“Great base to explore :)”
Review of Colina da Lapa

Colina da Lapa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Lagoa
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The colina da lapa has lovely clean well equipped apartments, it is set in lovely grounds. It is a little out of the way of everything but that is what we loved about it!!! I would say hire a car if at all possible as this will allow you to take full advantage of the surrounding areas. There are many beautiful beaches within a few minutes drive, during our weeks stay we visited at least 6. I would also recommend visiting carvoeiro town, it is lovely but you will definitely need a car or use the taxi service as it is a good 10 minute drive, but it is definitely worth it. It has a great atmosphere at night, lots of restaurants bars and shops. Bistro 72 does a fantastic breakfast. Back to the Colina.. during our one week stay our sheets and towels were changed every day bar one day which was a saturday, the cleanliness of this place was fantastic even in communal areas. The staff are lovely and friendly, you are made to feel very welcome. We ate in the restaurant on several occasions and although a little pricey the quality was excellent couldn't fault it. Great chef!!! The mattresses are a little firm and could probably do with replacing but not a particularly major problem. If you don't mind being a little out of the way or having to use a car or taxi's then i would definitely say give the colina da lapa a go, you wont regret it!!! We had one of the best holidays we have had here. Thanks to all the staff at the colina :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vikk111
ColinaHotels, General Manager at Colina da Lapa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Many than for your review here in Trip Advisor

A you know all reviews are important for us to terminate the negative ones and change to the positives and keept and continue with the good service and with quality.

In my name and name of all my staff a big thaks for yoiur kindly words and we hope to see you again and very soon

Reviewed 15 September 2013

First to be fair the villa we stayed in was lovely . It was well appointed even with a washer, spacious and immaculate . The grounds and public areas were equally well kept with plenty of greenery

For those with a car or young family ideal

However ... The site was huge and very hilly and as I was with my mother was essentially trapped in the room as she couldn't manage the hills

The site had a shop but it looked like rationing had set in with one or two of each item on the shelf at prices 4-5 times in the local shop. When I say local it was a one hour round trip for myself so again not great for less mobile

The pool bar was clean and efficient however having to pay 3 euro for half a pint in a plastic glass compared to the 3 euro they charged for a proper large beer sat at the tables .. Needless to say didn't buy many

One other point which wasn't advertised is it was a no smoking in apartment ,on balcony or in public areas .. This for me was a plus point but for my mother who does smoke was a nightmare

The weather was great up to the day of check out and with a 1915 pick up we had to be out if room by 1100 and couldn't extend. The day it poured down and as such we were confined to the tiny reception area for the day with no food or refreshments as my mother couldn't manage the hills to the pool bar

The hotel does provide free taxi to the local beach and local town which I took advantage of but in general I'd say you need a car to stay here as there's nothing around the site for some distance

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Tracey N

Many than for your review here in Trip Advisor

I would like to sugest to all our guest to looking reception staff to the team introduce well the área and the resort

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Travelled here for 5 nights on 8th September 2013, with my partner and our 7 month old son. We were looking for a quiet holiday and this is exactly what we got. We initially booked a one bed apartment but was upgraded to a two bed villa, which was lovely. One the first day we came out of the grounds and started walking right, hoping to find a supermarket or shop. We walked for around three mile and there was basically nothing but a grotty beach. If you walk left you come to a lovely pizzeria, a small but well stocked shop and further on another restaurant and a gift shop. Most days we stayed around the pool, which is lovely. The restaurant in the day served an excellent english breakfast, pizzas, burgers and amazing omelettes. At night it was a lovely atmosphere, excellent staff, amazing food and reasonably all priced. I would suggest to try the Prawns Starter and Fillet Steak main. Delicious!!!

Would definitely book again but would probably hire a car. And would make sure to book a villa, it was amazing. The one negative thing i have to say is that there was lots of ants around the bath but they can easily be squished lol.

Room Tip: Book a villa
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 123KWC2013

Many than for your review here in Trip Advisor

A you know all reviews are important for us to terminate the negative ones and change to the positives and keept and continue with the good servisse and with quality.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Okay, was hard to find as sat-nav has issues (please jot down the gps co-ordinates to make your life a bit easier should you ave issues:

GPS: N 37º 6' 41.98'' , W 8º 29' 34.39''

Staff were great, food was amazing, place was lovely and peaceful when we went (after summer holidays). Got upgraded to a villa which was very spacious for the two of us but very nice. About 45 mins from Faro airport and lots of things to do nearby if you don't mind a short drive.

Martin's grill at Carvoeiro beach does awesome steak (I have very high standards for steak!) Zoomarine is about 25 mins away - dolphin show was awesome so get in about 20 mins before it starts as gets real busy. Lots of boat trips from Vilamoure (35-40 mins away - don't just turn up obviously). Didn't get a chance to do Bulldog Buggies (check their website for details) looks like great fun if that's what our after but pack clothes to get dirty.

Sorry back to the resort. Looked amazing. Gardeners are constantly working to keep up appearances. Reception very helpful. Got a massage by the pool which was relaxing (very strokey) not sure if the lady does them harder as I'm one of those "no pain no gain" people but didn't ask as I don't know much Portuguese and it was relaxing anyway :-)

Bar and restaurant staff all lovely :-)

People have previously mentioned the barking dogs (yeah I heard one but was hardly an issue - take some earplugs if concerned).

The hard beds have also been mentioned. I have to admit, I do like a firm mattress but these were still too hard or me. Hardly ruined it though. Would still come again :-)

All in all one of the best holidays I've ever had :-)

Thank you and see you again one day!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
ColinaHotels, General Manager at Colina da Lapa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Guest, Customer and friend

Thanks for your review here on trip advisor , as you know all reviews are very important for us
to change the less positives points and kepted the positives other way for all staff to incentive and encourage to contunie with the good work.

In my name and name of all my staff a big thanks for your kindly words .

We hope see you once again and very soon

Kind Regards
José MAtos
Director

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Just returned from our weeks holiday today, our personal experience of place was amazing, great rooms, great food real friendly staff. I won't go into all the details about wot u get in rooms etc because enough people have already wrote that, the complex speaks for itself so I'm gonna mention some of the members of staff, Jose in reception and his partner went out of there way to help us from making calls for our transfers, to giving advice on excursions, we also had a great banter with Jose and his wife in the restaurant along with the 2 younger lads, the food was also excellent so a special mention to the chef. Then u also have a Gardner and all the maids who work so hard to keep the place looking how it does, wot a great place and great team of staff u have, can't wait to come back next year, obrigado(thank you)

• Stayed: September 2013
ColinaHotels, General Manager at Colina da Lapa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Dera Customer Guest and friend

Thanks for your review here on tripadvisor as your know are very importnt for us to change the less points and give better or positives points .

in my name and name of all my staff a big thanks are very important to incentive and encourage all in our way in attention in all our guest/friends

we hope to see you once again and very soon

kind Regards
Director

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Ok, here goes, I'm gonna be honest here.Reception very poor, the in villa guide to the resort said we could change our sterling to euros at reception but they've changed the rules so we couldn't, that meant on arrival I couldn't hire a safe as I had no euros, no card payments for anything at reception either, no payments via sterling cash no lee way very stuffy, bad customer service.Went to book a water park trip and reception was shut with a sign BACK IN 10 MINS, I waited with others for nearly 40 mins, and just a smile and a sorry, awful. Restaurant not bad 2 nights we waited over an hour for dinner, kids starvin not great. Pool is too small & 1.5m deep no divin no steps in for practising kids, a puddle pool for babies, staff at restaurant very friendly thumbs up to all of em, defo not 4 star resort never going back.

Room Tip: Try and get a room closer to pool otherwise a little walking involved.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ant p
ColinaHotels, General Manager at Colina da Lapa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dera Customer , Guest and Friend

Many thnks for your review here on trip Advisor

As you know all reviews are important for us to encourage and incentive all of us to kepted and give beter and better service with quality.

In my name and name of all my staff a big thanks for yourt kindly words

We hope to see you again and very soon at your Colina da Lapa

G Manager

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We spent 9 nights at Colina Da Lapa last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so, that we returned again this August for 2 weeks in a 2 Bed villa with two other families to share the chilled, relaxed Colina vibe!

The semi-detached 2 bed Villas are extremely spacious. On ground floor is cloakroom, large lounge/diner with air-con and small TV, separate well equipped kitchen with full sized fridge/freezer, oven, microwave, dishwasher and washing machine and 4 ground floor patio doors leading out to the wonderfully maintained gardens all around. Upstairs is large bathroom with shower over bath and two sinks, two separate twin bedrooms (with lots of wardrobe/drawer space), both with individual air-con units and having their own separate terrace and patio doors.

We took the opportunity to also look inside a 1 bed apartment and these were well proportioned and equally well equipped (except no dishwasher). Apartments are set on either ground floor or 1st floor level (accessed by outdoor steps), some with large terraces and panoramic views over the valley towards Portimao.

All accommodation is traditional in style, so think tiled floors, dark wood and soft furnishings. But all extremely clean and well maintained.

The bar/restaurant had improved immensely since 2012. Yes, perhaps understaffed at times during the day, but never had to wait too long. It was great to see the pool bar open this year, although we did miss last year's happy hour! The restaurant in the evening was very good, 100% improvement on last year. The evening service was great and the menu diverse. Of the 3 or so nights we ate there, not one of the twelve in our party ever had an issue with their meal.

The onsite shop wasn't running last year, but pleased to say it was this year, albeit small and limited, it had most essentials. The majority of the pool sun beds had been renewed and a fresh lick of paint on some of the buildings had lifted the place.

There is a low key kids club and occasional evening entertainment but certainly not the place to go if that's the kind of thing you enjoy out of a holiday.

Within an easy 10 minute walk is a well stocked supermarket and two Italian restaurants. We ate in 'Donatos' which served great pizzas, although the service was a little slow. Also, immediately outside the entrance to Colina is 'Hexagon' restaurant (previously Island Café). This is high end food, fresh quality ingredients, served by excellently trained staff. Great place to go for that special meal. But will set you back in excess of 100 Euros for a family of four with drinks. We pushed the boat out and ate there twice and on both occasions all twelve of us found it amazing.

Do recommend car hire to take the strain out of walking too far in the heat. There are at least three large supermarkets within easy 10 minute drive and beaches at Carveiro and Ferragudo a similar distance away. Nearest beach; Canerios is about 5 mins drive and is beautiful, small but with all the facilities you'd want, with an upmarket feel about it. If you want beach sunbeds/shade you can email/text and reserve in advance.

Jose, Colina's General Manager, was extremely polite, very helpful and spoke excellent English. He has built up a great team at Colina over this last year. Shout out to 'Ilda' in the restaurant/bar who was great fun, just don't ask her to make a cocktail! 2012 was great, but this year was even better and we just hope, if we're lucky enough to visit again, that we'll see even more improvements from Jose and his team.

Positives: Visit Colina if you want to avoid the crowds, not have to queue at meal times and not have to be awake at 6am to grab sunbeds. If like us, with two kids, all you're used to is 4 beds squeezed into one room, you'll be amazed at the space and freedom the 2 bed villas and surrounding gardens provide. The communal pool, restaurant and bar means there's lots of other families to meet and kids to make friends with.

Negatives: It is quiet and set in a residential area so not much to speak of going on in the immediate vacinity, (actually I see that as a positive) but some may like it busier. There is the occasional dog and cat wandering around but they never did any harm. Mosquitos were out in force this year so come prepared! The villas have so many patio doors that it can make you a bit wary. All had locks and some additional security bolts, although not all, so this could do with improving. Efficient service with a smile seems not to be the Portugese strongest point, wherever we went. It stopped bugging us after we accepted that it was obviously their way and after all, who needs to rush when you're on holiday!

Room Tip: All the 2 Bed villas are the same. I've seen some advertised/marketed differently, but it makes...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Fozziebear70

Dera Customer , Guest and Friend

Many thnks for your review here on trip Advisor

In my name and name of all my staff a big thanks for yourt kindly words

We hope to see you again and very soon at your Colina da Lapa

G Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lagoa
Pestana Palm Gardens
1 mi away
Quinta do Paraiso
Quinta do Paraiso
#11 of 18 in Carvoeiro

Been to Colina da Lapa? Share your experiences!