“Pros and Cons” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chiang Dao Nest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiang Dao
Chiang Dao Nest
Ranked #1 of 14 Chiang Dao B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Pros and Cons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

The is a charming place that I highly recommend. Below I have listed the pros and cons that I feel are worthwhile...

Pros
- the staff were very friendly. I cannot say enough about Puk, who is at Nest 1; she was extremely kind, accommodating, informative and helpful.
- Food: the food at Nest 1 is Western food, and was very tasty. It was nice to have a great Western option to get a little break, here and there, from Thai food (although Thai food is my fave.) The food at Nest 2 is Thai and is great! I really enjoyed the red curry and Tom Ka. One evening we did eat next door to Nest 2 at Chiang Dao Hut. It was not as tasty or as comfortable as the Nest. We, unfortunately, didn't get to try Malee's, which is about a minute's walk from Nest 1 (right next door).
- both Nests are beautifully kept and are absolutely gorgeous. Nest 1 is smaller. I enjoyed walking around Nest 2 to take pictures of all the different flowers. We were here in low season so neither Nest was loud, but were very quiet and peaceful. We originally booked Nest 1, not realizing it does not have AC, but ended up switching to Nest 2, as the humidity is incredible. I highly recommend the AC option. Across the way from Nest 1 is a nice dipping pool. It's surround by lush beauty and is a nice break from the humidity.
- Thai massage - I recommend doing this at Nest 1 as they will set it up outside in a hut. For us it rained so the sound of the rain made it even more lovely. At Nest 2, I was told they do the massage in your room.

Cons
- Just a reminder that Nest 1 does not have AC
- Walking from Nest 2 to Nest 1, and to the cave and to the wat, we encountered dogs very consistently. I feel this is very important to be aware of as when we walked to the wat, we were surrounded by a growling pack of dogs. I nearly passed out :-) I am so thankful that a man came over and called them off. Due to this experience we were unable to actually go up to the wat. Wild dogs seem to be the norm for the area as a whole, though.

Other things to note:
- we did the half day elephant your and bamboo raft tour. We enjoyed it. When you get to the elephant camp, you get right On your elephant and at the end you get right off. There is no time for interacting with the elephant, which I thought there would be. The mahoot did stop a couple of times to take our picture on the elephant on our camera. There is a bathroom facility at the camp and it was in decent shape to use so no worries there; however there was no TP provided that I saw so luckily I had some tissue with me. May want to take some along just in case. On the way back to the Nest, the driver stopped in the town of Chiang Dao. I believe it was mostly to get us to eat at a specific restaurant, where she must have gotten a kickback, but I didn't mind at all as the restaurant has great Panang curry. Very tasty!!
- if you go to the cave, beware!!!! We attempted to the guided tour with a lantern but once we got going the light of the lantern revealed huge spider and lots of jumping bugs everywhere, similar to crickets. I am terribly freaked out by bugs of this kind so when we got to the crawl space, and all I could think about was crawling over these things, I had the guide escort me out. Perhaps you are more brave than I, and wouldn't mind.
- we had no problem at all with check out or our bill.

Room Tip: Nest 1 does not have AC, but Nest 2 does. With the humidity, I highly recommend Nest 2.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kisforkrisi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

So we didn't stay here but a friend of mine in Chiang Mai suggested this place to us. Since time was short we decided to do a trek through them instead and it was so so great! They picked us up at our hotel and we arrived at the Nest and was served breakfast. You're in the middle of nowhere and we were served the best eggs and French press coffee and home made bread! So yummy. Po who is the manager was so sweet to us and made sure we had what we needed.

We did the 2 day trek through the villages, it was very very difficult but beautiful. I'm a seasoned Cali hiker but here there are no trails, it's very steep and we were walking on dry slick leaves the whole time so we lost our balance quite a bit. We had 2 guides that were so great to us and looked after us. We spent the night atop a mountain in this hut and the view and food was just amazing. Again, we're in the middle of nowhere with great food and service.

Came back to the nest the next day and had some well-deserved ice cold beer and then they took us back to Chiang Mai. I'd highly recommend doing a trek through them if you don't have time to stay there. Outstanding service and food! We miss Po!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Pattaya, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

we arrived in the afternoon and were shown to our rooms which were nice but could not sit outside because the roof of the balcony leaked.
That evening we had a choice of meals that were on a blackboard with no Thai dishes,my friend had to look carefully to find something that would suit his Thai lady,he settled for the steak which was tough and overpriced .
The next morning the manager waited until we'd had breakfast before telling us we'd have to pack
and move to inferior rooms because they had another booking when we objected they used the excuse that we hadn't told them when we were leaving and our rooms were previously booked which was a lie as my friends lady had heard them take the booking the previous afternoon while she was eating. We ended up going to Malee's and were a lot happier

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 96miked
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is a retreat with the loveliest staff who are more than caring and so very helpful. There is no task too difficult. We had an excellent stay in Nest 2 for 4 nights and then moved to Nest 1. Both have equally good staff, restaurants and ambience. The Nest 1 is greener, shady and has a lovely pool, so has a bit more of a chilled atmosphere. The rooms are basic but comfortable. There are fly wires on all windows which was great in the summer with bugs everywhere. The rooms are tended to daily with a great system to halt waste. You do not have to have the sheets changed daily and there is no charge for 2 x water bottles. There is a water cooler fountain t both Nests for getting extra water and refilling the bottles which s such a good idea. We just loved both our stays and cannot understand why people are compiling about the staff/owners. We could not fault the lovely smiling staff. They made our stay memorable.

Room Tip: Make contact directly with the Nest via email as we found this so helpful. Theyoffered such consider...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen N
Chiang Mai, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We recently stayed at nest number 2 and whilst visiting the swimming pool at nest 1 a member of the staff decided to help themselves to my wifes purse that was on our motorbike and stole 1000 baht. We informed the staff at number 1 and they said they would let us know the outcome the next day, we also notified nest 2 . Next day came and no response so I asked for owners contact details. The owner stated that she knew of the problem but the cctv cameras were down, she was rude and overbearing as I tried to explain and stated that it was courtesy to contact the guest not the other way around. No outcome just Thai way of burying heads in the sand.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Henley Lunar C
Buchs Aargau, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The thai food was awesome in nest 2, also the prices are very reasonable. In nest 1 we made a reservation for the restaurant but nobody knowed about it. Then they presented is the special and realised that it is not available, also the second one not as well the third. Also on the first day in nest 2 things like sticky rice were not available. If they have problems in the procurement, they should inform the guests before they choose. Or take ot from the blackboard. So we went to malees. The guesthouse at nest 2 is ok and staff was very friendly but could not give us one information about bus time table etc. The massage for 2 hours is 400 bhat at malees, 500 bhat in chiang dao hut and at nest it is 700 bhat. Big comission, as well the activities are crazy too much. Book directly online with the supplier. The boss was also very unfriendly, and did not cared about us.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sibylle F
Bad Schonborn, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

it is so sad that i have to write this recension here, as generally we had a awesome stay in Chiang dao nest 2, however the female boss (can´t remember her name) of the Chiang Dao nest 2 ruined the whole stay in 30 seconds during our checkout.

first of all: we only deceided for the ciang dao nest (2) because we are interested in hiking and lonely planet mentioned that the Chiang dao nest guys have a long experience and can organize very good trips.
upon our arrival it still seemed to be a good decison, as the resort is nice. located at the foot of a mountain with a great view, nice garten and a a very friendly staff. the bungalow itself was alright, basic but clean and good value for small money. the food was just fantastic.

as I said, the main reason to go to Chian Dao was the hiking thing and therefore we were looking forward to it. The first surprise was the high price, it was above 100 EUR for 2 persons for a hike from approx. 9 in the morning to 4 in the evening. However, because of the lonely planet recommendation we thought it´s worth the price.
To make a long story short: It wasn´t. The hike was absolutely not in a relation to the price. The only thing which was alright was the visit of a remote cave. The rest was very poor. The guides were extremely unmotivated. They didn´t tell us anything about the region or plants or whatever. They only replied if we placed a dedicated question. Or let´s say if they knew the answer. At noon time they dropped us at village, gave us cold rice with meat and said "see you later". To compare, in the description of the tour at Chiang Dao Nest they mention for lunch activitiy "Cooking together with the guides and meet village people". There was no cooking at all and the village was a table and a toilet and a chicken house. Later they braught us to a waterfall. The waterfall itself would have been nice, but the way to it was also a joke. Some meters downstream of the waterfall there was a damn, and to get to the waterfall you had to walk and climb on thick blue tubes they have installed for the water supply of the villages. That is necessary for the people living there, I understand that, however it is not nice to visit and also not nice to climb on these tubes. That´s definitely not a pleasure walk. And I don´t understand how one could choose to walk such an ugly way although you are surrounded by this extremely nice area which must be full of nice spots to walk to.
Last but not least the trip only took until half past 2, so 1,5 hourse shorter than in the description. Further in the description was mentioned that in the trip you are going to meet hilltribe people in traditional clothes and stuff like that, but there was just nothing. The was something like a hill village in the end, but not to compare with the description. It reminded me on an abandoned wild west town with absolutely no people on the streets.

And now comes the best part: Upon our arrival back at Chiang Dao Nest 2 we told the boss about our experience and she was (or now I have to say she acted ) shocked about what I told her about the trip. She told us that this is not the way it is normally and that a lot of major spots and activites have been missing during the hike. She further told us that she is going to talk to the guides and is going to try to to something for us regarding the price. She further confessed that the trips are organized by Chiang Dao Nest and not by an agency. So at the evening we felt confident that we would at least get a discount on the hike.
Next morning, we had to check out and pay, also for the hike. Suddenly the boss had a totally different mindset. She said she phoned around and couldn´t do anything. That is of course absolutely nonsens. The 2 guides got something like 500 baht for showing us around, something like 4000 baht went into the pocket of Chiang Dao Nest. And, although the confessed one day earlier that this was not the hike it used to be, and that major parts have been missing, that she is not able to return us some money? That is just not true. She didn´t want to return us some money, that´s all. Is was really upset and sad when we left the place, because by this behaviour she ruined our whole stay in Chiang Dao. Sorry, but this was something I had to share.

I don´t like to write such a recension., please check my others, this is the first bad recension I ever had to write. But unfortunately that is the truth.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple