“A warm and welcoming atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
St. Bernard Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Bantayan Island
Copenhagen, Denmark
“A warm and welcoming atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at St. Bernard Beach Resort from February 5 - February 17 2011 together with the rest of my family in connection with the celebration of my fathers 70th birthday.

The resort is run by Flemming (Danish) and Eden (Philippine) whoose warm and positive attitude together with a friendly and smiling staff makes you feel welcome from the minute you arrive at the resort. On both sides of the resort you find the local fishing villages with pigs, chickens, cows, dogs and a lot of beautiful smiling children - which is great fun if you are travelling with own children as there are always someone to play with.

The St. Bernard Beach Resort is perfect for the romantic couple or family who wan´t to get away from a hectic workday and enjoy a quiet, warm and pleasant atmosphere, beautiful beaches, closeness to the locals way of living and exquisite european style cuisine.

I would like to thank Flemming, Eden, Erika, Rex and the rest of the staff for a fantastic stay and for your overwhelming help in connection with the planning and celebration of my fathers 70th birthday - it will be a day we newer will forget!!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Larslundsoerensen

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cebu City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

The service is fine. Friendly people, and the owner of the resort as well. The room is a great and very cute, just need to put your windows a mosquito net, so the sleep will be really good, and the curtain must be thicker. The location is good. Just the way to hotel is too dark at night, (when the guest want to go out). I like the place even my husband like it too. Because it's not crowded, it's a quite place, nice garden, beautiful, clean and good service.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank travel_lover2011
Iloilo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

I stayed in St. Bernard's from October 17 to 19 of 2009. We booked cottage #6 and didn't realize it was a tad small for us 3 girls but loved the cute bed and circular windows. It was our "Hobbit" home. We would have transferred but the other 2 decide to stay for the reason we were darn too tired from all the swimming and touring. Cottage #1 was bigger and was along beach front. Amazingly, there was any noisy neighbors that I have read we would expect.

Food was absolutely great. Even if we weren't able to taste Tristan's pizza, we had and loved their banana and mango flambe pancakes. A must to eat too when you visit Sta. Fe. We loved how big their serving size was. We may be petite but we had an appetite of a bigger homo sapien.

Service was excellent. Eden, Flemming and the staff made us feel at home. Hope (the resident Shih Tzu) entertained us as well. I don't know what kind of service other people expect from resorts but it fit what we liked. We got to tour Virgin and Hilantaga-an islands with our 3d/2n package. It was a bit cloudy at the time and we were told to come back during the summer months. Thy sky would appear just like how it looks in their local postcards. If you love the heat of summer on a beach, like me, I'd heed their advise.

I loved their beach (compared to my stone black sand beach in San Joaquin). White sand and still teeming with life. Don't expect Boracay-like shores. They've got loads of seagrass, little shells, crabs, sea urchins, fishes, starfishes, sea cucumbers, and a seahorse (I only got to see one). Flemming had his own collection of exotic birds in the resort.

I will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lieverdjoy
italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

What I liked: it is very quiet, cottages are very pictoresque (each one is round and different from the others) and the staff is extremely gentle and helpful. Prices are low. We paid 1700 php for the beach front cottage, but it was the most expensive. You can pay 900 php for other nice cottages.
What I don't like: it is located on a very windy part of the island and at the time I was there (beginning of december) it was not very warm at night; the sea in front of the resort is not nice at all; the food is low quality because they don't have a chef and the waitresses cook.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Auckland, NZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2006

St Bernard is a small, homely, verdant, boutique oasis consisting of 8 x rondavel cottages with attached western bathrooms and it is located beachfront and in the middle of the local Barangay (village)
It has been built entirely to be also suitable for wheelchair users.
The cottages vary in price and size between approx US$13 to US$45 depending on whether it has aircon. They all have fans and radios.
The price for aircon cottages initially seems very steep, but electricity is generated and thus very expensive on the island.
Flemming (the owner) has built aviaries - filled with colourful native and exotic birds - attached to nearly all the cottages, so you wake up at sunrise with birds chirping away outside your window.
I stayed in the smallest cottage with a fan room that had a Nipa balcony attached where I could have my early morning coffee at my own table. Normally I would need a/c in my room, but I was comfortable most of the time because the resort is right on the beachfront and thus gets a mild breeze, and the resort has been planted with leafy shade and coconut trees.
My room was cold water with a basic double bed, shuttered windows, small bamboo table and stool, big bathroom with shower hose and a sink.
You really have to make your own fun on the island swimming, diving or cycling as it is not overly developed for tourism. The owners of the resort can organise a tricikad or jeepney driver for you, a Banca boat or diving trip all at pretty reasonable prices. There is no swimming pool at the resort, but beachfront swimming is ok (just ok) at high tide if you need to cool down. Otherwise walk along the beach for 500 metres and it is better for swimming.
My favourite meals at the resort were: ABF $2.75, then Chefs salad for lunch which included memorable marinated garlic for $3, and for dinner roast pork with crispy crackling, rich gravy and Danish style potatoes with white sauce and pickled red cabbage $4.
There is no service charges added to any of your bills, and tipping is neither encouraged nor expected. There are 8 x staff to serve your needs working on a restored basis, so there is always someone available to attend to you between 7.00am and 9.00pm. However, they do not have a dedicated wait staff or bar staff, so sometimes you have to find them to order your meal or drinks.

• Liked — Absolutely unique, warm friendly owners, quiet getaway.
  • Disliked — Noise from neighbouring village
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat the roast pork, be prepared to make your own fun.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Balinova