“Tough to give anything but 5 stars”

Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Ungasan
London, England, United Kingdom
“Tough to give anything but 5 stars”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Visited during our honeymoon in July, and the hotel is pretty amazing.

Like anywhere, there are plus points and minus points, but it is hard to fault the set-up, the approach of the staff and the rooms.

The plot is very big on a slope that goes down to the sea, all based on individual villas of varying sizes. We were in the sea view near the top of the hotel (furthest from the sea) and the room was massive. Everything you could possibly need unless you are a celebrity and have a stupid amount of high maintenance requirements - anyone who criticises the facilities in the room, or the whole hotel for that matter, deserves not to be listened to in my opinion. There is a very nice restaurant right by the sea, Jumana, which provides the sort of food you would get in Michelin starred restaurants and stunning views of the ocean. The other main restaurant, Bambu, is fine with a good range on the menu. The staff were all great, could not fault them throughout the week.

The only negatives were more around the intangibles. When you arrive at the hotel it feels like a big American hotel set up for business, rather than a romantic retreat. And because it is such a big hotel it can be criticised for not feeling intimate.

Overall, had a great time and would try out other Banyans in future.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robk96
Anne_Busfield, General Manager at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Robk96, Thank you very much for your great review on TripAdvisor, we really do appreciate it very much. I was delighted to read that we exceeded all your expectations during your stay including your villa and dining experiences at Ju-Ma-Na & Bambu. I was thrilled to read about the sensational service that our team gave to you. Looking forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Ungasan in the near future. Warm regards, Anne Busfield, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We spent our Family vacation for six days here in July 2014 and had a wonderful time! The Banyan Tree culture is very alife in this place with warm smiles everywhere, great view, good Food and very relaxing athmosphere. All of the Restaurants were good, we especially liked the Balinese buffet that was offered twice per week with very authentic, tasty original Balinese food and dance Performance afterward. The guests are from all over the world which gives the place a very international feeling. The Fitness Center is too small for our taste - modern Equipment but in a very remote place with a view to a construction site on the other side of the hill. There is a beach Access but you have to walk down to it for about 15 minutes. Best of all is the very, very friendly staff and Management!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andre K
Dear Andre K, Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and spend your great time with the family. I was so pleased to read your gracious comments in our facilities, foods & services that our team provided. We look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future. Best regards Anne Busfield, General Manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2014

we stayed recently (july) for a short time only but was amazing. The vila was perfect, everything you needed. We shared a outdoor shower surround by nature. The private pool was beautiful with stunning views.
The staff are so friendly and very welcoming.

Room Tip: private vila :)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aleghellere
Anne_Busfield, General Manager at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Aleghellere, Thank you very much for letting us know your recent stay was ‘Amazing”, what a wonderful description of your experience at Banyan Tree Ungasan. I was absolutely delighted to read your positive comments about our friendly team and that you enjoyed your villa experience so much. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future to experience another fabulous stay at Banyan Tree Ungasan. Warm regards Anne Busfield, General Manager
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night only despite we had booked for 2 nights, but unfortunately we had to leave early. Staff are very polite and do the best to please you.
The Vila was sensational, we didn't want to leave.
Beautiful breakfast by the pool and ocean view. Magnificent scenery.

Stayed July 2014
Dear AleGlobetrotter, Thank you very much for choosing Banyan Tree Ungasan and sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that we exceeded all your expectations during your stay from the sensational villa down to the beautiful breakfast. I was really happy to read that our team made you feel so special during your stay We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future to experience another great time at Banyan Tree Ungasan. Warm regards, Anne Busfield, General Manager
Malang, Indonesia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I would like to say that i have unforgetable moment staying there. I stayed at two bedroom villas. The staffs are very friendly and helpful. I loves my room"s interior . Can" t wait to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lavender v
Anne_Busfield, General Manager at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Lavender V, Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Banyan Tree Ungasan and for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that we exceeded all your expectations during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future to experience another great time at Banyan Tree Ungasan. Warm regards, Anne Busfield, General Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I just wanted to take the time to say a big thank you, my stay here this July for three nights has been just divine. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming - it's hard to beat those huge Balinese smiles!

The villa itself is beautiful, and I wish it was my home! I have had the best two nights sleep in quite some time to be honest, your beds are terrific and the entire villa instantly welcomes you and helps you relax.

The 90 minute Balinese Massage treatment I had at the Banyan Tree Spa yesterday was very relaxing, my therapist Diah gave a beautiful treatment.

The dining experiences have been spectacular. I have really enjoyed everything thoroughly. Dinner at Ju Ma Na was delicious, the wayu beef divine. Your Kaliandra Jungle Honey from at breakfast is the most gorgeous honey I have ever tasted! Your breakfast team at Bambu sent some up to my villa for me in a jug so I will be having that with tea all day here as I enjoy my final day here. The in-villa dining has been extremely tasty also.

This weekend has just been wonderful to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. I have loved every minute of my stay here at Banyan Tree Ungasan, it really is something special!

Room Tip: All the villas are wonderful, but you can never beat an endless sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Anne_Busfield, General Manager at Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear LMM72, Thank you very much for letting us know your recent stay was ‘Absolute Heaven”, what a wonderful description of your experience at Banyan Tree Ungasan. I was absolutely delighted to read your positive comments about our friendly team and that you enjoyed your villa experience so much, how wonderful that you enjoyed such a restful time and sleep. I was so happy to learn that you enjoyed our award winning stunning clifftop Ju-Ma-Na restaurant and our Spa treatment. That’s great that you enjoyed the Kaliandra Jungle Honey so much that we have on our sumptuous breakfast buffet. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future to experience another fabulous stay at Banyan Tree Ungasan. Warm regards Anne Busfield, General Manager
Seoul
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I would have to say that my stay here was fantastic. The staff was very professional, service-minded and kind. I was very impressed with the room's condition. Next time I visit Bali BTU will be my choice.

Room Tip: Only letdown - the gym should be upgraded with more equipment.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Dear Scottfree2014, Thank you very much for choosing Banyan Tree Ungasan and sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor. I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that our team took great care of you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future to experience another great time at Banyan Tree Ungasan. Warm regards, Anne Busfield, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ungasan
Alila Villas Uluwatu
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,220 reviews
Bulgari Resort Bali
Bulgari Resort Bali
#2 of 7 in Uluwatu

Been to Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali? Share your experiences!