“Overpriced and under serviced - would not recommend”

The Coral Blue Oriental Beach Villas & Suites
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We are a family of seven who had stayed a week at another resort on Bantayan island. We extended our stay by 1 night and booked into The Coral Blue as our previous resort was booked out.
The Coral Blue had their 2 bedroom villa available for the night, however this only slept 4 and so we were charged extra for 3 additional beds in that room, with the owner, Josef, requesting a large deposit on booking.
We checked in late at 6pm (normal check in 2pm) and Josef voiced his disappointment about this. The staff failed to inform us on booking that they were having their Christmas Party that night and so the restaurant was unavailable for dinner.
Inside the room there were no additional beds and the showers did not work, no pressure or hot water. We informed Josef who reported the staff were having their party and so were unavailable to attend, and he had no interest in assisting us himself.
The additional beds were delivered after a considerable amount of time. They were not beds at all but couch cushions put together, with no extra pillows or towels provided. The rooms were not particularly clean, with a former guests' shower gel left in out shower and an old, musty, in-operational bar fridge. The tv and wifi did not work and the rooms are open to the night air, inviting mosquitoes into your bed.
It was often hard to find staff willing to assist and we often felt as though we were inconveniencing them, even though we were the paying guests.
This resort is unique in that it offers a 'traditional' style of oriental bamboo villas, however, what is also unique is the lack of value for money and the lack of genuine, friendly staff which can be found at other resorts on Bantayan Island. We will not be staying here again, nor would we recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank MolRoRye

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I’m a high school teacher, and indeed, I spent my 7-day Christmas vacation here. After all has been said and done, this must be the best vacation I’ve ever had in my 27 years of enjoying life. Needless to say how welcoming the staff were as they housed me with genuine smile! Mr. Joseph and Ms. Roselyn Cutamora (to be specific) had their forte to think about me, their guest, to make me feel at home. Apart from that, I was wowed by its panorama and native bamboo designed resort. I coudn’t even say no to try their yummy and appetizing food that captured my taste. In spite of the bygone super typhoon, the resort stands still as the best place to spend for coupled with worth-reminiscing experiences with your love ones……

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Coral blue Oriental have a nice rooms,overlooking views from Villas, Coz of typhon they little problem but they recover very fast, now its all new ,got new Management, cook and workers.. hope everything will be fine.Miss Roselyn Cutamora trying her best to give good service to all Guest.

Room Tip: Villa is the best room..
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed in suite 1 between Christmas and NYE and, given the price we paid compared to other resorts in the area (the ones still standing), we thought we were going to have a fantastic service and relaxing time – far from that. No essential amenities in the room, shower didn’t work, cheap plastic toilet seat, tarnished lime-scale encrusted taps, dirty windows, TV doesn’t work, half power sockets don’t work, broken mirror in the toilet, lights above the bed don’t work, sunlounger’s cushions are lumpy, stained and ripped. They never changed our towels until after 3 days when we asked for it and they were only able to provide one – got the other one after speaking to the manager. The beach before the resort could do with picking up bits of rubbish scattered around.
Food was okay although they never had anything we asked for and all they needed to do is go down the market. There was hardly anybody at reception and the music there was too loud. Usually the owner was there drinking and we found ourselves caught up in arguments between him and his girlfriend – this really added to the atmosphere.
When we were showed the room by Josef the owner he tried the lights above the bed and realised half of them didn’t work he said that he would send someone to fix them but that never happened. He told us that he’d give us a curtain tie back but he never did; he asked us whether we wanted the TV connected and he never did anything about it – the TV had the aerial unplugged and could not be switched on as the sockets behind didn’t work.
The staff are pleasant (Mrs Arlene very nice) but generally very lazy and not really geared up to provide a service that justifies the prices they charge. There is no working WiFi although there are big signs saying free WiFi at the entrance! We were caught out in a tropical storm and ended up in a small bar by the market that had a perfectly working WiFi – so it’s nothing to do with the recent typhoon that the resort has sporadic poor connection.
One night I left the aircon on while we went down for dinner to cool the room as I cannot sleep with it on at night; we were then asked to switch it off by Josef (the owner) who complained of possible rising electricity prices. I didn’t regard this being my problem really since I’m sure that with the money we paid he would have been able to cover the extra costs – besides the electricity hadn’t gone up yet.
This place could do so much better. Staff need to give the place a proper clean i.e. taps can be sparkling with a little elbow grease and every morning the beach should be cleaned. The “restaurant” should be equipped with what’s on the menu otherwise what’s the point of having one? A short trip down the market shouldn’t be too painful for them to get what they need.
The icing on the cake, when we left I paid our bill and then got a coffee while waiting for our driver to take us to the port. Then I paid separately for the coffee but the lady at reception said she had no change although I had just given her some change 10 minutes before. We felt coerced to leave a tip and because of it, I didn’t and instead asked her to go to the shop around the corner to get some change or to use some of from the cash I had just given her when I paid the bill.
The owner calls this it a boutique hotel – yeah right. Don’t be fooled by the pictures, the place is pretty but there is nothing else special about this resort unless they change. P.s. bring mosquitoes repellent!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndyBorough2013
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I just stayed at Coral Blue for the second time with my wife and two boys. The whole place is Bamboo, and it consists of 6 villas, a restobar, and plenty of seating area cabanas to enjoy the beautiful oceanfront views. The entire place is constructed of Bamboo and it's really cool. It's the quintessential southeast asia beach resort, and the vibe there is really nice. The staff is always there to get you anything you need, and they're great with kids too. The Aircon works great, and we didn't have any power outages.

The guests all tend to know each other during their stay because it's a fairly small place.

The food is decent, but overpriced for what you get. We typically walk a block away to Cou Cou for our meals because the prices are better, and the food is great.

The bedding could be better. Only sheets provided, one of our beds didn't have a fitted sheet, only top-sheets.

Guard sleeps at night on the job. He pulls chairs together and makes an impromtu bed. I wake up at 4am, and he's always snoozing.

Overall though we love the place. It's definitely in the best spot in town. We're not high maintenance, and these guys do a great job for us.

FYI - when you get off the ferry, and need a tricycle driver to transport you and take your luggage, find Marlon. He rents me scooters, and takes care of my luggage every time. Good guy! He doesn't look or act like a neanderthal monkey like some locals.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BennyHall
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Great location, but somewhat of a let down. We visited the property in July of this year and while the family suite looked out over a lovely part of the beach, it needs attention - plastic flowers on the terrace, lack of quality bed linens and towels, doors very hard to open and always concerned they may break while opening them and very average beds.

The biggest let down is the food. It's just awful, if available. Our first night hardly anything was available so we settled on pancit canton and stir fried vegetables. Both tasted of old oil leaving us hungry. Second night they did have seafood available but poorly cooked. Breakfast was included - 1 egg (read CHEAP), two pieces of dry toast, instant coffee and juice. Hardly worth even offering this.

The place has so much potential and is lovely, it's the attention to detail and food on offer that bring it down. For the price they charging, seriously over priced.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank RandyRively
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Great exotic place,great views of the ocean from our villa, best location if you are a beach lover.
The hotel staff was super nice to all our needs. We have a very big family, they made it possible for all of us to enjoy our family reunion. We had a great dinner by the beach and they had a beautiful musical group that entertained us.

Room Tip: If you have a large family you shoulf choose the 2 bedroom villa with a bonus living room in the mid...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family