“Just right for the price”

Beach Placid Resort, Restaurant and Bar
Quezon City, Philippines
“Just right for the price”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed here for 4 days 3 nights. The room was really simple and the bathroom too. Clean and simple. The AC worked ok too. Those two words best describe the accomodations. Although we did find the shower outside our room much more fun to use because of the high water pressure. The food was excellent though...specially the crab cooked in coconut milk. (i think we had this for 3 nights in a row). Nice thing about this resort was that its not crowded but nothing to do at night except stroll at the beach and catch lots of crabs. This resort was our base for exploring several islands near by. Bottom line if your looking for a cheap accomodation in Bantayan this resort will do. No complaints here.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Patrick294248

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
antipolo city
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Its our first time to go in Bantayan island, the travel is so far from Cebu City. But its all worth when we reach Beach Placid Resort. We are amazed by the beach front of this resort its beautiful like boracay, white sand and clear water. Thats why they call it the boracay of cebu.

The Reception Staff, Restaurant Staff, Guard are all friendly and hospitable. Room is clean and very simple has a 2 double bed with cable tv and ref and aircon and hammock outside. And its very cheap 2200 per night for 5 pax. So its ok for us. And free pick up from Sta Fe Pier.

Staying in this resort is such a wonderful and unforgettable experience. We never regret choosing in this resort.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank princessars
Manila
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I visited Bantayan Island a month ago and stayed at Beach Placid for 3D/2N. I really enjoyed my marvelous stay there. First, they have a beautiful stretch of white sand beach perfect for people who love to take lots of memorable pictures. The beach itself is very quiet and is not filled by hoards of beach-goers. Next, guests can island-hop to 2 nearby islands namely Virgin Island (an amazing secluded island) and Halintagaan Island for less than $20. And finally, there's a guy there named Elagio who can tour you around town where you can visit Sugar beach, Paradise beach (another mesmerizing secluded beach which most locals don't even know), Bantayan Island Nature Park (where you can swim in a newly discovered cave), and Saints Peter & Paul Cathedral. I hope to return again soon.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank handymann69
New Hyde Park, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Visited Bantayan Island recently with a friend for one night, and decided to stay at Beach Placid. Rented a duplex cottage right on the beachfront @ 3000 pesos for one night, which seemed reasonable enough. The cottage itself was simple and very basic: two beds, tv, fridge, and a bathroom with a relatively spacious standup shower, toilet, and sink. It was just the right set-up for my short stay. The view of the beachfront and ocean was absolutely beautiful. The cottage also had a deck outside with a bench, a table, and two chairs, which was very pleasant, and allowed us to enjoy dinner on the deck while enjoying the view. Overall, the experience was very peaceful and serene, and was exactly what I was looking for.

However, there were a few cons, which are worth mentioning.

1st -- The beds in the room are pretty shabby, old and unnatractive. To be honest, at first, I didn't really want to lay on them, but I gave in. Also, the mattresses are extremely thin, which prevented me from getting the type of rest I'm used to getting. I can't get comfortable on a mattress that thin.

2nd (and probably most important) -- With respect to the food, I have to say that everything was cooked nicely, and was really delicious. I had the chicken chop suey when I first arrived, which was delicious, then later I ordered the spaghetti with bolognese, which wasn't really that good, but you can only really order that type of dish at certain places, so that didn't bother me. I ordered the spicy chicken soup the next morning, which was very flavorful and delicious. However, my main complaint with the food is that there were dead ants visible in two of the dishes i had. When I ate the chicken chop suey, i noticed three (3) dead ants cooked into the food, and they were on the veggies. This lead me to believe one of two things: Either there are ants crawling all around the area where the food is being cooked, and they're falling into the pan / burner, or the vegetables being used in the food are not being stored in the right place, or are being stored somewhere where ants are crawling all around. Now, I own a restaurant in New York, and we follow a grading system where things like this are taken VERY seriously, and would never be allowed. If I were to allow something like this to occur at my restaurant, I'd be closed down faster than i opened. Aside from being a serious health risk, ants in food are just disgusting, plain and simple, and seeing something like that takes away from any charm a place might have. So while the food was deliciously-prepared, the visibility of ants in the food was a big turn off. I also noticed three to four dead ants in the spicy chicken soup the next morning. I really do want to visit Bantayan Island again, and I would like to stay at Beach Placid, but they need to nip this problem in the bud, because for me it's a huge turnoff.

Aside from the cons mentioned above, I have to admit the service was good. The young waiters were pretty attentive for the most part. However, I was a little bit disappointed in both the selection of liquors that are available at the bar, as well as the quality of drinks that are made. I have a full bar at my restaurant, and I know how to make and mix drinks. Presumably enough people visit Beach Placid where they should feel it necessary to have more selections of liquors at their bar. No Jack Daniels, no Bombay or Tanqueray Gin. I was pretty disappointed. Plus, the bar boys made drinks like they didn't know how to mix anything. When I ask for a gin on the rocks with a splash of club soda, I don't want a splash of gin with half a glass of club soda. I had to instruct the dude on how I wanted my drink. After I told him, however, he made the drinks exactly the way I wanted.

Overall, the attitude of the waiters helped to make up for the shortcomings of this place. I assume more people will be visiting Bantayan in the years to come, and I hope Beach Placid remains on the beach as a place to stay for visitors.

Advice to the owner / staff -- step up the cleanliness with the food, increase the selection of liquors and train staff on how to mix drinks properly, and put some more comfortable mattresses in the rooms, and your place will be perfect. Having a cottage on a beautiful beachfront property, by itself, is not enough to make a stay enjoyable, because people want an inviting, comfortable room to come back to, and they want really good, clean food with good drinks. The entire experience -- all aspects of it -- needs to be good, not just the view. Next time I come to Bantayan, which may likely be later this year, I hope to see some of the changes i mentioned above, and then maybe I will give some serious thought to an extended stay : )

Otherwise, keep up the good work guys : )

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rudy N
giging, Owner at Beach Placid Resort, Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for your review. About the bar and restaurant we are building a new bar and restaurAnt as we speak and there will be a full selection of drinks on the bar. As far as the ants I'm really not sure how that happened unless the ant crawled to the plate after serving. We do wash our meat and vegetables before cooking and this is the first time ive heard of this.
Edinburgh of the Seven Seas
Reviewed 6 March 2012

If I have to review about the staff, mostly the girls that work there in the kitchen, at the main desk and so, I would give "5 stars", but the rooms of the hotel are quite disappointing!!! Believe me, for similar price, one can find better places to stay! The beach just in front of the hotel is fantastic and I did enjoy being there! The best beach all over the whole island, for sure! And I didn't expect that, once it's very close to the port. Crystal water, great for snorkeling, despite the immense amount of algae, very close to the beach, something I don't really like, but there are countless white sand areas and you can reach them by two or three-minute swimming. Peaceful! Just gorgeous indeed!

As for the rooms, quite precarious, actually! The first room we had booked was tiny, I mean, very tiny (beach cottage) and the bathroom was not connected to it internally. You had to go out of the room to get to it. The 2nd one and we decided to take it, afterall there were no other choices, one old bed, no nothing else! The bathroom was in a very precarious state, nothing worked properly, plus a terrible mold smell! New rooms were being built when we were there, but they looked as small as the others the hotel provide!

Breakfast...too expensive for what we had! Poor, indeed!

I repeat...I give the staff (shame on me as I can't remember the girls' names!) are great and kind, the beach is beautiful, however the rooms themselves, the breakfast are quite poor! On a next opportunity, I would look for another place to stay at!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank TrekkingGuy10
giging, Owner at Beach Placid Resort, Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
The room you reserved is the smallest room we have and the cheapest beachfront room. We do have bigger rooms and cottages that are good for 2-6 people. That cottage is native and designed to be typical Filipino cottage.
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This is really a wonderful place ..
It has a nice quiet and friendly atmosphere.
The service and the smiling staff makes you really feel at home there

In fact .. I have already made it my home ..
There was a waitress there that me stay for the rest of my life ..
So sorry guys .. She's already taken.

But still the staff is smiling and makes you feel good.
I highly recommend this place ..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank sirlancelot67
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is a quite basic hotel but this is generally reflected in the prices so no one should be under any illusion it is anything else. The beach front duplex rooms 1 and 2 and triplex rooms 9, 10, 11 and the native cottage are beach front. You have an uninterrupted view of the beach from your veranda, which is the selling point. However, some of the verandas are not the most comfortable places to be with a bench seat stuck to the wall of your room. Our room, a beach front triplex was small, you could only get out of the bed on one side. No hanging space for clothes or drawers. And of course the shower so small its over the toilet. No fridge, no tv. They did appear to be building something at the rear of these triplexes, so whether this is to extend the shower room to a normal size remains to be seen. The rooms were in need of redecoration but this was going on in unoccupied rooms while we were there so again may be completed. Disappointingly the restaurant is not beachfront but behind the couple of rows of beach rooms, probably to keep it out of the constant sea breeze. Its not particularly inviting to look at and again was not a comfortable place. Either benches at tressle tables or rustic wooden furniture. While the rustic furniture looked ok its wasn’t somewhere you wanted to spend long eating or drinking as without cushions it was hard and uncomfortable. Meals at the restaurant were quite good in quality. And the staff, while being very friendly and trying to be helpful were a bit hit and miss. Twice our order was forgotten. A big error when we were two of only four people eating on one occasion. The beach though is great. And cleaned every morning, perhaps in response to previous negative reviews, they do make real efforts to keep the beach looking great. The beach is long enough to enjoy a good stroll and is not built up at all with restaurants and resorts. In fact at night you could only see lights at Beach Placid to eat. This beach is great and this is probably the best hotel on this beach. Your only alternative is to stay in Santa Fe, which has the restaurants for the evening, but the beach isn't as nice, although being more steeply shelving you can swim off Santa Fe beach at all times whereas at Beach Placid swimming at low tide was not possible. Or come here for the beach and travel to Santa Fe for eats and drinks at night. Pedal tricycle ‘taxis’ will take you for 20P per person YES US$1, per trip, its not hard to be a bit more generous. And Virgin island is as nice as everyone says it is and is well worth the trip

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KS&HC
giging, Owner at Beach Placid Resort, Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Ever since this review, the triplex bathrooms have been expanded and renovated, all rooms have been painted ans updated, we are mow building a new restaurant and we have added a new dining area for beachfront dining. We heard your concerns and we are improving as we go!