“Good, cheap and handy to the Pier”

Sino House Phuket Hotel and Apartment
Ranked #10 of 89 Hotels in Phuket Town
Mermaid Beach, Australia
“Good, cheap and handy to the Pier”
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We booked the Shanghai suite for one night as we were going on the boat to Koh Lanta the next day. We got a room upgrade to a Sino suite which was a pleasant surprise.

The hotel is in a good location and there is a great little restaurant down stairs under the trees. The rooms were very tidy and when the say free mini bar they mean free water and soft drink, but that's a bonus.

If you were wanting to stay somewhere in Phuket for a more relaxing time then maybe out to the coast would be better, like Kata or Patong but Phuket town is a great stop over. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The service was efficient and friendly as well.
The only negative is that in the room we were in the AC was the size of a piano but didn't work that well. Apart from that the breakfast was good and a nice way to start a trip

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MofoMarc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 12 December 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Sino Suite for 2 nights.

The hotel is located 5min walk from the local bus station and 10min walk from Old Town.

We checked in at 11am and our room was ready.
The rooms are clean and have a fairly decent size.

The hotel becomes a bit old and the aircon in our bedroom was noisy.
We ended up turning it off when sleeping and using the one in the sitting area.

Some staff at the counter was not speaking english.
It was then pretty difficult to have some information about the attractions around.

If you're lazy and want to eat something for dinner there's a small restaurant next door to the hotel. The food and cocktails are good and considering it's right next to the hotel the prices are decent. Pad Thai for 120 Baht, Coconut Chicken Soup for 90 Baht, most cocktails for 120 Baht...

When you stay at the hotel you have a 50% discount at the next door spa.
We enjoyed a 3 hours complete body care for 1350 baht.

The only thing I've been disappointed with was the decoration of the bedroom.
The other rooms have a nice painting on the wall behind the bed but not our suite.
Our bedroom was definitely lacking this painting and was looking pretty dull.

Overall we had a very good stay.

Room Tip: Without a painting behind the wall, the sino suite bedroom was looking pretty dull. If I had to stay...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpeculoosATW
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I booked a Shanghai deluxe room and stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, there are a few things that I wasn't too happy about it. First, I arrived this hotel at around 12:00pm but couldn't check in as the staff told me the guest has not checked out and I was told to wait for 40mins, so I left hotel and had my lunch at a local restaurant in order to kill the time, after returned to reception I was told once again the room was not ready and I waited another 15 mins before finally got my room key. Second thing, during check out I asked the staff at reception about the bus service to the airport, she told me there's a bus at 10:30am which can pick me up in front of the hotel, I asked her if it is possible to call the bus station to make sure the bus time is correct because my flight is at 12:50pm if I missed this bus I wouldn't have enough time to wait another one, but she said no as she doesn't have the tel number. As such, I took my chance and waited from 10:15am to 10:50am but didn't see any bus coming, a warm-hearted lady shopkeeper from a small shop saw my situation (as I was standing right outside her shop) and called the bus station and got confirmed that there was no bus available at 10:30am that day due to not enough passengers, since I ran out of time I had no choice but to take a taxi. What I'm trying to say is, the hotel staffs are friendly but they do need some training, aren't they supposed to have better knowledge and information to serve their guests than a local shopkeeper? A few more downsides: there's no air-conditioning in any other areas including reception except in guest rooms, so it's quite hot in the hotel as you can imagine. The hotel is a bit old and the air conditioner is a bit noisy at night, also there's no swimming pool in this hotel. Other than that the hotel was not too bad, the room was big and clean, free wifi worked well. Breakfast was ok with very few choices available, however since this is a 3-star hotel I wouldn't ask too much for it.

One of the biggest advantage of this hotel is its location, very near to the Phuket old town (about 10-15 mins walking) and many good local restaurants (WiLAI, China Inn cafe, etc...)are within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
dublin
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed here as an overnight stay for the ferry the next day going to phi phi. It is around 400 baht from the airport. There is not a lot around you but you can still go for a quiet drink ora bite to eat. We got breakfast which wasn't great in my opinion, the options were pretty limited compared to other hotels we have stayed in. The room was clean and spacious. Overall a nice overnight stay.

• Stayed December 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 December 2012

A reasonably good place to spend the night if you are passing through Phuket (e.g. on your way to Phi Phi Island). Clean, practical rooms with TV, fridge, AC and Wi-Fi. However, you should note there is no bar and no restaurant on the premises (and the closest place to have a decent meal is quite a walk away). Breakfast a little spartan, on the top floor.. Drinks in the mini bar (all soft drinks) are yours to consume, on/in the house, though you will be charged for the bottles if you put them in your rucksack (as we saw one family do)..

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed at the Sino House for five nights and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. There was the potential for a holiday destroying incident when I realised that I had left my handbag with credit card, money, camera etc on the airport bus which had dropped us off at the hotel five minutes earlier. When the receptionist understood what had happened, she immediately rushed off to get her motor bike so that we could chase the bus around Phuket Town to retrieve it. Fortunately, we were successful and there were no further hassles due to her quick thinking and willingness to help. We were very impressed by this helpful attitude!

We had a Beijing Deluxe room. It was very large, spacious, airy and tastefully furnished. The bed was massive and comfortable. The en-suite spotless. The tea and coffee making facilities and the microwave oven and eating utensils in the room were appreciated. WiFi connection was good and the TV had a selection of channels. Air con was very efficient if a trifle noisy. Breakfast, which is served on a pleasant terrace on the fifth floor and overlooked by the hills, was good with a selection of fruits, yoghurts, cereals, hot foods and breads and pastries. Perhaps the empty platters need to be replenished more often.

The hotel is central to most things we needed – the bus station from where you could get a bus to Patong, the fresh market (buses to other beaches leave from here) and the new Bus Terminal (departures for Krabi etc); the Old Town streets (which were so colourful and attractive), and lots of restaurants.

Reception staff is smiling, efficient and obliging (especially the girl with the motor bike!) The English skills are still developing so making yourself understood is sometimes a bit difficult – but, there again, my Thai is non-existent!

If you are coming from the airport in the orange airport bus, ask to be let off at the Sino House Hotel opposite the Seng Bo Bookshop.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OzziePG
Milano
Reviewed 10 September 2012

There are not many reasons to pass through Phuket Town, but waiting a connection to beaches or business travel. By the way, if you have a reason to come there, stop at Sino House hotel, is absolutely at higher level than its price. You will receive four stars service at low money charging. Rooms are spacious, well designed, clean and provided of any tools. Water and coffee/tea set are complimentary. Staff is kind and helpful. Rooms have a/c and big windows. Breakfast buffet was good. I have travelled many places in Thai, and Sino House is one of the best, at small cost. I'm very satisfied.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple