“Camping was the highlight of our trip!”

John Gray's Sea Canoe
Ranked #2 of 198 Tours in Phuket Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: After 12 years designing and developing one of the World's most highly awarded Ecotourism companies, John "Caveman" Gray goes his own way by forming "John Gray's SeaCanoe" with 18 of his most loyal and experienced guides. "After 12 years in Phuket, the experiment ran its course and I was packing for Polynesia," says Gray, "but when all these guides showed up, I had no choice but to stay and do another start-up."
San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Camping was the highlight of our trip!”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We debated whether to just do a day trip or opt for the overnight and we are so glad that we choose the overnight option! The day trip was wonderful. The views were spectacular and the food was very good. We didn't realize that we wouldn't actually be paddling the kayaks as a part of the group trip, but the camping and second day made up for it. Following dinner we approached an island beach where a fire was already underway. We slept under the stars with views of the karst island around us viewable in the moonlight. The next morning breakfast was laid out for us with coffee and tea. We then left on a long tail boat to explore more islands. The boat stopped and we kayaked, then went for a hike, then snorkeling, then we had lunch at a small local cafe. Our guide Tom was extremely friendly and made an outstanding trip for us. We had a fantastic time and would do take the trip again in a heartbeat!!

Visited October 2013

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

The "Hong by starlight" trip was fantastic. The guides are terrific, they do all the paddling so you just sit back & enjoy the amazing scenery. This Company has a great respect for the environment and I always felt safe. Definitely book ahead- I did it through their website & when I checked into my hotel there was a confirmation fax waiting for me.
The food on the main boat was amazing & there was plenty of it.
A definite "must do" if you are in Phuket.

Visited November 2013
Amsterdam
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable day out”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Tour was recommended by my hotel. The group was small and good staff ratio. We were well taken care of. Trip included lunch and dinner. Lunch was ok but dinner was fantastic. The canoeing was great I loved the scenery. I loved that we got to make a karting it was very fun. My only complaint would be the canoe guide I had was not very talkative he answered the questions but didn't really offer any information. He also didn't explain the various elements involved on the Kratomg building. Luckily I eves dropped on the other groups and found out. But overall I really enjoyed the trip.

Visited November 2013
Port of Spain, Trinidad
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great Fun, Great Food, Great Job!”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

My friends were unsure at first but everyone slowly became believers from the very beginning of the day. I were told pickup was 10.40 a.m. and the driver was in our hotel lobby at 10.40 a.m. He said it was a one hour commute to the marina, and the drive was one hour. The staff were friendly and helpful. The lead guide Nick was fun with his accented, dry, corny humor!

The paddlers were locals from the area and extremely fun! A couple of them didn't look old enough to drink! The boat was well maintained and clean, and I cannot tell you how important their clean washrooms were after 2 weeks in India! We were pleasantly surprised by the consistent and amazing food that was served throughout the day from brunch to dinner. And most importantly, the hongs were breathtaking as advertised!

I would probably suggest that they improve their online booking process. When I booked I did not get a confirmation immediately and had to request one via email... I was booking for 6 which was no small purse! But they did respond right away. All in all a 5 star rating is the only way I can say "Thank You John Gray Team" for a fantastic and memorable birthday!

1 Thank Jacqueline B
Portland, Oregon
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Must see and do”
Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

If there is a better tour outfitter in Phuket I would love to try them. John Grays team was better than the high reviews. They were accommodating (on board chef prepared food considering any allergies or food preferences: gluten, vegetarian, etc). We had a huge storm on the way in but the team was awesome. If you believe in the sustainability of the environment, you should choose this team. You will know that there mission is played out. You will not be disappointed to pay a little bit more for this group. You will get knowledgable and good English speaking staff. One of the best day tours we have been on around the world!