“something missing”

Ranked #1 of 4 Athboy B&B and Inns
westmeath
“something missing”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Have to say it s great to see this hotel open again. Food is good , the chicken caesar is lovley. service is only ok. A lot of young staff that seem nervous . Have been back a few times since it reopened and wish them the best as athboy needs this hotel badly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hotmammaWestmeath
david s, General Manager at Darnley Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hi HM,

Thank you for your review and supporting the Darnley Lodge Hotel. Great to hear you like our food. Thank you for your comments in regards to improving our service. We have taken this under advisement and we are confident you will see an improvement on your next visit.

Thanks again,
David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

great that the Darnley is open again as regular visitors to this part of Ireland we have always gone to the Darnley for a meal . last time it was closed .so now its under new owners and up and running .just as good as it always was and just as busy good food good value for money friendly staff even when one of our party only wanted an omelette not on the menu it was supplied. cannot fault it will be back again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Marie C
Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We stayed her on 15.03.14 for my sisters hen, the staff were so helpfull and made us feel so welcom.I would definatley stay her again such a warm and friendly atmosphere.The food was fantastic and well presented. I could not recommend this hotel enough.Thanks again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Stephanie C
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at the Darnley Lodge for our Mother's funeral. Staff were so kind, accommodating & professional. We held the reception after the funeral there, it was lovely. Because I have a Gluten intolerance I am always watching what I eat, I was most impressed with the fact that I could eat anything there & had no problem what so ever. The food Gluten free or not was excellent. I would certainly recommend the hotel for any event. Lounges, meeting areas, & banquet rooms are large with plenty of room for a gathering.

Room Tip: If you like to see the town come to life in the morning pick the rooms at the front top.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ROSE H
County Meath, Ireland
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Delighted its back open, we have called in for lunches, evening meals, carverys and the occasional cup of coffee with a scone, and were very happy every time. Staff are all very helpful and toilets are always clean, its difficult to type tripadvisors 200 characters when you have nothing bad to say

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mukkieye
Raphoe, Ireland
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I travelled to Athboy from Donegal to attend a weekend training event and was open to a new experience staying in the Darnley. As i entered the building I felt the calming atsmophere and perfect ambience of the building. The two girls at reception were so friendly and helpful. I am a bit fussy with food and like my food and was pleasantly surprised at the delisous breatfast which consisted of the full works!! My stay included a trip to the hill of Tara which was the highlight of the stay for me and all I can say is that my experience at the hill of Tara went hand in hand with this hotel. If you like Irish Heritage, warmth, great food, live music and friendly nice people this hotel has it all. This is the first time I have written on trip adviser but I was so delighted with my whole experience and I am so grateful to them. Edna

Room Tip: I stayed in room 8, quiet, bright, clean and felt a real sense of peace.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank mary672
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I attended a wedding at this hotel in November 2012. The staff were excellent and the room was cosy and very comfortable. This hotel has since been closed which is such a shame as it really was a traditional country hotel with plenty of charm and character.
Best wishes to all the staff.

Room Tip: The stairs are a little rickety (adds to the charm) and could cause issues for those less mobile.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dawn W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Athboy
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
Castle Arch Hotel
Castle Arch Hotel
#3 of 3 in Trim

Been to Darnley Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!