“Classy oasis of charm”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Ungasan
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Classy oasis of charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We spent three nights at a villa in Karma Kandara with extended family. We stayed in a 4-bedroom villa that was beautiful and tastefully furnished. My first reaction was that I wished I had a house like it. The staff were outstanding and the rooms division manager, Jeff, personable and helpful. One of us got sick while there and the hotel arranged for a doctor to come to the villa. Being villa-bound for two days wasn't so bad because it was light and airy with soothing views of tropical trees and the ocean. Nighttime was another matter - lighting in the villa was so dim that one could only read with difficulty.
It was quiet - too quiet for a city person like me and the highlight of my stay was a four-hour excursion to Seminyak. Also the villas are on a cliff, I think, so walking even a tiny distance - to spa and restaurants - under a scorching sun wasn't fun. That said, the view from the spa is fabulous and a massage, in an ocean front room with windows wide open, a real treat.
The food in the hotel restaurants was excellent and children under twelve, of whom there were two in our menage, got free meals.
In sum - beautiful, classy but relatively isolated (especially when compared with the bustle of hotels in Seminyak or Nusa Dua), perfect for a romantic weekend or week, less so for family fun and relaxation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Karma_Resorts_Group, Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Mandya162,

We are so happy you have enjoyed your stay with us here at Karma. Although you did get a bit sick, I know you and your family fully enjoyed what we have to offer. Also we appreciate your feedback in regards to the lighting and I have been working up some ideas since your departure. The pathways can be a bit tricky but isn’t it worth it!
I wish you and your family all the best and thank you again for sharing your wonderful experience with the world.

Truly yours,

Geoff Drake
Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Lismore, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is not a common place. We have a time share property here. We enjoy the two bed room luxury pool villa every time we get here. We have a formula now. Last week we were there. The store manager Geoff was kind enough to let us have a big fridge.

Pool cleaned everyday by one person. The pool garden is cleaned by another person. Fruit is replaced by one guy and then the room serviced by a bunch go guys.

This is a local paradise. The beach and the view from the top is amazing.

We love the tropical fruits Rambutan and Mangustan, papaya, banana etc.

Room Tip: We go to jimbaran wellness massage place very nearby. Three hour massage is a luxury . Jimbaran sea...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Karma_Resorts_Group, General Manager at Karma Kandara, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear GeePee64,

Thank you for your trip advisor feedback. Looking forward to your return soon and will ensure the big fridge and tropical fruits are ready for you and family too.

Warm Regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Fantastic place for family vacation, with spectacular scenery.
A very private resort which you can spend a good time relaxing with exhilarating views of the ocean.
The staff were very nice and helpful. They were very attentive and readily for help.
Getting from the villa down to the beach club via tram provided a fun experience.
Only one event that really bothers me that I have included a friend to joint us, and has made a very shameful act. I feel that makes it very difficult on my daughter as a member of Karma. Other than that everything is perfect here.
I can wholeheartedly recommend this resort.
Thank you to all the staff at Karma Kandara for making my stay a most memorable.

Dear LucktyNana168,

We are continuously conducting hands on training with our staff in regards to attentiveness and service and to hear that it is paying off, is excellent news. I am so happy we meet all your expectations during your stay. I hope your daughter brings you back as she is part of the “Royal” family.

All the best,

Geoff Drake
Rooms Division Manager
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Just back from another great week at Karma Kandara,

This is my fourth time to this beautiful place. Not everything is perfect. I have stayed at Hotel De Crillon, Byblos Hotel in Cannes, In Presidential Suite at the Hilton in Hong Kong etc..... This is 5 star in a different way.

A great day spa, the best I have been to in a long time. It reminded me of how absolutely gorgeous this resort is and the people that attend to you whist there you could almost think you had arrived into the clouds of heaven,,, Hopefully to young to do that yet.. and perhaps that Karma Kandara is the godly spot we all end up at if we are good!!!!

Pretty is not a word neither is nice as it devalues the whole experience me and me many friends that have shared this stay with me whom will also say amazing.

The Balinese have such beautiful smiles.

The renovations at the beach club are wonderful , the water is just so crystal clear and you have to try the dragon Sushi, it's sensational.. I tried the stand up paddle boards for the first time , not as hard as it looks and the life guards were darlings to help me with some lessons.

Got upgraded again to a three bedroom villa , this time in a different style but all such great space to enjoy . Much Bigger than my apartment in Sydney. I just love the outdoor open air bathrooms.

Watch out for the traffic when you try to go down town in the evening time you get stuck with cars from the temple coming back after sunset.

Prices in the restaurants are high but worth it and most good restaurants now in Seminyak are similar.

Going back again next year !!!!!!

Room Tip: Just enjoy the beautiful view and the lovely staff that do their absolute uptmost to make sure your...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisa Ann F
Dear Lisa Ann F,

It was a pleasure to have you back. Next time lets try the sunrise yoga or if you lucky we are also have Full moon yoga where you will have different experience.
Thanks again for your great feedback on the new look of the beach club as well as the villa ambiance. Look forward to your return.

Kinds Regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I just got back from a trip to Bali which was really good but made great by our experience here. Very often the service lets the setting down or vice versa. Karma Kandara has both in bucket-loads. No trip to Bali would be complete without this on the agenda! Loved it and will be coming back!

Dear Neil P,

Thank you for your feedback, we pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Again, thanks for your great feedback and love to have you back soon.

Regards,

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I checked in to the Karma Kandara and contrary to what I have read from the last couple of reviews, our experience was completely different. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly , welcoming and attentive. I'm surprised when people write about stairs and having to walk! I'd like to point out that the resort is built on a cliff and that's the beauty of it! Fantastic view! Any resort in the world, built on a cliff, has stairs and people must walk. As for sea creatures, that's even funnier, hello that's the ocean! The beauty of this resort far out ways a few steps and couple of creatures living in their natural habitat.
We had a beautiful romantic dinner in the restaurant overlooking the ocean and pool. The meal was beautifully presented, tasted fabulous and the service was amazing! The Caramel chocolate desert was a winner! Actually entrée, main and drinks were FAB! Make sure you have an espresso martini!
The SPA.I have travelled the world, stayed in many famous hotels and I feel the ladies really know what they were doing and again you can't beat the view or treatments.
Our room, beautiful pool, everything we needed, everything worked, what more can you say! It was great. I think when you are starting to complaining about depth of pool or length, its time for a reality check. It's called a plunge pool, to enjoy in the privacy of your villa, not to train for the Olympics!
We met the Manager Rochelle, we congratulated her on her wonderful team, we could tell they all enjoyed their jobs and loved their working environment. Great Job Rochelle, we look forward to returning to your wonderful resort and enjoying everything about Karma Kandara.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kate b
Dear Kate_b,

Thank you for your great feedback, pleasure to hear you had a great time.
I will proudly share you comments to my great team, they deserved for their hard work and genuine service.

Looking forward to welcoming you and husband back again.

Warm Regards,
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

This hotel uses a lot of tricks including surprise charges at check out, and physically stopping us from leaving at risk of missing our flight by opening our taxi door on the side where my 6 year old child sat, then blocking our taxi with various hotel vehicles while claiming that I hadn't left an imprint of my credit card or signed their registration contract, threatening to call the "tourist police", finally releasing the door without so much as an apology when they realized they were wrong.
Not only had I put my credit card down upon registration, but also my confirmation letter says "Prepayment in full" as well as non-changeable and non cancellable, so again, how could it possibly be unpaid?

Pros
Food tasted good
Pretty

We booked here because our Indonesian friends have a time share here, and we wanted to be with our friends. We would have done better to book anywhere else in Bali and visit.

Cons
Location far from everything, even within Karma Kandara, you have to wait for a "buggy", even if you wanted to walk in the extraordinary heat and humidity (the hottest part of Bali) you can't find your way, there are no maps or plans of the hotel complex and the paths are mis marked. You must get a car and driver.

Facilities- deteriorating. We had 2 different "villa" accommodations, our air conditioning broke 5 times in one room, 3 times in the other, the safe was locked when we arrived in the second, and locked again with my jewelry inside, both times requiring a technician to open, water bottles supplied had expanded in their bamboo box decorative holders - couldn't get them out. The freezer let our ice cream melt, there was no hot water in the shower- I got to know the engineering staff pretty well... Faucets fell apart in my hand, sink stoppers were stuck, shower heads blocked with crud... the people who work here are really nice and come quickly for repairs and help- and we needed a lot of help. I felt penned in because I couldn't just go where I wanted, I needed to have someone come and get me to take me anywhere. They were nice enough about it, but it was still strange.

Bugs- mosquitoes are a huge problem. The hotel guide says there are coils under the sink for use with a terra cotta pot, and there are electric plug in diffusers they can plug in your room. Ants are also a problem, I opened a fresh carton of milk and poured into a mug for my son- he found ants in the milk.

Pools- the beach is pretty and shallow but there are dangers under foot, sea urchins and such so to swim we'd prefer a pool. There is a small curved pool around the hot not air conditioned dining "room", not suitable for much, and strange to be on view of the diners. Each villa had a small pool, differing lengths and depths- our friends' was no more than 18 feet long, our first was more than 22 ft long, and about 3.5 feet deep, our second was about 5 feet deep, so unsafe for my son, who swims but needs to be able to stand as well. I could not measure because there were infinity sides on all sides, which also sucked any pool toys over the edge.

Activities- the Monthly "events" calendar is simply ads. Kid events are making a small batik item or a cooking lesson for 20 dollars or so...

Comfort- No place provided to hang wet bathing gear. When I asked they supplied wire hangars we were to hang on the shade umbrella... A clumsy affair, and then it rained, and everything was wet again. There are NO feather pillows, only hard foam rubber type. In the first villa, there were no shades on the morning sun side, and the manager offered garbage bags to block the light. In the second villa, no drinking glasses, only coffee mugs and wine stems. Wifi was spotty and wouldnt support instant messaging. Outlets were hard to find and illogically placed ( e.g. I had to leave my computer on the kitchen table) light switches - easily 20 switches in the first villa, for accent lights, which left the rooms dark in any case, and no rhyme or reason in their placement.

Fees- already paying $640/nt, then being charged incessantly. e.g. We were invited to happy hour with "complimentary" canapés only to discover we must buy a drink to be eligible for the "complimentary" canapés. "breakfast included" means Danish and coffee "continental" breakfast. If we could have gone some place nearby for food that might be different, if there was an alternative, but there's nothing near.

Technology- They couldn't access their own confirmation letter at check in, I had to forward it to them, they don't answer emails, although my confirmation letter clearly stated in the comments section that we wanted to be near our friends, they put our friends next to a construction area with no possibility of a nearby room, a two page faintly printed checkout xerox on our bed told us we'd need to pay an airport departure tax in local currency, I didn't find the note until we went to sleep the night before our flight.

Children- the whole place is a hazard for kids, railings were just two wires a kid could easily fall through, stairs with no railings, pool far too deep for a child to stand, at least they had Disney jr and Nickelodeon, but I didn't bring my child to Bali to watch tv.

Management:. My personal concierge was just so relieved to be in air conditioning and let me entertain her, she offered garbage bags for the windows that were missing drapes, she said I could call upon her at her extension- but she was never there, when we moved rooms, I asked the operator to notify our friends we had moved so they could find us. Instead, the operator told our friends we moved and that didn't want to hear from them!!!!!!! Our friends left without us for the day, offended, and we were stranded at the hotel because we were depending on their car and driver. Finally we ordered a taxi but taxis only take cash in Indonesia, and I hadn't much cash on me. I asked the hotel to let us charge it to the room, so I could pay the driver. The staff at reception said "the manager is not here, only returning in the morning" and "our accounting department returns on Tuesday". The driver even offered to wait to be paid until Tuesday, and stlll the hotel refused. When we discovered they had told our friends we didn't want to see them, we had a shouting match between friends at breakfast and two cars with drivers instead of one, after traveling all the way around the world to be together, the hotel still refused to let us charge to to our card on file to pay the driver. Here it was the next morning, at 930am on a weekday they said the manager still wasn't in!!!! Once our friends realized the mistake the hotel made, they loaned us the cash so we could pay our driver.

Which brings us back to where I began this review... At departure, with the general manager suddenly popped up not only not offering us any accommodation or apology, she actually opened our taxi door, accused me of not paying the bill, threatened to call the police, and she was 1000% incorrect, she hadn't even checked her records before she made these outrageous assertions. Finally the staff told her we had paid, had a card on file, had already signed, and we escaped this terrible situation.

It appears that this hotel once was great and now is something entirely different.

18 Thank SingleMomTravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ungasan
Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali
#13 of 55 in Jimbaran
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,407 reviews
The Villas at AYANA Resort BALI
Anantara Uluwatu Bali Resort

Been to Karma Kandara? Share your experiences!