“Great place, great beach”

Marlin's Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Bantayan Island
Reviewed 25 June 2013

A friend and I recently spent three days at this resort. Very nice experience. We looked at several resorts on the island and Marlin's was the best value and beach by far. The rooms were nothing special but were large and had everything you needed. The grounds were immaculate and the staff was very friendly. The only down side was the food but I have been in the Philippines for quite a while now and am pretty much used to that. Will definitely be back.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Adam J

Reviewed 6 June 2013

my niece booked 3 rooms for us. 2 regular rooms and 1 beach front room. from the reviews i've read, it seems a nice hotel. when we arrived the girl on duty at the reception was quite nice and friendly, we were lead to our rooms. when you first enter the room, it seems okay, but when you start switching on the lights , so many are busted,the bathroom has a certain stinky and cockroachy smell.the safe deposit does not work and you still have to collect another key to use it. when i opened the ref it was disgusting as there were molds and rust all over it. i ask my son to go to the reception and ask somebody to clean it. when my son took a shower there was a spider crawling in the shower the beds were 2 small twin size beds fit for a child. i asked them if there have any other bed but was told that it was all the same for the beach front rooms. . we also asked them to have our busted verandah and bathroom lights fixed but nobody came to fix it. when we asked for another towel, my son was told that there is an extra charge for it. after all the defects of the room, i was pretty upset and went to complain to the reception . there was another girl on duty and she told me that that was not the original room assigned to us so i asked her to show me the original room. when we went inside the orig room and she switched on the lights it wasn't working also and she opened the ref it was the same rusty and moldy state as my room, so i just told her to forget it and let me change to a regular room the 2nd night because i am not happy and satisfied with my present room but she told me they were fully book , i consulted with the rest of the group and considering the hassle of packing and unpacking we just decided to stay for another day. the regular rooms my niece's had were actually double size than my beachfront room but the state of the rooms were just as bad . i think the hotel needs to focus and spend more on the maintenance of the rooms.. its a pity coz they actually have a nice beach front..oops i forgot to mention also they have nice beach lounge seats with colorful umbrella shades, but it seems they didnt want us to use it. we opened one umbrella shade and somebody came to assist us but after we opened one they rushed to the rest of the umbrellas and covered it ..sending us the message that its not suppose to be used..hahaha..Totally not recommended hotel until they fix their maintenance problem..

Room Tip: pls go somewhere else..
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tysky_12
Reviewed 17 May 2013

thank you for the good food, drinks, mango shake, services, and memories.... thanks to the pregnant waitress and other personals they were so kind and funny... im the guy with plenty of tattoos!!!! from Sweden to Marlin Beach Resort SALAMAT <3 Eric and Dorthe

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jongix
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Day before we get to the Bantayan iland, we were looking for place to sleep and relax.
At first we try to book some other places which are very famous in Bantayan such as Okdong, Bujong but time when I decide to visit to Bantayan was Friday which means there is any room left for us.
I had no choice to choose resort that I wanted and I found this resort from here.
At first we were worry after we check reviewing of this resort but as I mention that I had no choice and this is the one which was vacancy.
We were worry, but I will tell you what makes ourfamily get most happy.
Fisrt They have free pick up service with nice Aircon Van which I never expect.
Second They have free iland hopping whcih other place charge 1500 p.
Third this is most important. There is not many guest so we can have quiet relax.

u know there three thing is enough to make us most happy family.

Like others saying I agree that room was not so perpect but come on It is Bantayan !
Try to find nice hotel like Cebu City in Bantayan !
And food was not so bad but was late, even these I can handel because we were relaxing!
And I never agree that staff was not kind, they were so kind to my family and smile all the time.

If you ask me to go Bantayan again then my resort will be here.

By Korean Family...

Room Tip: Please ask pick up service and iland hopping, it's all free.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DsLee79311
Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

Let me start with the exchange of emails with someone from marlin's. When we were talking about the date of arrival and payment, they replied super fast, after I made the downpayment it took them more than 24hours to confirm (i seriously thought I was scammed. Esp. Since there were no contact number to reach them. The only one they had was the landline which does not work. I tried to call numerous times)
We had an agreement that they would pick us up from ogtong, they said to inform the front desk of ogtong cave resort and I did, but their phone wasn't working i tried calling marlin's by using my mobile phone but no luck. I even sent them an email, no reply. I was so upset because they din't give a mobile number to contact them in case somthing like that happens. It was a good thing ogtong cave agreed to drop us off at marlin's.
When we went to marlins i asked them what happened etc why they dint pick us up, said their phone was dead. I decided not to argue with them because I didn't want to ruin my second day. When we reached pur rooms i was hoping that it would be like the hotels in manila or at least close to hotels in manila given their price and that i had to make a downpayment. But no, the price i paid was definitely not worth it. The room was decent enough but was so not worth 4,900. Even my friend's room looked like it was about to fall apart. Me and my boyfriend stayed at their beachfront room. I got even more upset because it just faced the beach but you can't see it because of the trees. We decided to have lunch before taking a nap.
FOOD
-the food is crap and overpriced. We were thinking that maybe it was because of the food we chose during lunch. But when we ate dinner... we seriously felt robbed. We spent almost 2,500 for nothing. None of us ate it. Their steamed tanigue does not taste good seriously and their crab???? You'd think that nothing could go wrong because it's crab but no. It doesn't taste fresh, it was dry, and they gave me the crab that has the hard orange egg thing. I was so disappointed i had to drink alcohol when none of us planned on drinking. My boyfriend ordered filet mignon, but to our surprise, it wasn't the filet mignon steak, it was fish, and it was like fish fillet. We were so upset and hungry but the food was so bad we didn't eat it. Breakfast was okay.. Better than lunch and dinner at least. We were able to eat it that's one thing.

STAFF
Not friendly. Bad customer service. I wanted to tell the lady that took our orders to get another job she doesn't smile and whenever we make special requests she'd frown. There were only 2 girls that i liked there they were all smiles and they were very willing to help. They dint sell medicine there and my boyfriend's head was pounding. Seriously no any kind of medicine.

They had the best shore there yeah but the rooms and service and food suck. Worst place ever. I seriously did not enjoy my stay there it ruined my vacation. I advise you stay away from this place. Very expensive. The price wouldn't hurt if the food and service and rooms were good but it's so not worth it! Everything is so not worth it. I regret i stayed in this place. I advise you guys stay in ogtong cave resort, food is good, cheap and their place is great

• Stayed: April 2013
6  Thank meoooow
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Me and my wife spent our anniversary here at Marlin's beach resort just last week. We totally didn't enjoy the place at all. I have to say that they have the best beach you can find on Island and there are SOME nice staffs that are very accommodating however there are too many cons to mention that is why we didn't like our stay at all. You will feel a slight discrimination on this place because the staffs prioritizes foreigners instead of the locals.

I will start with our room. In terms of safety, the vault has no automatic lock mechanism. You need to use a key in order to secure the fault, and it is very difficult to use because sometimes the vault door won't budge at all. The cabinet smells like it's been there for 100 years, same as with the smell of their towels. Bathroom smells the same, tiles are very old, you will see rust everywhere, sink is clogged and water runs all over the bathroom when you use the shower. There is no bidets so you can't wash after you take a dump. You cannot open the windows in your room, doors are plastic so the room is not secured at all. Rooms smells just like the bathroom.

Restaurant is ok - food is just average, nothing special at all. When I ordered tocino for breakfast, they served me a very stinky tocino. It smells like double dead to me so I did't eat it further. I did inform the staff about the tocino but I didn't complain any further because I'm afraid we will be treated more badly.

Also, try to avoid a guy named "Miguel about 5’5 tall and has a big tummy" he is a local resident there which offer's scooters and multicabs if you want to roam around the city. We rented his blue multicab for 1000php on that day (500 for gas and 500 for the rent), and we roamed around the city . We went to nature park and bantayan church. We decided to get back to our hotel to get some stuffs before we go back to the city and venture forth and we bumped into him on our way out. He said that time is already up and he needs to use the multicab, we said that we only consumed 1/4 of the gas and we are not yet done with our trip. He has too many excuses to say and he is very desperate to get his vehicle back. He started raising his voice and we didn’t argue further. He is such an arrogant and greedy man.

Our overall stay was not worth it, given that we have booked the most expensive room at Marlins (4500 beach front). Turns out to be a disaster trip for us. I suggest you stay at hoyohoy instead. Marlins resort is no longer at its prime.

Room Tip: Book at hoyohoy
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tikoo M
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We were greeted at the pier with a sign with our names on it, even though we had given no indication of arrival time. This was a very good sign. In fact, all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The whole feel of the place is somewhat of a rustic charm, with great views out over the water and a fairly nice beach in front of the hotel. Deck chairs and loungers were minimal, so we opted for lying on the sand.

The rooms were clean and basic, with mini bar, TV and if you were close enough to the restaurant you could access the wifi from your room.

The hot water in the shower was touch and go though - sometimes it was hot, other times it was not.

The restaurant was probably the lowest point, with not great food that seemingly took forever - literally 50 minutes for a tomato salad to arrive.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple