“Sami-B”

Agua Hotels Riverside
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lagoa
“Sami-B”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This was a rather interesting place to stay as it was a fair distance away from the airport. It was a nice clean hotel with very helpful staff. I had hung my swimming shorts out on the balcony and a gush of wind had blown them away and but they managed to retrieve them and give them back to me. Portamao town is down the road but is a really dead town, it's a hotel perfect to just relax and unwind and forget the rest of the world. No noise just pure calm and peace surrounds you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sami V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed here at at the end of May 2014 for 7 nights.

I was pleased with the room which was light and airy and clean but, as others have mentioned, the lighting in the room made it difficult to see. One morning I was woken up by the sound of laughter. I opened my eyes to see two cleaners stood at the door laughing at me. When I asked why they were laughing they slammed the door to a close.

Breakfast was not big on variety or quality. Thank God for scrambled eggs but, as others have mentioned, if you are vegetarian or you do not eat bacon, then you are at a huge loss as you are not catered to at all.

During lunch hours when I sat at a table no one came to take my order. The onus was on me to go to the bar and make my order (this was my experience and it became extremely tiresome).

The food in the evening was overpriced and not very satisfying but, for the price, to be expected. I discovered a fish restaurant across the Rio Arade (Casa Bico) that serves better quality food for lower prices. The fish there was exquisite and the service was delightful. I would recommend exploring the local area to eat.

There was a female at the reception who I found incredibly rude. I wish I had her name to post here. The simple act of asking her for something led to sluggish posture and a sigh. There were often long queues while she spoke on the phone and greeted guests odiously.

I would not stay here if you are a single male. As I am and as I did. People are far too suspicious of men travelling solo and, sadly, it made it difficult to interact with people (Brits mostly) who spent a great deal of time making comments under their breath and giving questioning looks when I walked by. I'm quite introverted and would sit and watch the sea for hours and could just feel their eyes burning into my back. That part of my stay is the most horrid part to report. I urge all travellers to be open-minded. You never know who's inside that shell. Men also grabbed their women which I found hilarious being homosexual.

The local people were Parchal's salvation. Taxi drivers were delightful and conversational without being garrulous and talkative. I walked a lot also. It's lovely by the marina with all the boats, blazing sun and fishermen.

I wouldn't stay here again. I suspect people's suspicions arose because I am a black male. Sad but true.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank S0l0_Flyer
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

me and ny boyfriend stayed in this hotel for 7 days, first time we had ever traveled abroad without the parents! We got upgraded to a bigger room with a kitchen on arrival, the view is loverly from the pool across the river. The only complaint about the room we had was the tv the fact their wasnt english channels because we didnt want to sit in the bar all evening. We was all inclusive, breakfast was delicious with various meats to choose from; sausages, bacon, scrambeled eggs, mushrooms and beans. Cold meats and cheese, yogarts, cereal and fruit. along with tea coffee hot chocolates and fresh fruit juice! The lunch menu had pizzas, burgers and salads along with starters and desserts. The drinks were delicious although selective. We used the sauna and the steam room - these were also good! Along with the gym which we used before hand. We paid for romance by the river and had a fab massage with wine. We got a taxi to the aqua shopping centre for 6 euros and paid 13 euros to carvairo. The maids cleaned the room every day the only thing we had issues with is the evening meal because the all inclusive menu had 2 starters 2 mains and 2 desserts and we are fussy eaters, they cater to what you dislike and will change it although we had one waiter who was rude and wouldnt let us have the other menu. Other than this it was such a good break away for the money! Couldnt have had a better week, pieceful just what we wanted! Would stay again but probably half board.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank chelseadullar
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel has a great location for travelers with car that want to explore the region and the beaches nearby. The pool are is very lovely but very windy. The hotel staff is very polite and helpful. They did us a upgrade to a junior suite, what was nice. The room had a huge balcony with a wonderful view....we've stayed in room 226A, if u can, choose this one! The breakfast is ok but not great...they don't have natural fruit juice, what is a shame, since the oranges from algarve are very sweet. Overall, it was a nice stay and i would return and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Chose suite 226A
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank XanaIgreja
redditch UK
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for a week at the end of May/June, on a bed and breakfast basis.We were given an excellent and large bedroom on the first floor overlooking the river and grassland.The hotel was minimalist and extremely clean. The bed was extra large which we loved and the bathroom was modern and well appointed with a fantastic shower which was big enough for 3! The only snag we found was that the lighting was so dim in the bathroom and the bedroom, that I had to complete my make up in the car. The fridge in the room was really useful as we used to keep food in there for our snack meals and drinks.
The breakfasts were quite samey but we thought the evening dinner rather expensive for what we saw on the menu and preferred to eat at restaurants locally.
The infinity pool looked clean and inviting but the water was very cold. There were plenty of sunbeds to go round everyone so no need for anyone to save one. We hired a car for the whole week and appreciated that there was plenty of parking. The Internet was quite expensive in the reception at a euro for 15 minutes and not very reliable which was difficult for us as we experienced serious family problems abroad while we were staying there and needed to keep in touch.
There were mostly younger couples staying at the hotel and we are pensioners but it was very quiet and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Imatravellinggranny
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Visited this hotel with my boyfriend for a 3 nights late May and had a brilliant time! No idea what people are talking about with this "smell" as I didn't smell a thing and we had a room right next to the river, the staff ARE friendly and the cleaners made a lovely effort to speak English (I tried to speak Portuguese but that didn't quite work well lol)

We were all inclusive and was so happy to be! Breakfast was an average buffet but yummy and filling and as the hotel was very quiet lunch and dinner was waited service and there was a choice of so many things (had a three course meal for lunch!) and the alcohol servings are huge! lol

One thing I would have liked would be room service to be free, the food is but to have it delivered to your room costs 7 euros per time! However the reception and restaurant aren't far so we ran to get things in our slippers lol

We are 20 so would have liked more nightlife in the local area but it is so easy to catch a taxi to Praia De Rocha which is not far and unlike some reviewers stated the taxis are cheap! Much cheaper than the UK if you ask me.

Would recommend shopping in Portimao shopping centre, the big waterpark called ZooMarine which caters for adults and children (has a beach, many rides, a zoo and lots of shows) , nights out in Praia De Rocha and going to see the dolphins!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river...beautiful to wake up to!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luv_lyfe93
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Myself and my mother stayed in this hotel from the 2-7th June, were aged 40 and 64yrs!
We arrived later than expected due to a 2 hour delay. Upon arrival the receptionist ignored us whilst on the telephone for 10 minutes with no awknowledgement were we there, along with the two couples behind us!! She then proceeded to ask us "yes" once finished her call??

We wanted a relaxing 5 day break and this is what we got, however the location is isolated and there was no night entertainment which made the evenings extremely boring. The option to go out to the Town was always there, however we had paid for all inclusive and didnt feel we should have to pay for taxis, drink and to be entertained!!

The breakfast was basic but pleasent, lunch was chosen form a menu and we enjoyed it! However the evening meal was presented by choice of two A La Carte starter, main and dessert? Please avoid this hotel if you are vegetarian!!! We did ask on a few occasions for the evening meal other menu choice, this was given reluctantly!!! Overall the food was average :(

The saving grace of this hotel are the rooms and the cleanliness! The rooms are modern and very clean, the resort is also spotless!

Overall we would describe this hotel as a Travel lodge feel, without the infinty pool and sun shining we would have been very let down.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank HoneymoonL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoa
Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de Pera
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,292 reviews
Clube Humbria
Clube Humbria
#1 of 8 in Olhos de Agua

Been to Agua Hotels Riverside? Share your experiences!