“153 cafe / located in Phuket Royal City Hotel.”

Royal Phuket City Hotel
Ranked #62 of 90 Hotels in Phuket Town
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

This is uniquely my review about the coffee shop/Bakery/Restaurant "154 Café" located in this hotel.

Good variety of ;freshly brewed) coffee (hot/cold), pastry & sandwiches available free wifi, comfy sitting (indoor/outdoor), clean toilet and it's open till late (~12:30am) good value for money !
One of my favourite downtown Phuket city !
* I've forgotten...easy parking too !
(juste use the hotel facilities)

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank mariworld
There are newer reviews for Royal Phuket City Hotel

Reviewed 10 January 2013

The location is good, the rooms are clean, and the gym is full-service. The hotel lobby was well-decorated. There seemed to be some fun entertainment down there. The cafe and the spa were both convenient.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Booked this hotel for 3 nights while staying in Phuket town before heading to the beach zone. Its nice and clean with a walking distance to Phuket old town and museums and restaurants. Bad thing is no free wifi but look back to the website for other hotels and found that even small guesthouse provided free wifi. Thai food is good there but dont try werstern there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blueskylight
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed in this hotel when we wanted to experience Phuket Vegetarian Festival 2012. From the Airport, the bus travelled through windy roads and suburban areas. When we were near to Central Festival, a huge shopping centre near town, the signage points the direction of this hotel, I suppose for car drivers who came from nearby Hatyai or Hua Hin.

Upon arrival, the receptionist checked us in within a few minutes and we were given coupons for a welcome herbal drink at the lobby lounge. The good thing about this is that we could postpone taking our drinks and have them within the period of our stay. We were also given the breakfast coupons for daily complimentary breakfast at the 19th level of the hotel.

The hotel boasts of a Chinese/Thai restaurant, a swimming pool, a gym and a spa/massage centre. It seems this hotel is complete as the management keeps the comfort of guests in mind. They even gave us a small platter of fruits, not much, but it gives us an indication that they care.

The room is huge with twin beds, table and chairs. The view from the winder was also fantastic. And during the night, we had a good night sleep. The only point which I hope the management will improve upon are the bathroom showers. They have two, one for hot and the other for cold water. Mixed the two and we could have water in the right temperature. But this was not to be. It was very difficult to control. When it is cold, we turned on more hot water, then it became too hot. We turned it the other way and we had very cold water. It took us five days to learn how to sort it out. Why install two shower heads when one will do?

The sights and sounds of the Vegetarian Festival street procession happen right infront of Metropole hotel, a 5-minute walk away. So when we saw the crowds and the ceaseless sounds, we were happy to walk back to our hotel to enjoy the tranquil peace and sleep.

At the time of our visit, the hotel was undergoing some renovation, but it does not affect our stay a bit.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Edyharto
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My wife and I spent the first night of our honeymoon here. Fortunately, we were only here for 1 night as it was purely somewhere to sleep for the night after arriving in Thailand that evening before Travelling to Phi Phi the next day.

Initially I was pleasantly surprised on entering the hotel. The lobby was quite nice, with a nice bar as you walked in with live music playing.

Check in was swift and although the girls didn't talk very much English, they were very pleasant and friendly.

The room, however, was very disappointing. We stayed in 3 hotels during our 10 day trip. We stayed here, and in two genuine 5 star resorts. This place was the most expensive and far and away the worst of the 3 places we stayed in.

The ac was old, rattled and gave out a very damp smell when it was switched on. The bed side lamps were still wrapped in plastic, one of them didn't work and the lampshades would fall off if you so much as sneezed near it.

We didn't realise that the room was not for our exclusive use either, with a number of cockroaches deciding to spend the night with us. On the plus side, at least they were hygiene-aware roaches as they seemed to enjoy taking showers in the rust riddled bath.

Carpets were worn and dirty, bathroom very tired with an over used bath as mentioned, not to mention a nice brown hue to the water that came from the taps..... We did however get free bottled water so we could brush our teeth without fear.

Breakfast again was very disappointing. Assorted Thai 'stuff', (fried colored things of rubbery consistency cooked in lots of oil and soy sauce) or assorted British 'stuff' (fried colored things of rubbery consistency cooked in lots of oil) was the sum of the hot breakfast. The fruit was ok but not ripe.

The only positive was that because we had arrived late the night before, we ate in the same restaurant that served breakfast and the contrast was huge. Both my wife and I really liked our dinner. She had sea bass and I had a mixed seafood kebab and both were delicious and well presented. This just makes it all the more baffling that breakfast was such a disaster.

In conclusion, avoid this hotel unless you really are desperate. Although this was my first trip to Phuket, I find it really hard to believe that there isn't better accommodation for a much lower price.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank VampyVampy
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I stayed there for the night of 4th August only as I was transferring to Phi Phi Island next morning.
The staff is very helpful and polite and my check in was swift.
The hotel is graded as "4 Stars" by Thai Tourism Authority and a copy of the certification is available in the Booklet at the room. But I have to say that everything in the Room and Bathroom are old, not maintained properly and worn out.
The Non Smoking room still had a "musky" smell in it. The Tub in the Bathroom is rusted out. My wife could not gather courage to take a shower in it. Also saw the smallest Toilet Bowl in my life here...:)

The Cafe was open late and the food quality was good. Morning breakfast buffet spread was good as well.

They are currently upgrading some floors and I hope the whole hotel will be face lifted under this process.

All in all, an acceptable stay for the short time period.

Room Tip: Renovation work was underway on 5/6th floor. So try to get a room on the top floors to stay away fro...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2012 via mobile

The front desk was full of unhappy and annoyed staffs. It seems every customer are interrupting their free time.

Upon checking in the reception called the maid to ask if a room is ready for guest. Then I was given a key and bags dropped off. Layer that night I found that I had no hot water. When I called the front desk to ask to fix this. I was immediately told that my room hot water is under maintenance. Which means they knew from the beginning yet still put me in that room.

The hotel rate itself 4 stars. I would give at most 3 stars. It's not for travelers unless u have business in Phuket downtown area. Any visit to the beach will cost you 4-600 baht taxi each way.

• Stayed: July 2012