The White Lion
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Kings Arms Inn(Gillingham)
  • Restaurant
The Grosvenor Arms(Shaftesbury)
The Crown Inn(Marnhull)
George Hotel(Castle Cary)
View Hotel
Horse Pond Inn(Castle Cary)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubsteak and kidney piefabulous eveninglovely friendly atmospheresky tvwell behaved dogslovely old pubpleasant gardensmaller roomsunday roastreceived a warm welcomepuddinghomemade breadtea and coffee facilitiescomfortable roomstwo night stayshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2012

On arriving at pub from the outside it looks charming and inside parts of the pub are lovely . The room was small but adequate for price paid . However breakfast was little disappointing waiting half a hour and service very sloppy taking items from other used tables when needing items like milk . Chef that served us was very unsavoury ! He told one guest he was the dogsbody and did it all , he was dirty in appearance and not professional at all . On checking out he really couldn't be bothered and was not really friendly . Not sure if he worked there or owned it but not good for business . Could be a little gold mine if right people ran it

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Gabbycat123
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My family and I have eaten here on a number of occassions (I would estimate 7-10 times) over the past 4-5 years, and I have nothing but praise for the consistency in the quality of food and service. We have been when it is not-so-busy, and I would say it can be a bit cold in the restaurant when it is like this, however you have to realise it is in a 280yo+ building - a fair compromise for a stunning, atmospheric setting. On the other hand, we have been here when the locals have all been in, the restaurant is packed, and there is someone on the piano - absolutely fantastic atmosphere! With that said, I emphasise my first point regarding consistency; we all thoroughly enjoy coming here and will continue to make the 20m drive especially.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Arrived at white Lion, very impressed with the lovely building, stayed in the budget room @ £55 per night inc breakfast. Room was nice,cosy and clean, no wardrobe though so lived out of suitcase.On arrival greeting was friendly. Met with friends for Sunday lunch at the pub. The first thing we noticed was that the table felt sticky to the touch.
We had roast lamb and the vegetarian dish, and I must say that we were dissapointed with the food, the lamb was very fatty and full of sinew, and the roast potatoes were very dry and inedible, the veggie dish was also described as tasteless, for dessert two opted for ice cream to play safe and one had creme brulee that was left half way through, I had sticky toffee pudding which was quite nice. Overall dissappointing
The worst part about our stay was the cooked breakfast, they were very poor, the bacon was hard and brittle and was served with a toasted ciabatta that tasted stale, no toast offered. I look forward to my cooked english when I'm away I did not look forward to our last days breakfast almost inedible with lots left on the plate and no comment from staff as they took away the plates.
Nice place, atmospheric, staff ok but they need to seriously up their game on the food side, we came accross outher places around here that gave us fantastic food and it left us wishing we had stayed in one of these places instead. This is a lovely building whose services could be improved so much, Our comments are meant constructively and to help the place in this very very competitive market

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tumbleweed34
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Stayed here recently and was probably one of the friendliest places I have stayed. Was just a one night quick stop over but was very memorable.

Room was a superior one at £70 including breakfast and had everything you could need, bathroom and some other amenities were not perfect but for the price I don't see how anyone can complain.

Enjoyed a few local ciders in the pub which had live music and all the locals were so friendly and welcoming it was like staying at home. There was a little noise as people left the pub at closing time but it is a pub and is the same at every single other inn I have stayed and will be the same at every other local inn offering accommodation. However this did not bother me at all.

Overall lovely local inn and very friendly part of the country.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Went for dinner with family, we were not very impressed with our meal generally,with the exception of the chips, which were delicious as was the sticky toffee pudding.I would advise staying clear of the calamari which arrived soggy and rubbery instead of crisp and delicious. The table and the placemats would have benefited from a cleaning.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family