“"No Pool." She said with a sly smile.”
Review of Sinthavee Hotel

Sinthavee Hotel
Ranked #68 of 87 Hotels in Phuket Town
“"No Pool." She said with a sly smile.”
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

Oh, where to begin...This is a weird, weird hotel... I can't quite put my finger on it but it is kind of creepy, in a way that makes you amazed you are still alive in the morning. As we found ourselves back for a second night, it is starting to feel like the Hotel California.
We ended up here because it was the only "budget" hotel in Phuket that wasn't full. We paid $500 B. The staff are all very pleasant. The lobby is cavernous and devoid of human life. To get to the rooms, you walk down a large corridor that was once lined with shops, all of which are closed and empty. The elevator is scary and the lights that tell you what floor you are on short out. The carpets are filthy and stained and the hotel is massive and laid out in a confusing way. I do not believe the hotel owns a vacuum cleaner. The rooms have seen better days, the TV's don't work, some of the lights don't work, the floors are filthy' the windows are dirty BUT here is the weird thing... the bed sheets and bathrooms in both the rooms were surprisingly clean!
Upon our arrival on night two, I asked reception about the swimming pool that is pictured on Trip Advisor and other promotional photos, she laughed rather slyly, shook her head and said, "No. There is no pool here." Internet cost $50 B and the wi-fi works.
If the hotel stopped its false advertising (swimming pool, etc) and invested in some new carpet, paint, someone to service the elevator and a vacuum... it could actually be an okay place...

• Stayed February 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 10 October 2012

This hotel is an a value for money. the cleanliness is taken care of and the service is amazing :-). the rooms are of good quality and the swimming pool is amazing. this is a place you should go to if ur in phuket town and its very close to the bus stops

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Richard F
Luxembourg District, Luxembourg
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Taxi drivers at the airport burst into uncontrolled laugh when they heard where are we heading. Well, after getting there we realised why. This place is weird.

The lobby looks OK (although quite deserted) then you go through empty corridors, pass locked shops and service points, avoid stains on the floors and get to the room, which luckily is not as scary as you would imagine after seeing the corridors.

On the plus side:
- clean bed & bathroom (although corridor stains affect the general cleanliness score)
- free water (if we understood the sign correctly)
- good A/C
- if you arrive late you can get a good night sleep and move on the next day, just make sure you get a good online deal and don't pay much

On the minus side:
- creepy, weird place with lots of empty rooms (there was a gazillion of keys waiting in the lobby)
- common areas need refurbishment real soon or in fact needed it 10 years ago
- the rooms need a small revamp too but not as badly as the rest
- no hot water, crappy TV
- you can smoke in rooms (and you can tell that without seeing an ashtray)

Reception sells tickets to the Ko Phi Phi ferry for 450 baht – it is less than the advertised prices on the pier but more than some other agencies can offer.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Lukasz555

Travellers are raving about these Phuket Town hotels

Rosenheim, Germany
Reviewed 1 March 2012

i am used to hostels and dorms, but this is just creepy.
we where 5 guest total in that 11 floors high building.
everybody pays a other price from 1300-400 baht for the same room. breakfast is a joke.
i thought i play a survive video game (everything was closed and locked and looked like it was closed since the mid 1980s , balkony in 9th floor without a railing) ok, we survived it, we hadn´t a other chance, booked it as we arrived at night at the airport.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank alfredo n
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Where to start… Although our net stay in this hotel had taken about 30 minutes, it was one of the scariest experiences in our lives. All the Phuket Town is rather terrible than anything else and this horror hotel plays a major role in this dire, God-forgotten place. We booked our rooms in the SINthavee via some “nameless” travel agency on the Phuket Airport, a price 1200 b./room/night seemed reasonable due to very nice photos and recommendations in the hotel catalog that was shown us by a dishonest seller from the agency (if I met him again!!!). We also thought that the reasonable (but not low) prize is a guarantee the hotel should not be bad. The reality was awful! Time stopped 30-40 years ago there! The hotel lobby was weird, receptionists cannot speak English… but you are staying there and still hoping – “Ok, it could be worse. Maybe the room will be fine.” No. It won’t. Our walk between the lobby and the elevator was like in Chernobyl the day after, carpets in elevator, halls and rooms are covered by various stains (“Do you see it too? Is it really blood?”), insect and waste, bedding and curtains in our room dirty, plasters cracked, lights broken, fridge empty, door to some weird space called by hotel management as “balcony” or “terrace” could not be closed… Our favorite detail was an uninsulated electric cable leading circa 5 cm behind bed pillow. Ladies and gentlemen, it was a real electric bed!!! Immediately we start to think about group suicide, or trying to find a new hotel. The second alternative tightly won. We found probably the most expensive hotel in the city (must say on very, very average quality), but still at the great price considering our hole lives were at stake. Of course, any attempt to get our money back from the hotel management (we paid but not-consumed one night stay) was impossible. Never, ever, ever again!!! If you are not Fellini, Elli Roth or Tarantino thinking about a new horror movie, or if you are not freak scientist dealing with research of dangerous insect, or if you are not just crazy, avoid this place!

Room Tip: I guess there is no good room. Warning - the hotel website, catalog, promotion... All is one big LIE...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
12 Thank Ales598
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 26 January 2012

this hotels website is all lies. everything is shut down in this hotel (i went during the busiest season). the lobby looks ok and then you are shoved into a world of terror and abandonment. i felt like i was in the movie the shining as i walked to my 'deluxe room' on the 9th floor. I expected to see two twins ready to murder me around each bend. the restaurant was a lovely picture of 10 years of guestless preservation. As I arrived in my room, before me lay a picturesque scene of carpet stains and peeling cement. I contemplated sleeping on my balcony, until I walked out and realized one wrong step would send me falling to my doom. "Well," I thought, "A warm shower should make me feel better after my extended travels." However, like a phantom disappearing in the night, my water pressure and hot water too were gone never to return. I am suprised I woke up alive in the morning. I promptly checked out and stayed with the first good-looking English speaker I could find for my second night.

Room Tip: go to the Merlin Hotel down the street. Beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Samantha S
Reviewed 4 January 2012

+ very big minibar to fill with your own drinks :) (and prices affordable), +early checkin (7am) without extra, +hotel room 400baht night. +- quite pleasant staff but did not really speak or want to speak english, nor did they try to sell anything in good and bad, -the reception is quite disorganized and there is sometimes lazy staff who do not mind to serve their guests. Overall the hotel manages to provide accommodation but no experience. So do not expect anything spectacular and your expectations will be met.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends