“Amazing views” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lagoa
west yorks
“Amazing views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights middle June, did not want to leave. location overlooking a big river with gorgeous sunsets, views over river especially at night sat with drink just lovely. rooms large, very modern and clean, staff very polite and helpful, yes their English is not the best! but why should it be, we should make a little effort. Obrigado and a smile from us goes a long way. whilst we were there, it changed from waiter service to buffet, which I prefer being a fussy eater! always lots of choice. We went all inclusive, which I recommend as there is very little in the area for restaurants. the hotel is quite remote, ideally you need a car to get around (car hire very cheap in Portugal if booked online before you go, recommend economy car hire, used them twice) only 5 min walk to nearest shop/local eating place, otherwise 30 min walk to nearest village, Ferraguda, which is lovely, otherwise it's a taxi to any beaches or over the river to Portimao. Hotel trying to arrange a river taxi, otherwise go over the bridge, left to small marina and look for Silves river taxi, they will pick you up from jetty belonging to hotel and take you up river to Silves, well worth the trip, 20 euros, trip lasts approx 3 hours, the they drop you back, easy. lovely little infinity pool, again overlooking river plus indoor small pool & gym, jacuzzi. we asked emailed and asked for river view. will go back for longer next time. P.s. Very generous with drinks on A1

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sharonWestYorks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This was a rather interesting place to stay as it was a fair distance away from the airport. It was a nice clean hotel with very helpful staff. I had hung my swimming shorts out on the balcony and a gush of wind had blown them away and but they managed to retrieve them and give them back to me. Portamao town is down the road but is a really dead town, it's a hotel perfect to just relax and unwind and forget the rest of the world. No noise just pure calm and peace surrounds you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sami V
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed here at at the end of May 2014 for 7 nights.

I was pleased with the room which was light and airy and clean but, as others have mentioned, the lighting in the room made it difficult to see. One morning I was woken up by the sound of laughter. I opened my eyes to see two cleaners stood at the door laughing at me. When I asked why they were laughing they slammed the door to a close.

Breakfast was not big on variety or quality. Thank God for scrambled eggs but, as others have mentioned, if you are vegetarian or you do not eat bacon, then you are at a huge loss as you are not catered to at all.

During lunch hours when I sat at a table no one came to take my order. The onus was on me to go to the bar and make my order (this was my experience and it became extremely tiresome).

The food in the evening was overpriced and not very satisfying but, for the price, to be expected. I discovered a fish restaurant across the Rio Arade (Casa Bico) that serves better quality food for lower prices. The fish there was exquisite and the service was delightful. I would recommend exploring the local area to eat.

There was a female at the reception who I found incredibly rude. I wish I had her name to post here. The simple act of asking her for something led to sluggish posture and a sigh. There were often long queues while she spoke on the phone and greeted guests odiously.

I would not stay here if you are a single male. As I am and as I did. People are far too suspicious of men travelling solo and, sadly, it made it difficult to interact with people (Brits mostly) who spent a great deal of time making comments under their breath and giving questioning looks when I walked by. I'm quite introverted and would sit and watch the sea for hours and could just feel their eyes burning into my back. That part of my stay is the most horrid part to report. I urge all travellers to be open-minded. You never know who's inside that shell. Men also grabbed their women which I found hilarious being homosexual.

The local people were Parchal's salvation. Taxi drivers were delightful and conversational without being garrulous and talkative. I walked a lot also. It's lovely by the marina with all the boats, blazing sun and fishermen.

I wouldn't stay here again. I suspect people's suspicions arose because I am a black male. Sad but true.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank S0l0_Flyer
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

me and ny boyfriend stayed in this hotel for 7 days, first time we had ever traveled abroad without the parents! We got upgraded to a bigger room with a kitchen on arrival, the view is loverly from the pool across the river. The only complaint about the room we had was the tv the fact their wasnt english channels because we didnt want to sit in the bar all evening. We was all inclusive, breakfast was delicious with various meats to choose from; sausages, bacon, scrambeled eggs, mushrooms and beans. Cold meats and cheese, yogarts, cereal and fruit. along with tea coffee hot chocolates and fresh fruit juice! The lunch menu had pizzas, burgers and salads along with starters and desserts. The drinks were delicious although selective. We used the sauna and the steam room - these were also good! Along with the gym which we used before hand. We paid for romance by the river and had a fab massage with wine. We got a taxi to the aqua shopping centre for 6 euros and paid 13 euros to carvairo. The maids cleaned the room every day the only thing we had issues with is the evening meal because the all inclusive menu had 2 starters 2 mains and 2 desserts and we are fussy eaters, they cater to what you dislike and will change it although we had one waiter who was rude and wouldnt let us have the other menu. Other than this it was such a good break away for the money! Couldnt have had a better week, pieceful just what we wanted! Would stay again but probably half board.

• Stayed June 2014
      Cleanliness
5 Thank chelseadullar
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel has a great location for travelers with car that want to explore the region and the beaches nearby. The pool are is very lovely but very windy. The hotel staff is very polite and helpful. They did us a upgrade to a junior suite, what was nice. The room had a huge balcony with a wonderful view....we've stayed in room 226A, if u can, choose this one! The breakfast is ok but not great...they don't have natural fruit juice, what is a shame, since the oranges from algarve are very sweet. Overall, it was a nice stay and i would return and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Chose suite 226A
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
3 Thank XanaIgreja
redditch UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for a week at the end of May/June, on a bed and breakfast basis.We were given an excellent and large bedroom on the first floor overlooking the river and grassland.The hotel was minimalist and extremely clean. The bed was extra large which we loved and the bathroom was modern and well appointed with a fantastic shower which was big enough for 3! The only snag we found was that the lighting was so dim in the bathroom and the bedroom, that I had to complete my make up in the car. The fridge in the room was really useful as we used to keep food in there for our snack meals and drinks.
The breakfasts were quite samey but we thought the evening dinner rather expensive for what we saw on the menu and preferred to eat at restaurants locally.
The infinity pool looked clean and inviting but the water was very cold. There were plenty of sunbeds to go round everyone so no need for anyone to save one. We hired a car for the whole week and appreciated that there was plenty of parking. The Internet was quite expensive in the reception at a euro for 15 minutes and not very reliable which was difficult for us as we experienced serious family problems abroad while we were staying there and needed to keep in touch.
There were mostly younger couples staying at the hotel and we are pensioners but it was very quiet and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Imatravellinggranny
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Visited this hotel with my boyfriend for a 3 nights late May and had a brilliant time! No idea what people are talking about with this "smell" as I didn't smell a thing and we had a room right next to the river, the staff ARE friendly and the cleaners made a lovely effort to speak English (I tried to speak Portuguese but that didn't quite work well lol)

We were all inclusive and was so happy to be! Breakfast was an average buffet but yummy and filling and as the hotel was very quiet lunch and dinner was waited service and there was a choice of so many things (had a three course meal for lunch!) and the alcohol servings are huge! lol

One thing I would have liked would be room service to be free, the food is but to have it delivered to your room costs 7 euros per time! However the reception and restaurant aren't far so we ran to get things in our slippers lol

We are 20 so would have liked more nightlife in the local area but it is so easy to catch a taxi to Praia De Rocha which is not far and unlike some reviewers stated the taxis are cheap! Much cheaper than the UK if you ask me.

Would recommend shopping in Portimao shopping centre, the big waterpark called ZooMarine which caters for adults and children (has a beach, many rides, a zoo and lots of shows) , nights out in Praia De Rocha and going to see the dolphins!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the river...beautiful to wake up to!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank luv_lyfe93
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoa
Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de Pera
Holiday Inn Algarve - Armacao de...
#1 of 10 in Armacao de Pera
#23 of 49 in Quarteira
Hotel da Rocha
Hotel da Rocha
#3 of 20 in Praia da Rocha

Been to Agua Hotels Riverside? Share your experiences!