“Outstanding hotel”

Novosibirsk, Russia
“Outstanding hotel”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Hotel very interesting:
1. A good view on ocean (one of the best to Bali).
2. Comprehensible cost of villa (considering quantity of bedrooms).
3. Good (especially for Bali) beach hotel, the elevator to the beach hotel.
4. Full kitchen on a villa, including the big refrigerator, the dishwasher and the washing machine.
However, hardly the view from your villa will be such, as in a photo on a hotel website. A such view only from restaurant Dimare (breakfast), spa and top villa № 10, 11, 36 and 34, apparently on a map. Villas are located along a ravine (on this ravine and there will be a view from your villa) where monkeys live. Monkeys aren't aggressive, though it is necessary to be vigilant. One monkey tried to come in our villa having seen bananas. It would be fairer to divide villas: with a view, no view.
We lived in hotel long enough (on mine of 12 nights) and we weren't delighted with dinners at restaurant. To go in Kuta or Nusa Dua was long enough. Therefore we some times made home dinners on our villa (the wife wanted to feed the daughter who lives for a long time in other country).
Spa was quite good, the wife and the daughter visited some times.
Owners of villas of hotel different people, therefore the equipment of different villas can differ from each other.
In general Karma Kandara noteworthy hotel. Particularly suitable for families.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Igorivan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Karma Kandara is a beautiful place to stay. We were accommodated in a spacious, clean villa with glimpses of the ocean. I cannot fault the accommodation. The hotel staff were also very helpful. The kids club was great. The spa was wonderful. And Nammos beach club is superb (the food and service at Nammos was fine).

The problem is Di Mare restaurant which was so far below expectations for a five star resort. Breakfast is only available at Di Mare. Service at breakfast was slow and so unfriendly! Our children were scowled at! Not a nice way to make families feel welcome when the rest of the resort is very family friendly. The staff here really buck the reputation of the Balinese being a happy bunch. The coffee was weak and awful, the juices were more like sweetened fruit drinks, the eggs were cold and the bacon I was served had a film of scum all over it. I took my own cereal to Di Mare for the remainder of our stay.

My husband and I also had dinner at Di Mare on our first night. It was average to say the least. My wagyu strip loin was so not wagyu. It was tough and chewy, not melt in the mouth even though it was supposed to be medium rare. The pork belly my husband ordered was watery and tasteless without the crunch/melt sensation of good pork belly. My husband's ice-cream selection for dessert was vanilla, chocolate and strawberry straight out of a tub. Not a vanilla bean or real strawberry in sight. Is this good enough in a five star establishment and at these high prices?

The restaurant itself looks tired and shabby. Time for a change.

We ate dinner at Bulgari and Alila resorts for the remainder of our stay. Both were amazing. This is the type of food and service which should be available at Karma. I highly recommend Il Ristorante at Bulgari and Warung at Alila. You won't be disappointed at either.

Just to reiterate, at Nammos we enjoyed friendly service and good food.

• Stayed November 2011
3 Thank AnnaMcKinnon
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

I have a wonderful holiday weekend me and my friends at Karma kandara resort and spa, Uluwatu-Bali. The great resort with the great oceans view, the place for holiday and get the relax while enjoying the beautiful views. I really want to go back and stay there for my holiday. That is the very great moments that i never forget. I can lay down on the white sand beach so relax and enjoying the blue ocean and having the beautiful sunset on my afternoon weekend. All my album was taken during my holiday. What great resort and i'll be back again someday... :)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Hong Kong
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We visited this resort as a day trip. We wanted a cliff edge ocean view spa experience, so we tried this place out.

Spa staff was very friendly. The waiting area was very relaxing with view of the Indian Ocean. The couple room was what we expected, a small wooden structure with full floor to ceiling view of the ocean from the cliff. The windows are opened so you can hear the waves. The massage was quite good, better than most Bali hotels I've tried. And after the massage you can use the jacuzzi that over looks the ocean, it was definitely an experience.

We also had a chance to eat at the Nammos Beach Club, its a must if you visit this resort. You literally take a tram from the spa area down to the bottom where the beach club is. They had live music, some bales out on the beach side, and lit candles on the beach, very relaxing. The food was good and reasonably priced. They had pizzas, local fares, and the usual western fares. Kid menu was radily available.

As I didn't stay here I can't comment on the rooms. But if you dislike the crowded experience in Seminyak, or the sterile feeling of Nusa Dua, then Ungasan is for you. Its super secluded, it was about 30 min car ride to Nusa Dua. There was nothing around this resort other than barren lands and dry bushes, so you definitely need a ride.

Overall its a good exotic resort. Not as touristy as Seminyak and very private. Totally relaxing, the tram ride was also nice.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank checkincheck0ut
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Stayed in September 2011. What a great place to unwind and relax. Not for shopping and looking for adventure just enjoying the beauty! About an hours drive to Seminyak in traffic but who wants to shop when you can just relax.
Kitchen and bathrooms could be a little cleaner and cupboards need updating but otherwise we had a great experience. Nammos wonderful food, vibe and service. Ocean water not best to swim in as there are tides, currents and sea urchins. Di mare serves delicious breakfast. Amazing staff all round.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Ginaki3144
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We went to Karma Kandara for our honeymoon and the villas are gorgeous as is the view from all aspects of the resort. The service was reasonably good and it certainly is a great place to go if you want privacy and a fairly quiet, relaxing holiday. The very expensive food, however, had a lot to be desired. My husband and I both agreed that we would be happy to pay the five star price for food if it was of five star quality which at both restaurants (Di Mare and Nammos) it absolutely was not. The cocktails are also extremely overpriced - twice what we were paying at the W in Seminyak which is also five star! Due to the fact that you are fairly isolated at Karma Kandara there isnt really another option to walk to another restaurant and you therefore feel a little cheated that they've jacked up the prices for this average food knowing this is the case. The restaurant and the cocktail bar do have a nice vibe and amazing views but the quality versus cost doesnt add up. If they fix this it could be one unbelievable resort. My tip is if you stay there eat out!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank elizah826
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Being a frequent visitor to Bali, I have visited the Nammos Beach Club on several occasions and this trip decided to stay at Karma Kandara for 4 nights so I could enjoy the resort, the beach club while my boyfriend surfed Uluwatu most days. On arrival we were told we had been allocated a 3 bedroom ocean facing villa (which was massive for 2 of us, and the surf boards had their own room!), an ocean facing horizon pool which was absolutely outstanding. We had so much space, stunning view, and for the most part it was very private... aside from the guests walking across the bridge seeing me doing my morning yoga in the villa by the pool!
The cliff facing resort grounds are beautiful, not very Balinese in style more Mediterranean with wash walls and bougainvillea everywhere. The villa contained every modern convenience we could need, but was missing a filtered water tank which is necessary in Bali - there was water provided in the bathrooms however for a resort with the most amazing service and luxuries the water filter must be an oversight.
The breakfast every day at di Mare was a highlight... I think we tried every option and loved every one, especially the omelette. The food at Nammos is also excellent, great pizza! We loaded up on beers and snacks before we arrived, especially if you don't have a motorbike to get around.
The massages in the spa on the cliff overlooking the beach was wonderful and the gym was great too.
The resort is absolute luxury, the views are breathtaking, the staff were all lovely, the beach is the one of the only beaches I'll swim at in Bali, and soo relaxing hanging out at Nammos all day, great food and music.
I hope you enjoy Karma as much as we did!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean facing villa!