Physically, Nest 1 seemed like the nicest place to stay in the Chiang Dao. The cabins and the layout are very well done. (Nicer than Nest 2 also.)
We mainly ate at Nest 2 and other places. We weren't interested in the Western food offered at Nest 1, both because we preferred to eat Thai food and because we prefer local food (Nest 1 restaurant imports many ingredients from other continents).
One of the best parts of Nest 1 was Puk, who gave us our orientation upon arrival and was very helpful throughout our stay.
The biggest weakness of Nest 1 was that it seemed to try to cater to upscale guests more than travelers. The tours and massages they offer are priced higher than at other places, and Malee's next door, was WAY more helpful for getting good information on local hiking and travel.
So overall, we recommend staying at Nest 1 but going next door to Malee's for a meal or two and to get better information on the local area. And yes, we also recommend the food at Nest 2.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chiang Dao Nest 1 & 2 are situated about 90 min north of Chiang Mai near the famous Chiang Dao Cave. Chiang Dao Nest offers simple but clean and comfortable accommodation, designed to detract as little as possible from the natural, mountainous beauty surrounding it. Chiang Dao is an area that offers many of Northern Thailand's highlights to visitors, not least of which can be found at the award winning restaurants at Chiang Dao Nest 1 & 2. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Chiang Dao Nest Hotel Chiang Dao
- Chiang Dao Nest Mai
- Chiang Dao Nest Hotel Mai
- Chiang Dao Nest Chiang Mai Province