“Total rip-off, stay away , this place is a disgrace”
Review of Sarasin restaurant

Cuisines: Thai
Description: Nr sarasin bridge..just before
Description: Nr sarasin bridge..just before
Bangkok, Thailand
“Total rip-off, stay away , this place is a disgrace”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I have read the reviews with interest ..obviously all those who raved about the food and agreed to pay mega prices are either tourists on high budgets or they are simply mentally impaired by the view and the setting and blindly accept the ridiculously and outrageous high prices charged for average food.

I have lived and worked in South East Asia for over 30 years, and I have a home in Phuket for almost 20 years. I am saying this because it does give me a bit of experience when it comes to price and quality. I have never ever had such a rip off experience in all my years living in Asia ..so this is a first to me. I am livid with anger for the obvious and blatant cheating in this place.

This restaurant has a 2 pricing system; the gold menue is for tourists/farangs, the blue coloured menu is for Thais. I was with a group of Thai people and yet they gave us all gold coloured menues.

Looking at the prices ..we knew that this is cheating on a grand scale ..nevertheless we said ..lets check it out. Bottled water BT 50! San Miguel Light - BT 150.

Now to the food: the tod man kung was good but for BT 280 ? Mixed vegetables BT 280 ..now you get the drift ? These are just basic dishes ..now imagine you are going for a complete fish, lobsters etc ..I hope your wallet has enough cash.

When we saw the local lower income group customers walking in ..we finally knew that we were really being royally ripped off.

For all those with a penchant for a nice view towards the bridge .ok ..and if you have lots of cash to spare ..by all means go ahead and be blind what you are paying for. It is exactly you people who drive up the prices.

This place should be marked as a major tourist rip off ..unfortunately no authority on Phuket can be bothered to tell these people that they are cheating customers.

For good fresh seafood ..please do head for the better known restaurants at the east coast ..

Thanoon Sarasin Seafood is a major rip off and a disgrace to Phuket !

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Michael P

Hong kong
“Total Rip Off_Bad and Cheating”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I wish I would have checked Tripadvisor before we went to Sarasin.
We were recommended by hotel staff to this "nice" seafood restaurant.
Turned out they hv 2 different menu, one for foreigner and one for local. The prices have a huge difference! my omellete with crap meat was 280 Baht but local menu was 70Baht!!!
The soft shell crab dish came as 500Baht but have only 6 tiny [no more than 2cm long] crabs all burnt in dark color. Oh and the garlic shrimp was the most amazing one. It's one-tenth the size shown from the pix on the menu.
On the following days to come, we were recommended by different taxi drivers to go to Sarasin, even though we have told them the name of another restaurant specifically. I guess Sarasin have paid the cab drivers commission for bringing tourists there.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Fiona Y
Chalong, Thailand
“rip off”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

There is one seafood just before the bridge its called "Serasin Seafood"

but i wouldent advice anyone to eat there becuse they have one price for foreigner and one price for thais

one exempel is tord man gung 120thb if you get the thai-meny but foreigner-menu it cost 280thb

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank wisv19
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great find!”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Initially we wanted to go to a restaurant rated highly by other reviewers but it was closed so we went to this one just before the bridge on left to mainland . Ok it is basic but the food was really fresh and much much better than our 5 star hotel or any other local restaurant we have eaten in.sounds like I loved it..well to put it in perspective we were the only guests and were a bit scared the food wouldn't,t be fresh but it was delicious . Have a go if you like and get the place humming ,the lovely chef Deserves more custom! The staff don,t speak much English but there are pictures to point to! Mossie spray provided . I would love to see a few more reviews in the next year!

• Visited July 2012