“dont judge a hotel by its fancy name”

Chateau de Bali Ungasan
Kuching, Malaysia
“dont judge a hotel by its fancy name”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

If there is one hotel that upsets all the theories about hospitality and service. This is one great example !
Called the hotel to check on my friend who had booked in for 2 nights. I was simply told that no such person. receptionist gave me wrong directions to hotel despite my verifications for 3 times. Obviously she (Bagus) did not understand my question in English,
Upon arrival at the hotel, there was no one at the entire lobby,
was informed by guest that hotel room had a leak on the roof due to very poor maintainence. door bell wasnt working and the door lock doesnt seem to work so was the room telephone.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sarawaklaksa
Budi P, Front Office Manager at Chateau de Bali Ungasan, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate your comments as they help us to improve our product and services quality.

I will start from your comment about our receptiont, when you call us you was mention different name so it was not in our list, we can not assume any name if it is not match with your mention name and the spelling. Any way Bagus is a male and we are continuing for English skill training program to all of our staff.

About our lobby, our lobby is huge and no guest going to spend their time in the lobby except when they check in/check out, waiting for their pick up or just to visit our front office counter when they need any assistant,ohters they just spend their time in the villa, using their private pool enjoying living room with home theatre system and using other facilities that we are provided in the villa.

Last view weeks the weather in Bali specialy around Ungasan area was extreme, heavy rain with hard wind for almost every days and hits our roof, some part of the roof are leak and we started to work with this and keep maintaining for the others part of villa.

I am sorry CHATEAU DE BALI did not live up to your expectations and we are confident for the future that we will be able to continue working hard to make sure all of our guest staying with us enjoy.

Best regards,

I Putu Gede Budiarta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I booked and paid for 5 nights at a good discount. Sadly I didn't read any of the previous reviews of this establishment or I would not have been here. After one day, I wanted to check out but not wanting to burn my money, I held out till the end. The villas are located in a barren, remote part of Bali and it's so quiet, it's unnerving - really! The site is hilly but chaffeured buggies are available to ferry you and the very few other guests around. The villas themselves are spacious but sparsely furnished. The wifi/internet doesn't work and a complaint went unheeded. Large plasma tv and dvd in lounge area but no tv in bedroom. Toiletries insufficient and low quality. Kitchen replete with full oven/stove, dishwasher and microwave has no cooking utensils let alone crockery and glassware (2 teacups and 2 wine glasses excepted). Light switches are in the darndest places as are power sockets of which there are way too few. In-room dining menu is limited, expensive and very poor quality. Breakfast also poor - food tasteless and cheap options. Private pool is great but bale bengong (gazebo) has no mattress or cushions - just wooden planks. Grounds are well maintained but main pool out of use, seemingly for months per other reviewers but the staff were untruthful about this. Pity because it looked like it was once great. Remoteness means you need transport even just to buy basic necessities. Hotel provided transport is expensive. Most hotel staff were polite and friendly. The supervisor/duty manager not so but was defensive, confrontational and unapologetic. I felt sorry for the staff - they seemed to know things were not good but were powerless to do anything. During my visit I saw some truckloads of new furniture being delivered to the lower level villas so perhaps some upgrade is in progress. But it will take more than new furniture to raise this establishment to a true star rating. In the meantime I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Budi P, Front Office Manager at Chateau de Bali Ungasan, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Dear Bulegaul,

Thank you for choosing Chateau de Bali Ungasan and we were proud having a chance to serve you in our villa by providing free upgrading to our 3 bedroom villa upon your arrival instead of your original booking at one bedroom villa.

Kindly we would like to present our apologies for a less than perfect stay. Thank you for your time in communicating these valuable comments and. It is makes us continually strive for tangible improvements, in providing luxury accommodation product and services, to our guests for the future.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

Best Regards,

I Putu Gede Budiarta

Travellers are raving about these Ungasan hotels

Hsinchu
Reviewed 29 October 2012

這個地方真是出乎我意料的棒!之前的評論幾乎都是偏負面的,讓我去之前都有點擔心,但是當我一到我的房間時,寬敞的浴室,乾溼分離的shower room, 真是讓我大吃一驚!走出門外,因為晚上有打燈,所以游泳池的水是溫暖的。游完泳可以在旁邊的發呆亭一邊吹舒服的涼風看星星,一邊喝著在山下買來的啤酒和朋友聊聊天,真的是人生一大享受阿!
雖然沒有管家來我「家」煮早餐,但是去餐廳吃的選擇比我想像中的多很多!有新鮮果汁、自助式的西式早餐。吃飽還可以入境隨俗的去外面的發呆亭「放鬆」一下,再回villa休息(有兩種方式可以選擇,一種是慢慢散步回villa,另一種是如果有老人家同行的話,可以跟餐廳服務人員說一聲,就會有我們稱高爾夫球車的buggies來接送)。建議大家吃飽後慢慢散步回villa,因為沿路都是盛開的花朵,有不同種的九重葛、馬纓丹、雞蛋花等等不同的花種,很值得花個3,5分鐘欣賞一下!
唯一讓我覺得不滿意的是在我入住期間,因為施工的關係,所以噪音滿大的,但是這會讓我期待下次來會不會有讓我驚喜的新設施出現!我想下次來巴里島,入住的機會應該很大唷! :)

Unlike the comments described before, Chateau de Bli has changed A LOT! In every villa, there is a wifi server, so we don't have to worried about Internet! The room is also recommended, I like my bathing room the MOST! You can take a shower in the shower room first, then walk into the comfortable bathtub.
The swimming pool is nice too, the water is warm at night, so I don't have to worried about the water temperature. Every path is full of flowers, and it is very delightful for me to walk to the dining place (If you go with elders, don't worry, they provide buggies. Just call the lobby, buggies will come in 5 minutes).
The only thing bothered me was that there were some places still under construction, I was awoke by the noise. But for me, that meant they are improving, and I think I will go there again in the coming year!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CarolWei317
Dear Carol Wei 317,

Thank you for your review of Chateau de Bali Ungasan. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at Chateau de Bali Ungasan.

We sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future to experience our better services and facilities.

see you next year.

Best Regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I booked three nights on Agoda given a massively reduced rate. Having never been to the area, I had no idea the location. If you are after remote, get away from it all, it could be perfect for you....its in the middle of nowhere. As far as I could tell I was THE only person staying in the entire hotel.
Upon arrival I was told the electricity was out for the entire hotel, and they were not sure when/if it would be fixed.
The Villa's themselves are massive....but full of, well, nothing. There is a fully functioning kitchen, microwave, you name it...but not one pot, nor pan, nor plate, nor glass....
The bathroom was equally as large...unfortunately I think the sewerage had a direct line into the bathroom...to the point where the garden was often used instead.
The phone to reception didn't work, so it was a long walk with our luggage, in the heat.
There were no bin liners, so leftover fruit had to sit in a basket...
The staff, from what I saw were actually very lovely. I ate in the restaurant one night, must seat about 100 people....but it was so quiet, they had to turn the lights and music on....
All in all, i'm sure if the place was full and busy, they might attend to some of the problems, but we felt sorry for honeymoon couples or similar IF they paid the full rate, as they'd be very disappointed.
I'd opt for something a little closer to the coast, a little cheaper, and busier....
Unfortunately its not a place I'd recommend, nor visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TMK22
Budi P, Front Office Manager at Chateau de Bali Ungasan, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear TMK 22,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor.com. we are sorry you left Chateau de Bali Ungasan disappointed.
Chateau de Bali Ungasan stunning on the part of Ungasan Hill, 10 minutes away from Dreamland and Balangan Beach, best place for traveler who love place away from noises. To full fill guest activity outside the villa we are providing free shuttle service with schedule 4 times a day to nearest shopping area such as Jimbaran Beach, Dreamland Beach, and new Kuta Golf, and nearest area around. So please nothing to worry if we are on the top of the hill.
As you mention in your review about electricity, there is bit trouble with us because once the electric shutdown, our generator couldn’t connect automatically at the time but it is just a few minute only and luckily it did not take longer and all solved done, the electricity back to normal and it’s no problem at all.
About the cutleries, we are pleased to say that we provide the cutleries in the villa is just for light cooking only ( make coffee or tea in the villa) and if any guest requesting breakfast, lunch dinners in the villas are base on request because all of our guests having a breakfast, lunch and dinner at our restaurant normally.
I also appreciate your positive comments about staff and will pass them on.
Thank you again, we are continuing upgrading the villa facilities to reach our guest expectation and I look forward to welcoming you for further of your vacation to Bali.

Yours sincerely

Front Office Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at Chateau de Bali for one night in October 2011 and I am just getting over the experience. It was by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. My wife and I were given a week's accommodation here for our wedding, but the hotel simply isn't ready to be open. About 60 per cent of the complex boarded up and incomplete; one pool was empty due to maintenance while the other was full of algae, bugs and flowers. The villas were ok, but missed simple things you expect in a luxury hotel, like a minibar or tv in the bedroom. But that's being picky - its the big things were this hotel fell down. Every single public pool was out of action, the common areas were dirty and unfinished and nothing like the photos on the hotel's website. The villas had private pools but ours was too warm to swim in for any length of time. There was no internet anywhere in the hotel - I had to use the computer at reception (to book another hotel). The worst thing was that we were the only guests at the hotel, an odd and entirely unpleasant feeling. The junior staff were lovely - they seemed genuinely happy to have guests. But the senior staff, particularly the manager who checked us in, were rude and deliberately kept the shortcomings of the hotel hidden from us - no one bothered to tell us when we checked in that the pools were out of service and when we came back to reception to ask, the manager had gone home. I could go on and on about just how awful this hotel was, but life's too short. We checked out after 16 hours and easily found a much nicer place. We took a risk (there weren't many tripadvisor reviews at the time) and we won't do that again. Safe to say we won't be going back.

Room Tip: Look somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KentP81
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I booked a villa at the Chateau for my partners birthday. The staff kindly upgraded us to the 3 bedroom villa. Unfortunately, that was the start of my nightmare. The room was huge but we did not have a proper nights sleep as there was a hole in the roof. It rained at night and the whole bed was wet. We would have called for help but the phone lines and WIFI were both down. So there we were, stranded in a huge villa with no means of getting in touch with anyone.

Before we knew that there was a hole in the roof, we tried to get a metered cab down to Jimbaran for dinner but we were forced to pay an exorbitant amount of money for the ride. As the place was secluded, we had no choice but to go for it. There was no use complaining to the staff as they got quite defensive. If you are looking for a nice villa getaway, i wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Blackcat111
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Secluded villa with great bathroom and private pool. But resort is not finished with limited services. Great location away from busy downtown area--but easy transport with car/driver.

Room Tip: Get a 2 bedrooms unit if more than 2 people.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple