“Disappointed experience”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Ungasan
Singapore, Singapore
“Disappointed experience”
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I had received a free stay at banyan tree with my Amex card, it was suppose to be an experience of a life time. But turned out so dreadful. I had even paid extra to have my family upgraded to a pool/sea view villa.
I had made my booking a year in advance and extended the stay by 2 nights. I had already informed them that I would be traveling with my family, wife and 3 kids.
On the day of check in they gave me villa 108. Somehow on that very night there was a wedding and they were having an after party till around 12+ on the first night. It kept me and my kids up with all the noise. The resort was only half full why couldn't they have placed us at a quieter villa in the first place when they were aware about the party. . When I called they said sorry the villa that I was suppose to have wasn't ready at that time, I checked in at 6pm and there were many that are empty. They also kept saying that it was only for that one night.
Although they offered to move us to another Villa it was already 11pm+ and we had unpacked.
The next day my baby fell ill due to the late night and we have to call for a in-house doctor.
With this kind of experience I should have listened to a friend and stayed at St Regis.
On a good note the staffs are polite and friendly.
Unfortunately for now I will not be planning to stay here next June.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Joseph_sg
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your feedback at Tripadvisor.

Firstly, let me humbly apologize for a less than perfect stay. I fully understand that the noise of our function have disturbed your peace of mind and privacy.

We will absolutely work with all Managers concern to manage a better arrangement for our next function where guest convenience will not be affected.

I do hope these unacceptable lapses do not preclude you from visiting us once again. As a gesture of goodwill, we have rebated the surcharge of room upgrade and the 3rd person charge which originally the reservation was for 2 adult and 3 children. No surcharge had been applied for any villa upgrade at any given time. The charges applied was for the third adult as we had no information that you indent to occupy one bedroom villa with 3 adults and three kids. Further we also like to clarify that the medical charges had been absorbed by the hotel, once again we like to apologize and our associates are advised to consider better in the future.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your time in communicating these valuable comments. It is feedback of this nature that makes us continually strive for tangible improvements, in providing luxury accommodation and service, to our guests.

We hope that we are given the opportunity of reinstating ourselves in your good faith by welcoming you back to our lovely resort in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Reinhold Johann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
new york
Reviewed 21 November 2011

From the initial greeting and check-in process to the villa, the staff and the spa everything was impeccable. I had not thought a hotel could be in and of itself a destination but I now know that is true of Banyan Tree. It is truly a sanctuary of the senses.

Room Tip: The pool villas are amazing and you can step out of your bedroom into the pool
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Its 9 months since we last stayed at Banyan Tree Ungasan. This time we stayed in a cliff edge ocean view villa - no 223.

I am not sure what I can say about BT Ungasan except - amazing, unbelievable, perfect. The villas are without fault - large pools, dining rooms, lounge - huge bathroom and even down to the reading light over your bed.

The cliff edge ocean villa was beautiful - we went to sleep to the sound of the waves crashing onto the beach. We woke to birds, frogs and even the occasional monkey.

BT Ungasan whilst the villas are perfect - i think the staff still need a little work. We were the only people in the restaurant having breakfast and we were ignored - we cleared out own dishes. This only happened 1 out of 3 mornings - but still!

Other than that - it was heaven!

Room Tip: They are all good rooms!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Faridabad, India
Reviewed 9 November 2011

we had been to banyan tree bali in sept with our friend couple....i must say one of the best resort i have seen till date.
i had been crazy for the resort from the day i saw its video on you tube and its even better than wht you see in video...the villa is amazing..so spacious...one would love it like anything with a good size personal swimming pool but our hard luck tht we couldn't get the nice ocean view villa...and the best part is they try their level best to pamper you..
one thing i would like to share is the view from the main swimming pool..its amazing and make you feel so relaxed...but there were few things that were missing which felt like a spot on the moon...firstly the resort is not having sufficient activities tht can keep you enagaged like their is hardly any indoor games etc. and the other was food coz being to such a luxury property it disappoints a lot tht you can't get the food of your choice as being a vegetarian there any option which can make you feel tht you are at the best..i think the resort should sincerely look after these two thngs...but surely i would love to go to banyan tree bali again in future...

Room Tip: one should make sure to opt for ocean view villa coz garden view villa have horrable view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Nice! 2nd Banyan vacation. Never go wrong. You get what you paid for. Nice food and villa.
Relax place. Not for kids under 10 and not for ppl want to swim. Beach is kinda joke that you can only do sunbath, which you can do it in your own private villa anyways. But if you want to listen to waves, that's nice. Also, beware of monkeys. Very aggressive. Never leave the patio doors open. We got 3 monkeys ran in the villa to steal some fruit. But it's a cool experience thought.

Room Tip: You get what you paid for. That's all I can say!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank superpickywife
sydney
Reviewed 30 October 2011

very nice place to stay. the staffs are very friendly and helpful.
Now about the downside: very expensive place to stay and quite far from shopping area. My wife booked for an ocean room view knowing that I will take some photos - that's only reason we are staying there but we ended up getting a room with 1/4 ocean view only but paid a full price. Not very happy about it!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 70bob
Singapore
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Banyan Tree Ungasan is located in an isolated = peaceful area of Bali. Once you get there you can forget everything else in the world. The villa design is great. If you want to follow the news at least we had TVs and music players in more places than we needed. Everything in the villa works fine. However when we arrived we ordered burger from the room service. It was not only disappointing, but really a shock. The salad had seen its expiry date some time ago and the fries were not appetizing at all. You could think that a burger is a burger - some hotels make really nice burgers, but Banyan Tree not. The price for 2 burgers with fries and 4 chicken wings (which were delicious) was about USD50. Waste of money. In the villa you need to close the doors and do not bring anything outside that you cannot loose. At least the villas with garden view face the wild forest and we had 3 monkey visitors. In the evening we went to the Ju-Ma-Na restaurant. Except the vinegary glass of red wine that I received first and had changed without problem the dinner was great. Seafood tower as an appetizer was fresh and the Surf and Turf was equally good. Service in the restaurant was impeccable. On our last day I wanted to have tea. Sounds simple, the drink menu tells there is a selection of tea available. I ask: what is available? Answer: I need to come back. I ask again and get the answer: We have tea. This goes around a couple of rounds when finally I am told that I will get English Breakfast tea. I didn't want it and told kindly that do you have green tea. Again need to come back. I finally got my tea, but I was wondering whether there is something wrong with the HR processes, training or language skills or all of them. You can expect this in a cheap eatery in Indonesia, but not in Banyan Tree. While we were waiting for our transport we visited the pool bar and ordered fish and chips. This time salad was fresh, but otherwise nothing to mention. Ju-Ma-Na clearly sets a benchmark for the kitchen in Bali and Bambu restaurant offers a good breakfast, but food for in-villa dining or pool bar compared to other hotels in Bali is grossly overpriced and the service overall is not consistent.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LinenBank
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Dear LinenBank

It is with regret I noted the inconveniences you experienced. In our efforts to achieve a level of service whereby guest expectations are being anticipated and met, we have obviously failed on this occasion. Please accept our apologies for these shortcomings

Please allow me to take your comments with all it points and use it as training and learning exercise for our associates to ensure fine tuning is made in the future. We really appreciate your constructive feedbacks and please rest assured that they have been identified to the managers concerned for the necessary rectification.

We are delighted to know that you were happy with the villa design overall.

Once again, apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your time in communicating the comments. It is feedback of this nature that advocates us to continually strive for better service to our valued guests such as you.

Yours sincerely,

Reinhold Johann

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ungasan
Alila Villas Uluwatu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,219 reviews
Bulgari Resort Bali
Bulgari Resort Bali
#2 of 7 in Uluwatu

Been to Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali? Share your experiences!