“very disapointing”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lagoa
meath
“very disapointing”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

My wife and I spent eleven nights in the hotel 4star??? In our opinion 2 star would be generous 'food. Was unfit for humon consumption, portions very small and crimated .menu over the. 11 nite stay was repetative (fish or beef).<tail of a fish and steak burnt.£17.50 per person, bad value for money.staff poor, no porter, no senior managers to be seen,staff at reception unhelpfull.we could have lived with all mentioned until the forth day we found ants in the bathroom,we repoted this to reception,and asked them also to clean the balcony as it was'nt cleaned since our arrival (ants also on the balcony). On the 9th day w e arrived back to our room @3pm were we were faced with an infestation of ants every were including our clothes, again reported to a cleaner who was local who came in with ant spray. As my wife is an asmatic she couldn't be in the room for a duration of time due to the toxic odour dispersed l.when the cleaner left we discovered our luggage was infested also along with our clothes.went again to reception due to the fact the entire room was crawling.I requested alternative accomadation due to the infestation. The. Receptionist wanted to receive a report firstly from the cleaner/housekeeper before accomdating our request.5minutes later she burst into the room wanting to see the ants(where's all these ants she said).when she seen the ants with her own eyes she agreed to change our room but that would be over an hour till the room is ready.4mintes later we were told a room was free on the third floor.we had no assistance with relocting ,the alternative accomadation presented itself similer to a holding room,no balcony/safe compared with our first room.no follow up by staff to see weather we were comfortable.with only two days left to go we jusr excepted. What was supplied.on our arrival reception informed of a request for a late checkout. On the day of depature at 12pm I carried two large cases to recption and asked the same girl who checked us in at the start cou
d I place my cases in the holding room, the room was jammend which caused difficulty with access.rather than follow down with our other luggage we left it in our room including my coat/wifes mediction/passport and personal belongings.we went for food and went to reception to meet and say godbye to a coach load that were departing, our own checkout time was3.30pm which was confirmed by the same recptionist on a previous nite.at 2.30pm we returned to collect oour belongings to dicover our personal items were moved including my wifes life saving medication, a cleaner who was outside was unable to assist when asked due to lack of english, she phoned a fello houseker and at this time my wife was panicing about her medication.the other housekeeper arrived and informed us the items were removed and place in another room .this was upsetting for all involved. We went to reception onces we retrieved our belongings and again spoke to the same recptionist , sje informed us our checkout time was 12 o clock and we over stayed.this same receptionist informed us originally of a late checkout.this was treated un proffessionally for a four star hotel?????

Room Tip: Stay clear..
Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I'm going to be as honest as I can with this review

Nice looking resort, clean but really small for a resort. The pool was tiny, the sauna was barely warm and the steam room wouldn't pass health and safety as boiling hot steam was sprayed out at your feet. The gym is OK, one all in one gym which was poorly maintained so you couldn't do some of the exercises. The free weights only went up to 14kg. I recall that after an hour or two on the first day we were bored and had to find things outside of the resort.

The staff were nice but they weren't very helpful. Every request was met with a sigh and a confused look. We asked what there was to do in the area and they just referred us to the pamphlets on the side. There are some GORGEOUS places nearish the resort. Feraguda is a lovely little area with lovely restaurants and friendly people but we came across is by chance. Ideally you would need a car at this resort as you are really isolated.

We got the all-inclusive package for this holiday, in reality all wasn't included

You could only get coffees out of the machine and couldn't order the barista style brews from behind the bar. Same with the drinks, you could only have local spirits, beer and wine. I usually drink vodka and the local stuff is disgusting. The beer is nice and wine is nice too so I just stuck to that.

The food in the restaurant is really hit and miss, one day a dish can be lovely, the same dish the next day would not be the same. The service was terrible, I ordered a vodka and coke with my dinner, the waiter took my order then after 20 minutes he returned to take the food order. I said I had ordered a vodka and coke that didn't arrive to which he replied "I know". I didn't know how to respond!! The drink eventually came but with the food so probably 40 minutes after I ordered it. I thin thought id order drinks from the bar but they were so under staffed that the one guy was running around like a maniac trying to sort everyone on the tables out so this didn't help.
Weirdly, the biggest thing was that there was no entertainment in the evenings – not even a DJ. This meant that the majority of people were much going to their room after dinner and I heard a lot of moaning. Some even saying that they couldn't wait to get back home

We were told this place was 5*, it definitely wasn't - in my opinion it just scraped a 4.

All in all the surrounding area is lovely but I wouldn't go back to the hotel.

Room Tip: I'm sorry to say - don't pick this hotel. You're too isolated and its pretty boring
1 Thank fatbij
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

What a mixed set of reviews this hotel has. We booked a two night, room only break at an amazingly low price. We had our own car so getting around wasn't a problem for us. The outside pool was perfect for our mid-May temperature of 30 degrees. We didn't use the restaurant as ones in town were very reasonable and kitchen in our room was very comprehensive. We had a junior suite between 3. We split the double bed into two singles and the sofa bed in the lounge was very comfortable. Each room had a large screen tv. Two bathrooms, one with shower the other with bath and shower head. Fantastic value and a memorable first visit to the Algarve. Ok, when the tide is out the river bank does give a slight smell, but in May this was not a problem, even at 30 degrees. In the heat of summer this might get worse, I can't say. Yes, the outside finish of the hotel block is unusual, but our room was excellent inside. - So, accept that : only the rooms are 4* the rest of the hotel is 3*, It is not in the centre of town or near the beach, the restaurant and bar appear very limited and . . it is next to a river that may at some times of the year give a smell. We had a great short break and will go back again.

Room Tip: Junior suites are spacious and have a comprehensive kitchen.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marmite-13
Johnstone, United Kingdom

May 2013
This is a nice hotel but with a number of annoying little things that
a) stop it from being great
b) stop it from being 4 star +
C) can spoil a relaxing holiday

So lets start with the location.
It's not in Portomao as advertised it's in Quinta do Parchal, a 5 euro taxi fare from the hotel to the town. Can you get a bus? We don't know and neither does reception. Is there a courtesy bus to the beach? – No. Is there a courtesy boat across the river as advertised? – No. However, you can hire bikes from reception. They have four and two electric bikes. Push bikes are 10 euro per day so for two of us for 6 days that would have been 120 euro. We did not ask the price of the electric bikes. You can hire a car and this can be arranged at reception who will contact the hire company for you and whilst there we did hire a small car for four days for the price of three days and with full comprehensive insurance it cost 114 euro.
This does give a better opportunity to see the area and if you want to eat out. See review for Rouxinol restaurant near Moncheque - fanastic !!
Now the Hotel - accommodation
The room we had was clean and cleaned every day. Fresh towels, modern and a very large toilet/shower room. We looked out onto the middle grassed area and it was fine. I did get to see an apartment room and again, very impressive with a separate lounge and kitchen area. We don't sit in the room so ours was ok for us. However a table in the room or on the veranda would have been welcome and was missed when we did sit down as there was no place to put anything other than on the floor.
There is no lounge area to speak of except a small area at the reception. This is at the opposite end of the hotel to the restaurant and as such, not an area where you would go as there is no coffee / tea here and no bar. So after eating, the only place to sit is at a table just outside the bar. There was only 5 tables here X 4 = room for 20 to sit. You can sit inside in an area to the side of the bar but not if people are eating here and not if they are having a football team staying. This is also the smoking area outside.
Restaurant:
Excellent, the food was lovely and a menu from Sunday to Thursday with waiter service for the evening meal and for the snack menu at lunch. Buffet menu Friday and Saturday and no complaints everything fresh and warm. Plenty to choose from but a week would be long enough as it did not change while we were there. We were all Inclusive and the wine was ok and the local alcohol (lager Gin and Brandy) ok
The waiters, each and every one, are brilliant and cannot do enough to help and make your meal enjoyable. Well done to you all.

4 Thank Thomas M
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013

It is the first holiday I have been on where I wanted to come home, it was that bad. The food was awful from the very first night. It got to the stage where we had to eat out or buy food ourselves it was that bad. The menu was very limited and was the same all week and as there was no facilities to sit anywhere after your meal, then you really didn't feel like you could get a drink. On the rare occasions that I asked for a drink every time I asked for something, the waiter looked very sternly at me and then said you cannot have that. We were made to feel very uncomfortable whenever we asked for anything. We were not told what we could eat and what we couldn't and it was only when we asked on the 3rd night and were told that the menu, the same every night, was the only thing we could choose. The breakfast was the only time where you could get a good selection. However the scrambled eggs served every day were sweet so I couldn't eat them. The bacon was horrible and the sausage balls were like frankfurters. The coffee was also odd tasting and was sweet. As I am diabetic, I was unable to have any of it, just in case.

When we arrived at the hotel we had to wait while they found our room. We were asked did we want to eat and as our flight had been delayed and then we had not eaten since 10.a.m. that morning then we said yes please. This was now 9.30.p.m. We went to the restaurant and didn't know what we were allowed to eat but were given a menu. We ordered and my food came which was grilled sea bass with vegetables. The sea bass was very very over cooked and did not taste fresh and the vegetables including potatoes were tasteless and over boiled and mushy. The whole meal had olive oil poured all over it. I left it and no-one asked was the meal alright. The waiter came to clear the table and said did I not like the food. I told him the problems and he looked at me, didn't say sorry and said we do not season our vegetables. There was no salt and pepper on the table and it was only when my husband walked around the restaurant that he found salt and pepper sachets. The waiter said if you wanted salt and pepper there are sachets. I said I have never been in a restaurant where they don't season anything and also with no salt and pepper on the table. At no time were we offered any salt and pepper and I was not offered an apology or an alternative.

We went back to reception. We were then told incorrectly that we were to go to a room with only one bed room when we had booked a 2 bed roomed suite. This was clearly stated on the paperwork we gave them on check in. I said that we had booked a suite and they apologised and then we had to wait 15 minutes while they looked all over for the paperwork.
We finally got to the room about 11.p.m. and there was no water to drink and nothing to make a cup of coffee i.e. milk.
I asked the reception the next day if we could have some water as we didn't have any and as I am diabetic I need to take tablets before I go to bed, plus I always drink water anyway. I was told that I could go and buy some if I wanted water. When I said that as we had already paid for all inclusive I didn't think I would have to pay anything then she said if you want you can walk to the restaurant late at night and ask for a water. I was not happy. I asked the next day for a bottle of water and some milk to make a drink and the waiter - the same man that shouted at me later - said he was not happy about giving me some water and milk.

We asked for the promised cocktail of the day on the first day and the drink we were given was not a cocktail but tasted like lemonade and paint stripper. I asked for a milkshake for my son and was told in a loud voice - you will have to pay if you want a milk shake. As it was my sons birthday I just said ok even though people on the other tables were all looking at us I felt totally humiliated and certainly during our time there we were not treated like guests. We started to dread going down for dinner as every night the food was awful, either bland, one night my steak was raw inside but no one asked until the end of the meal was it ok and then it was too late.
The only meal we had that was ok we had to wait 40 minutes for and when it came it was the size of a saucer. I asked if the waiter could recommend one of the desserts that was the same all holiday. I was recommended the orange pie. It came and it was 3 slivers of a miniature swiss roll the size of a mini roll but so see through like tissue paper with a bit of orange juice on top. I left it as it was awful.

On our last afternoon we decided to ask if we could have a snack as we were leaving later that day. The waiter then came out and started shouting at us and this was witnessed by the bar man, who was shaking his head in disgust at the way the waiter was talking to me and my son and he said to us he thinks he is the boss but he is not. He was an older man overweight and very rude. He said do you realise what time it is?? This was after I had asked politely would it be ok to order a snack and if not not to worry we weren't sure of the times. He started ranting saying this is the only time I am going to do this and do you realise that the kitchen had closed. This was at 14:35. I said I am sorry and it didn't matter but he kept shouting and I am embarrassed to admit but I got upset. I had my sunglasses on so he couldn't see but because my son was there I just kept quiet so he could get something to eat before we went home. The bar man was very embarrassed at the way we had both been treated. I also said we are going home soon so there won't be another time but I was totally humiliated.

It was the most horrible hotel I have ever stayed at and at 44 years of age I am not some bit of a kid who gets easily upset. I truly feel that this hotel should not be classed as a 4 star and certainly does not know the meaning of All Inclusive. We barely had more than 2 drinks a day because they were totally inhospitable.
This was the last family holiday together as my son is emigrating to Australia and we had told the hotel in advance and it was on the form that it was his birthday while we were there. Nothing at all was even mentioned even though it was on the form.
I would like you to know how bad it was as I would hate other people to go thinking that it is lovely, like the description of it says when its awful. The smell of the river is awful, the location in a really run down area and the hotel staff especially on reception and the restaurant have no idea of good customer service or even how to treat a customer.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank Shabob1
Essex
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We arrived to the worse smell you have ever smelt from the lakes as we arrived in the smallest reception ever we eventually got the keys to our room which when we got in there was a joke no table or chairs and if you wanted to sit anywhere it had to be the bed room was small and we overlooked the carpark as we went to dinner food was cold and could have done a better job myself after we decided to have a drink to be told the restaurant was the bar we had booked half board so when we were told it was 14 euros for two vodkas nearly passed out there is absolutely nothing to do you have to get taxis every where or drive some of the staff are rude especially the bloke on reception with the hair who loves himself feel like ive wasted a weeks holiday now and was glad to get back which is the first time i have ever said that if you have kids they will be as bored as the adults would i go back never again not even if you paid me .

Room Tip: over looking lighthouse
6 Thank EssexTrevor555
Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed 12 May 2013

My wife and I have just arrived home from a week on bed and breakfast basis booked through a tour operator. The hotel is located in a residential area about a 30 minute walk from Portimao, which obviously may suit some people. I would like it to have been located closer to a selection of bars, cafes and restaurants. I was told that the taxi fare to Portimao would be between €5 and €6, but the first taxi we got charged us €8+. I noticed in the taxi that there was a notice stating that as the taxi had more than four seats the fare would be higher. The next time I called a taxi, I asked that a standard taxi be sent for us but, again, a larger taxi arrived and charged us €9.80 to go to Praia do Rocha. I mentioned this to the receptionist the next day and suggested that the hotel might insist on standard taxis being supplied for groups of up to four. Her attitude was that she was providing a free service to me in calling the taxi and that, if I was not happy, she would give me the number and I could call myself. I asked to speak to the manager and he was of the same view - so much for the customer being right! He said that he was unaware of the different rates, which seemed strange to me as it took me just 24 hours to figure it out! He did not seem to appreciate that he was engaging a taxi company that was exploiting his guests and that the hotel had a responsibility to its guests. I told him that the money was not the issue, but the principle that tourists should not be taken advantage of, however subtle. The fare back from town from a taxi on the rank was about €6. I hired a car for four days for €54 and left no more money with either the hotel or the taxi company! That off my chest, the hotel was very clean and the breakfast was good. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful. The views of the river are very nice and I would recommend the boat trip from Portimao to Silves for €15 that is an afternoon well spent! I found a great bar and restaurant in Parchal, about 500 m away. WiFi is fairly limited in the hotel and the internet desk at €1 for 15 minutes did not appear to work. The hotel's attitude was that it was operated by a third party and not its problem. Our air-con did not work, but I did not report that. The hotel was advertised on the tour operator's website a a 5 star, but it is actually a 4 star and that is obviously not the hotel's fault. I would have expected better customer service from the management of a 4 star. All-in-all, we had a great holiday, but the hotel was a disappointment.

Room Tip: Look for a room either overlooking the river or the garden/pool area.
4 Thank Paddy D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoa
Hotel da Rocha
Tivoli Marina Portimao
Tivoli Marina Portimao
#7 of 75 in Portimao
Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de Pera

Been to Agua Hotels Riverside? Share your experiences!