi-fi in the rooms where the signal is very weak and often non-existent.

Good location for Phuket Old Town though.

Room Tip: Make sure you check out the room before you unpack.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2012

we stayed here for two nights why we sorted out our next travels our price included breakfast
great breakfast
amazing gym and good swimming pool

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed there since last March while I was traveling with my Dad and Mom. I chose here to be our first night accom. Hotel's location is superb. My aim for first night was all about Phuet ity and night life, RPC was the right answer.
The thing which need urgently improve was cracks and holes between mirrors. As we stayed in Pakarang Suite, it was raining at that time and spread around area near the mirror especially there was many plugs nearby.
The rest were all OK. Good choice for city hotel.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I simply cannot believe that a brand like Virgin Airlines would ever want any one of their customers, (let alone their poor staff), to be housed at this bug-riddled piece of guano. And now, suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder from my experience at this hotel, this is what I have to say...

I never wanted to stay at this hotel, and I never will again, but after Virgin cancelled our flight home (at 10.45 pm), I joined 60 other disappointed customers who were herded onto a bus and unceremoniously dumped at the the entrance to the Royal Phuket Hotel.

And then the fun began.

After handling my own luggage through the lobby and getting my room card, I took the elevator to the 12th floor. The moment the door opened, my mouth did too!

The carpets were ripped and worn, the wall paper and paint was flaking, the stench of cigarettes worthy of an old pub. And upon entering my room, I knew I was in for an experience worthy of hotel hell because this was not much better either.

Armed with my camera, I immediately checked the bathroom, which might as well have been a public toilet in Chernobyl since the cockroaches were having a ball in the bath and the ants pouring out of the sink overflow. The enamel was chipped in the bath tub, mould was all over the shower tiles, and the pink grouting (lovely!) like dried bubble gum lines. Horrible is a nice way to describe my 'Soviet' experience!

I headed immediately for the bar downstairs and was forced to endure a 60 year old Japanese man in full karaoke mode singing songs that sounded like a cat going through a blender. I was then told I couldn't put my drink on the room tab (because we were the evil Virgin customers that had got off the bus and were obviously not going to pay for anything!). The list goes on; uncaring and inattentive staff etc.

Honestly, the website for this hotel is totally misleading with doctored, photo-shopped pictures that bear little resemblance to the hell you will face if you stay there. One consolation was the food in the lower restaurant. I did have a "nice" fried rice something for dinner. However, breakfast on the 19th floor was repulsive.

My parting view is that this hotel is abused by airlines who cancel passengers as I can see no reason why anyone would stay there.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family