Agua Hotels Riverside
Lagoa Hotel(Lagoa)(Great Value!)
US$55
Colina da Lapa Resort(Lagoa)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$80
  • Pool
Vale d'El Rei Hotel & Villas(Lagoa)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$95
Quinta dos Oliveiras(Carvoeiro)(Great Value!)
US$67
Priceline
Pestana Golf Resort Gramacho(Carvoeiro)(Great Value!)
US$172
US$161
Vale da Lapa Resort & SPA(Carvoeiro)(Great Value!)
US$116
TripAdvisor
Carvoeiro Hotel(Carvoeiro)
Hotels.com
1,110 results
All reviewsthe riverjunior suiteminute walkindoor poolbeansbad smellmodern hotelout of the waya la cartefishing villagebed and breakfastreception staffsteam roomtaxi fareread the reviewsnight liferelaxing break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The hotel is an hour's walk to the beach, clean but smells bad. It's more like a travel lodge rather than a 4 stars hotel. there's no kettle, tea bags or hair dryer in the room(you can get them by pay a deposit at the reception), With the river being quite smelly, we never went to the balcony once. The spa and gym facilities are decent, the canteen is ok but not 4 star level. The Staff were helpful in the main. I normally find positive things to stay about hotels and they were some however this place has never seen 4 star! it just about scrapes a 3 if it's lucky.
The Location has Portimao as it's nearest decent sized city/town however its very much on the outskirts.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vik v
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My family and I travelled here in august 2014 ,I was worried after reading some negative reviews,but I can honestly say we had a great time.the hotel is very clean one of the best rooms I have stayed in. The food was very good to ,breakfast and evening meal was buffet, with plenty of choices and at dinner time you had table service by some very friendly staff,the menu for the this was a little limited but I tried most of the options and was never disappointed . The all inclusive drinks were very good too. The hotel has a spa area with steam room ,sauna jacuzzi and pool there is also a Gym all free .as was the safe in your room. The hotel is situated on a river which is tidal ,it's about a 25 minute walk to porta Maos waterfront or about 5 euros in a cab .the is also a big shopping centre which my wife and daughters loved .another good day out was a place called Lagos it's about 25 minutes on the train , well worth a visit shops beaches ect. We went to silves on the train too but it's a good 20 minute walk to the town,and it's castle.
The station is about 5 mins from the hotel. We done a boat trip around and in the sea caves with a guy called pedro I gave his card to reception. My only gripe would be that there is not a lot going on in the evenings entertainment wise . But I wouldn't let this put you off .

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank gary w
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely and clean, helpfull staff nice pool area with plenty of beds, could do with some entertainment and a less formal bar away from the restaurant, river only smells at certain times and not really that noticeable. All in all a nice stay. By the way if you buy a travel router(about £10 from amazon) you can have wifi in your room.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Kev B
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We arrived at the hotel quite late at night, around 10pm. Driving up we smelt the much mentioned river smell. We found it hilarious and it didn't seem to bother us too much. Once in our hotel room, we didn't even smell it. We were starving and nowhere was open for a sit down meal. However, after entering our hotel room we found a delightful surprise - a room service menu. So we ordered room service whilst watching TV (there is several channels 1, 2 and 3 that screen english movies constantly). We then fell asleep in our very large and comfortable double bed. When we woke up, the river smell was no longer there, so we got dressed and made our way to the restaurant for breakfast. Breakfast was a buffet style - always satisfactory. Lunch was also delicious with a wide choice of lunch snacks. Dinner was buffet style too, which although I can understand why those in all inclusive would get tiresome of the food, for one night only it was very enjoyable. There is wifi available in the restaurant area, the poolside area and the reception area. This was useful in finding things to do and keeping in contact with the "real world". However, we did wish that the wifi was available in the rooms too. I mean, it is available if you have a laptop but not for phones. The hotel service was great. Everybody was so helpful (always ringing us taxi's and suggesting things for us to do.) Many of the reviews on here mention that the location was poor. We didn't find this at all. Taxi's are always available (the nearest "big" town Ferragudo was 5 euros). This same big town was also very walkable, we did it a few times. Ferragudo was a pleasant little town with a couple of restaurants, a beach, and a couple of touristy shops. A typical portugal village. The pool was also very nice, although it was peak season it was never over-crowed. The pool water was cold, but once you are in it is very refreshing! All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel, and it's location! We only went for 5 days, and we wished we had stayed longer.

Room Tip: We had room 108B which was on the bottom floor, nearest to the reception area. Wasn't noisy despite location. Is an easy room to have if you are in and out constantly.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Sian P
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Prior to our trip to Agua Hotels Riverside, we had read very mixed reviews about what to expect. We arrived quite early and were given the option of lunch on either the first or last day, and told our rooms would be ready between 2pm-3pm. This worked out really well for us as we would have left long before lunch time on our last day.
The rooms were spacious, comfortable and clean. My only teeny request would be more mirrors (but then maybe I'm too vain!!)
Food was very good at the hotel, it's possible to say that it's a slightly more limited selection compared to some other hotels, however it would be very difficult to go hungry. Breakfast and Dinner are served buffet style, whereas lunch is chosen from a menu and with a waited service.
The staff were very helpful and friendly and were very accommodating. There were nine of us and they would always make sure there was our regular table set up for all of us and bring in our usual drinks.
Something I really loved about this hotel was that you never had to go through the task of waking up early to secure a sunbed, we were able to go out for the morning, come back and find plenty of sunbeds - and there were nine of us!
The pool was clean and well kept, maybe a little on the cooler side BUT I definitely prefer that as it's tricky to cool off in a heated pool.
There was very little entertainment as there was only one woman doing the duty however what she did do was good and enjoyable.
A very good factor about this hotel is that a lot of the amenities that cost extra in other hotels were all available for free. For example, there was use of the gym, spa (with Hot Tub, Sauna, Steam Room and another Pool) and Wifi with no extra charge. (you do have to pay for massages etc.) I will mention that swimming hats have to be worn in certain areas of the spa, which are available at a price from reception so maybe try to bring them from home if you're interested.
The actual hotel is fairly remote but there are a few shops within walking distance and the train station too. We also went surfing whilst staying here at Future Surf School, and we went on a boat ride - both of which were able to pick us up at the hotel.
We managed to visit plenty of local towns and find enough to keep us occupied and like we had seen some of Portugal.
The river is a little smelly at times but I was informed that it isn't sewage or anything gross and its just the winds blowing in the smell of sulfur from the seaweed (particularly at low tide).
I really strongly believe that you get out what you put in, so if you're willing to hop on a train or in a taxi or a boat to go exploring then you will see that there are so many parts close to the hotel that are worth seeing. And if you want to stay in the hotel of an evening, get involved with the activities or take a pack of cards or some quizzes to keep you occupied.
I really did enjoy my holiday and I sincerely hope that you enjoy your stay at the Agua Hotels Riverside too, if you decide to give it a visit!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family