“A magic little place”

The Memory at On On Hotel
Ranked #1 of 93 Hotels in Phuket Town
Reviewed 4 December 2013

What can I say? Amazing decor. Steeped in history. Super friendly front desk. Great location in Phuket old town. We loved our 1 night here. The lady at the front also told us that part of The Beach was filmed here. It's looking much nicer now! Recently renovated 4 months earlier (we were there in Nov 2013) the place was looking splendid. Breakfast was good too. Also a very handy location with great cafes and restaurants on the road behind. AND amazing value. Get there before it gets found out!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 November 2013

This hotel was built in 1929 and has recently been sympathetically refurbished. We stayed five nights in double room the price was around AUD 54.00 per night. Great staff helpfully enthusiastic and proud of their old building. They just opened the restaurant for breakfast training staff two days into our stay. So although our rate was no breakfast included they served us breakfast for three of the days we were there and threw it in for nothing. We were in Phuket for a city stay rather than a beach stay as we were off to Phi Phi next. This hotel is perfectly placed for this purpose. Old Phuket is very small really only a block and a half long by the same wide. This hotel is slap bang in the middle of it all. Ten minutes walk to the blue Elephant restaurant, two minutes to the rider cafe, 800 meters to the fresh food market and buses to the beaches. Hopefully within two months staff training and antique buying will allow full opening of the coffee shop, with cocktails dinner etc. So then it will be just great. There is a night market in the street behind on Sunday evenings. The staff are nice friendly and helpful. I like old buildings so that may be an influence but I felt very comfortable here, very at home. There were two issues with plumbing while we were there both of these were fixed within ten minutes of being reported. I needed some assistance with getting some ferry tickets printed out, no problem for the staff, happy to help. Just a genuinely nice place to stay with genuine nice people. Thumbs up from us.

Cheers

Gary

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Although I stayed just for one night to go to phi phi island, they were very welcoming. I made a booking for mixed dorm because it was the cheapest one but they changed the room to female dorm room for me! How thoughtful they are, I really appriciate that. Facilities are very new and cleaned, you can take a rest in a couch and also have some dinner or lunch with their little kitchen (they got spoons, folks, cups and microwave everything!) shared toilet and shower room was very cleaned and new as well. If you have to stay in phuket to go to phi phi island, this hotel is perfect. The harbor to go to phi phi is very close from this hotel, so i only paid 50B to go there by tuk-tuk. and also if you want to take a ferry to go to phi phi, you can take a ticket from this hotel for 300B. I bought the ticket in the harbor but it was 600B which is exactly two times expensive!

Room Tip: if you will go to phi phi, stay in dorm. cheap, cleaned, convenient.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I must have been to a 1000 hotels or more, from den to *****+, and the On On ranks, for what it is, among my top 10 ever. Every time I come back I discover something new. The love for detail that has gone into the refurbishment of this formally rather dire place is beyond compare. The quality of materials, the colours, the design, the spaces, the lights...I could go on forever. They don't even serve breakfast, but never mind. This is the place to go in old Phuket town. Besides it is the only authentic old hotel in this area, the others having been replaced by new buildings or only pretending to be old. This is the real thing: classic sino-portuguese architecture with a modern twist, a wonderful atmosphere and right in the middle of what is potentially a world heritage site.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was spended here for 3 night in dormitory room and it really wonderful because this hotel is really have a good welcome , achitecture is really amazing if u won't believe me, i guest u to visit here to confirm that here is really beautiful. Moreover , every facilities of this hotel are new and comfortable. Interestingly the room rate is quite cheap (400) but the service is really great like 4 or 5 stars hotel. I promise if i come to Phuket i will come to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed at the 4 beds female dorm with bathroom. Except of one night I was there by myself, so it was like having a private room. Everything is new! The hotel was fully renovated and opened its doors again a few months ago! The common spaces are awesome: spacious, comfortable, big TV, hot water, toaster, dishes, utensils are available. The room is big and the bed is comfortable, with clean white sheets and towels. There is a curtain, fixed around the bed, so you can have more intimacy. The bathroom is clean and well done! The only thing is that when you stay a few days as it was my case ( i stayed there twice for a few days) the staff don't clean properly the bathroom...you have to ask and even then it is average...also at night the security guy is watching the Tv downstairs and it can be loud sometimes, so you have to ask him to turn the volume a bit off...otherwise staff is very friendly and the lobby is very nice! You might find it expensive 500 bahts, but it is a great value for what you get! Besides, you'll sleep at the hotel where Lionardo Di Caprio walked...maybe you'll find the room where the scene was shot from the movie the Beach.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Bovornwit P, Manager at The Memory at On On Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

On behalf of management team we would like to thank you for your kind review and please accept our apologize for for the inconvenient caused you during your stay. We are currently working to solve theses problems in order to overcome and not to let them happen again. We are appreciate for inform us so that we can solve the problems immediately . We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I had a great time staying here. Traveling in Thailand has it's ups and downs. I had a pretty rough day until I walked into this hotel. It has a welcoming atmosphere, the staff are kind, and the room was very tastefully done. I found it a great base camp to Phuket town. I was able to hit sights pretty hard and then return back to recharge. The rooms all did face the main lobby, and at about 6:50 am some of the staff were talking out in the lobby. I don't know if this happens all of the time. I was at the hotel during the time of the Phuket Vegetarian Festival and during this time it is normal for fireworks to be lit at the same time in the morning! Would I stay at the Memory at On On again? Yes, and yes. Oh, and they have great artwork.

Room Tip: Request rooms in the back.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PerrBear
Bovornwit P, Manager at The Memory at On On Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

On behalf of our management team we are thank you for your kind review and we are sincere apologize for the noise in the morning as we are currently celebrate Vegetarian festival at the moment and some morning we have to set up the place ready for the god procession therefore it can cause some noise from the set up. However during normal time we are very strict with the noise in the morning especially on the ground floor. We hope to welcome you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phuket Town
Patong Mansion Hotel
#3 of 331 in Patong
The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa Phuket
Blu Monkey Hub and Hotel Phuket

Been to The Memory at On On Hotel? Share your experiences!