Review Highlights
Elephants!!

I think the best part of the whole experience was the Elephant trekking.I was a bit skeptical when... read more

Reviewed 30 August 2017
RajShetty72
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
via mobile
Must try when in phuket

You could book a bang Pae Safari half day tour from any of the agents around Phuket . Try... read more

Reviewed 16 June 2016

from US$90.50
from US$125.02
from US$98.70
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 November 2014 via mobile

It's so cool today. Real fresh air from nature. The biggest waterfall in Phuket at Bangpae waterfall in khai Pra Theo National Park.Happy to see gibbon habilitation. The foreigner is volunteers in Thailand. Thanks for their kind. Nice location for Elephant trekking because Elephant walk troughs little river from waterfall. This company do good take care with theirs animals. Beautiful buffalo and cart walk in the plain green field ,got feeling seem like Thai local people daily life. Thanks for Guide LadyBerry! Thanks for Driver(don't know his name ;) )

Reviewed 1 November 2014 via mobile

I did the Bang Pae Safari and really enjoyed the pretty waterfall and canoe ride. The Gibbon rehabilitation centre was an eye opening experience, they told me all about the plight of the Gibbon monkey in Thailand who are poached, drugged and kept captive to perform to tourists. The centre was doing a great job to rehabilitate these precious animals. But the elephant trek was just horrible and appalling. These beautiful creatures were chained to a very small concrete block, no bigger than a single car park. They looked extremely unhealthy and dehydrated with weeping eyes and dried out skin with sores. The keepers were way more interested in making some money off the photos than caring for the elephants and were very harsh with them constantly yelling orders at them and banging them with a knife ended stick. It's is clear that this instrument has been used to harshly train the poor elephants because any time the keeper got the stick out the elephant cowered and went back to following orders. (By the way the elephants only 'disobedience' was eating some grass off the ground.) In order for the people to ride atop the elephant there were chains all around it's body which looked incredibly tight and sore especially around it's neck. There were also many other animals kept in captivity there in terrible states including a huge majestic python in a cage fit for a hamster! I hope this review encourages the Bang Pae safari group to put money into helping these beautiful animals and making the tour much more animal friendly as it was incredibly upsetting seeing the elephants treated in such a cruel and violent way. Otherwise the other aspects of the tour were quite nice.

5  Thank louisemcalpine22
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Went on the mini safari. Wasn't quite what i expected, but still had fun.
Elephant trekking takes around 30 mins, through a little jungle and the fields. Then onto the Gibbon Project, which was interesting, and a walk to the waterfall. We went swimming - no one else was interested, but the guides waited for us, so not a problem.
Buffalo Cart ride - we could have happily skipped this part

Date of experience: August 2014
1  Thank mcgowan_elizabeth
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a 60 minute elephant trek through our hotel (around 1,200 baht) and we were not disappointed.

The elephants seem to be well cared for, despite the use of the elephant hook occasionally. Our elephant seemed pretty happy to carry three grown adults (not including our guide). I couldn't see any signs of distress among the animals, but I also didn't get to have a good look around. The only thing that bothered me was the two large pythons stuck in a cage that was obviously too small for them.

The trek itself was nice, through a stream and around the rainforest. It got even better when we were invited to take the guide's place behind the elephant's head, so we were literally riding the elephant. The guide offered to take my phone and he snapped LOADS of photos, even though professional photos were offered to purchase when we arrived.

As a tip, consider wearing sneakers or well fitted shoes that aren't likely to fall off your feet; there were a few moments when I felt like I might lose my thongs!

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Everything in Phuket is expensive, I agree. So this was a good deal since we got picked up from the hotel, driven around, saw a gibbon in a cage, rode an elephant with great photo ops thanks to our guide, got up close and personal with a water buffalo ( a common sight in the Philippines because it is our national animal, the carabao). The falls was barely flowing (the guide said it was due to the dry season) and we were left on our own to trek... we didn't know when to stop! We actually almost missed the falls. We were left to canoe by ourselves thru mangroves ( also a common sight in the Philippines) and without life vests!
sadly, there was no commentary during the duration of the activity....

Date of experience: March 2014