Chiang Dao Nest
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Chiang Dao
See available hotels
Rim Doi Resort(Chiang Dao)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsthai fooddown the roadgreat foodthe ownerwestern menuher sisterout of this worldlaid backbeautiful locationswimming poolrooms are basichour massagenature trailan amazing placethai massagenational parkout of the way
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Me and my fiance just passing by and decide to stay at Nest 2. The garden was stunning! With a lot of spaces you can sit and relax and enjoying the amazing view. Also the place we stayed was a bungalow made of bamboo. The staff was really nice. Some can speak really good english and some struggle with english. If you asking the staff what can do around. They will give you a hand made map and explain everything in detail. After one night we decide to check out Nest 1. We have a big breakfast there. Nest 1 was also stunning with a swimming pool for you to swim.

So in short:
+ Beautiful place to stay
+ Some good english speaking staff with knowlegde about the surroundings
+ Swimming pool
+ Good food

- One Flipflop was stolen by monkeys during the night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The is a charming place that I highly recommend. Below I have listed the pros and cons that I feel are worthwhile...

Pros
- the staff were very friendly. I cannot say enough about Puk, who is at Nest 1; she was extremely kind, accommodating, informative and helpful.
- Food: the food at Nest 1 is Western food, and was very tasty. It was nice to have a great Western option to get a little break, here and there, from Thai food (although Thai food is my fave.) The food at Nest 2 is Thai and is great! I really enjoyed the red curry and Tom Ka. One evening we did eat next door to Nest 2 at Chiang Dao Hut. It was not as tasty or as comfortable as the Nest. We, unfortunately, didn't get to try Malee's, which is about a minute's walk from Nest 1 (right next door).
- both Nests are beautifully kept and are absolutely gorgeous. Nest 1 is smaller. I enjoyed walking around Nest 2 to take pictures of all the different flowers. We were here in low season so neither Nest was loud, but were very quiet and peaceful. We originally booked Nest 1, not realizing it does not have AC, but ended up switching to Nest 2, as the humidity is incredible. I highly recommend the AC option. Across the way from Nest 1 is a nice dipping pool. It's surround by lush beauty and is a nice break from the humidity.
- Thai massage - I recommend doing this at Nest 1 as they will set it up outside in a hut. For us it rained so the sound of the rain made it even more lovely. At Nest 2, I was told they do the massage in your room.

Cons
- Just a reminder that Nest 1 does not have AC
- Walking from Nest 2 to Nest 1, and to the cave and to the wat, we encountered dogs very consistently. I feel this is very important to be aware of as when we walked to the wat, we were surrounded by a growling pack of dogs. I nearly passed out :-) I am so thankful that a man came over and called them off. Due to this experience we were unable to actually go up to the wat. Wild dogs seem to be the norm for the area as a whole, though.

Other things to note:
- we did the half day elephant your and bamboo raft tour. We enjoyed it. When you get to the elephant camp, you get right On your elephant and at the end you get right off. There is no time for interacting with the elephant, which I thought there would be. The mahoot did stop a couple of times to take our picture on the elephant on our camera. There is a bathroom facility at the camp and it was in decent shape to use so no worries there; however there was no TP provided that I saw so luckily I had some tissue with me. May want to take some along just in case. On the way back to the Nest, the driver stopped in the town of Chiang Dao. I believe it was mostly to get us to eat at a specific restaurant, where she must have gotten a kickback, but I didn't mind at all as the restaurant has great Panang curry. Very tasty!!
- if you go to the cave, beware!!!! We attempted to the guided tour with a lantern but once we got going the light of the lantern revealed huge spider and lots of jumping bugs everywhere, similar to crickets. I am terribly freaked out by bugs of this kind so when we got to the crawl space, and all I could think about was crawling over these things, I had the guide escort me out. Perhaps you are more brave than I, and wouldn't mind.
- we had no problem at all with check out or our bill.

Room Tip: Nest 1 does not have AC, but Nest 2 does. With the humidity, I highly recommend Nest 2.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kisforkrisi
Reviewed 29 May 2014

So we didn't stay here but a friend of mine in Chiang Mai suggested this place to us. Since time was short we decided to do a trek through them instead and it was so so great! They picked us up at our hotel and we arrived at the Nest and was served breakfast. You're in the middle of nowhere and we were served the best eggs and French press coffee and home made bread! So yummy. Po who is the manager was so sweet to us and made sure we had what we needed.

We did the 2 day trek through the villages, it was very very difficult but beautiful. I'm a seasoned Cali hiker but here there are no trails, it's very steep and we were walking on dry slick leaves the whole time so we lost our balance quite a bit. We had 2 guides that were so great to us and looked after us. We spent the night atop a mountain in this hut and the view and food was just amazing. Again, we're in the middle of nowhere with great food and service.

Came back to the nest the next day and had some well-deserved ice cold beer and then they took us back to Chiang Mai. I'd highly recommend doing a trek through them if you don't have time to stay there. Outstanding service and food! We miss Po!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

we arrived in the afternoon and were shown to our rooms which were nice but could not sit outside because the roof of the balcony leaked.
That evening we had a choice of meals that were on a blackboard with no Thai dishes,my friend had to look carefully to find something that would suit his Thai lady,he settled for the steak which was tough and overpriced .
The next morning the manager waited until we'd had breakfast before telling us we'd have to pack
and move to inferior rooms because they had another booking when we objected they used the excuse that we hadn't told them when we were leaving and our rooms were previously booked which was a lie as my friends lady had heard them take the booking the previous afternoon while she was eating. We ended up going to Malee's and were a lot happier

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 96miked
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is a retreat with the loveliest staff who are more than caring and so very helpful. There is no task too difficult. We had an excellent stay in Nest 2 for 4 nights and then moved to Nest 1. Both have equally good staff, restaurants and ambience. The Nest 1 is greener, shady and has a lovely pool, so has a bit more of a chilled atmosphere. The rooms are basic but comfortable. There are fly wires on all windows which was great in the summer with bugs everywhere. The rooms are tended to daily with a great system to halt waste. You do not have to have the sheets changed daily and there is no charge for 2 x water bottles. There is a water cooler fountain t both Nests for getting extra water and refilling the bottles which s such a good idea. We just loved both our stays and cannot understand why people are compiling about the staff/owners. We could not fault the lovely smiling staff. They made our stay memorable.

Room Tip: Make contact directly with the Nest via email as we found this so helpful. Theyoffered such consideration.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple