“More suited to couples on a budget”

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We have just arrived back after spending a week at the Turtle Beach Resort. We booked via Monarch holidays paying £2200.00 for 2 adults and a 3 year old child in 1 room

Monarch Flight - Planes are very dated, they are using short haul planes for long haul destinations and the food is terrible, on the plus side the cabin crew were superb and could not be faulted.

Airport - Our plane was virtually empty with less than 80 people and yet it still took over 2 hours to clear immigration owing to the fact that once you collected your incoming luggage, each piece had to be rescanned through a single scanner be careful if you buy excess duty free as they will charge you.

Monarch Rep - It would have been nice to have met the rep if only to find out as why we were left stranded at the airport with no transfer for over an hour and which was only resolved after contacting the UK emergency number - she never contacted any of the guests or came anywhere near the hotel

Hotel - This hotel is suitable for mature couples who want a relaxing time – it is not suitable for families and despite its claims, it has no kids facilities or club at all.

The majority of the staff were lovely and tried to make your stay enjoyable but there were a couple who really needed to lose the attitude

The hotel is a typical rex resort, the communal areas are spotless , the grounds well maintained, there is one large swimming pool , a Jacuzzi located in the centre of the pool but inaccessible due to its poor access and a separate small pool.

The rooms although dated, were spacious, with the added benefit of a dressing area and were overlooking the beach. There is an empty ‘mini fridge’ in the room and flat screen TV with 2 working channels. Despite the claims that there was WIFI in the rooms this was not available in 135 for the whole duration nor was there any internet facility in the reception. There was tea and coffee in the room but no safe deposit box. Although we booked a triple room we were given 2 double beds !

The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis but for 4 days we were without toilet rolls despite repeated requests.

There are 2 bars, 1 in reception known as the lounge bar which was never open and a bar by the pool which had a the swim up bar on one side which was never open and an open air bar on the other, which served as the bar for whole duration of the stay even when there was tropical storms.

Evening entertainment was good but restricted to Thursday – steel band, Monday – singer, Tuesday – singer.

Food was buffet style- breakfast was repetitive , lunch and dinners were varied with soup, very sparse salad bar, 2 meat dishes, 1 fish dish with the normal veg, potatoes, rice, usually choice of 3 deserts. Light lunches/bar snacks/sandwiches were not available so if you didn’t want the 3 course meal for lunch then you starved. Room service consisted of whatever the restaurant menu was for that day. All the stews although tasty were full of bones so not suitable for kids.

Beach Towels - the hotels booklet claims that you get towel cards upon arrival – we didn’t but found that the towels were already in the room on arrival. They don’t tell you how or where to get them changed or the fact that on the last day you have to go and get your towel card or be charged as lost card fee. The towels can be changed each day at the canoe hut.

The hotel is full of mosquitos and sand flies which is not unusual however at no time did they spray the rooms or the communal areas needless to say we are all covered in bites.

The hotel is non-smoking, but they have generously allowed a small naughty corner for the smokers adjacent to the beach wall – the only drawback is that the beach is public and you are constantly asked for cigarettes from the locals walking past.

Beach Vendors - There is an old guy who has a stall on the beach who make the most amazing hand crafted leather goods including carvings and shoes to measure , please give him the time of day as he never pesters and his stuff is really good and inexpensive.

Tours - The hotel does not offer any tour booking service so you are reliant on your rep – as we never had one and despite the hotel stating that you should not use them, we ended up booking our trips through Frankie Leander he is a certified guide with full insurance cover, very professional, is a lot cheaper than what the travel company charges and will come by the hotel on the days of arrivals.

Location - The resort is located on the beach in Black Rock which is 8 miles from Scarborough with the nearest shop being over 2 miles away, there is an onsite shop next to reception open daily 10am – 7pm but it is very poorly stocked the most you can get is the odd bar of chocolate, cans of beer or bottles of coke.

Overall the hotel was okay but we found it to be very disorganised at the higher management level with very poor guest communication.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NW001
Leslie A, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

We would like to thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your vacation and for affording us the opportunity to serve you.

More importantly, thank you for taking the time to post your review and highlighting the positives about the hotel and the areas where improvement could be made is well noted and we will continue in our efforts to improve in these areas.

Once again, thank you and hope you would visit us in the not too distant future.

Regards

Leslie Amedeé

Write a ReviewReviews (1,314)

Reviewed 30 September 2013

My fifth stay at this hotel and first for my niece, Andee. Sadly I was very accident prone this time. I think one of my dogs (Buffy) must have had a premonition about this and didn't want me to go. I had to renew my passport and was out when it arrived. She chewed it when it was posted through the door (I thought you had to sign for passports - but no). She was then christened 'Buffy the Passport Slayer' by friends on Facebook. Undeterred, I had to get another passport which arrived safely, and, armed with the world's most expensive passport, I made my way to Tobago.

I would like to thank the owners, management, staff, rep Judith, fellow guests and even the guys on the beach for their sympathy and advice on my various mishaps which continued to plague me from the minute I arrived until the day I left. The sympathy and cuddles were truly appreciated as on texting my husband in the UK to inform him of my first accident he replied 'latest score: Swansea 1 Liverpool 2' so no sympathy there. Also thanks to dr., and hospital staff (x-ray dept.) for their kind attention. I can't remember a holiday before where I have had more ice placed on various parts of my body than in my drinks. Leslie: - that thing with burying the foot in the sand and letting the waves wash over it ... actually worked! Who would have thought?

We were very impressed with the hospital which has improved enormously since the first time I was there 25 years ago after treading on a sea urchin. They had chickens running round a courtyard then - didn't see any chickens this time.

I am very pleased to have provided everyone with so much entertainment and aside from all this we had the most incredible time and laughed so much even that hurt! Can recommend the horse riding (Being with Horses). Veronika and Lennon have such passion for their animals and do amazing work with disabled children. Due to arthritis, I had to give up my beloved horse riding but because my joints respond so well to the weather in Tobago, I was back on a horse for the first time in ten years, (managed to stay on and no accident occurred on this day). Can also recommend the catamaran 'Island Girl' and also the glass bottom boat to reef, Nylon Pool and bbq at No Man's Land. Swimming in Nylon Pool is supposed to make you ten years younger. After swimming here we were at the bbq where during the course of conversation, someone guessed Andee's age at ten years OLDER than she actually is. She was a bit miffed. Every time I've been to Tobago I've had a swim in Nylon Pool . This means I should look 12 by now. I don't - so please don't expect too much.

We love this hotel with its friendly staff, beautiful gardens, and location right on the beach. Could someone please thank Engine Bob for the lovely carved bamboo he sent me - as due to another incident report I had to complete, I didn't get a chance to thank him personally before we had to leave.

Would I return again? Yes, - if they'll allow me - hopefully next Spring with my husband (if I'm still speaking to him) and friends.

Elaine and Andrea Carlin
13 - 27 Sept. 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank carlin2

It was indeed a pleasure having you visit us again as a valued repeat guest. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for putting such a positive spin on your very eventful holiday with us.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you next year and thank for your loyalty and commitment shown to Turtle beach by rex resorts.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Overall food food quality fair, although free 2i fi it was very difficult sometimes impossible to access in the room., only clearly accessible in public areas. Rooms very dark not sufficient lighting or natural daylight.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NariRanju

Thank you for choosing us for your vacation and for taking the time to write your review.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience with the WiFi and we are working with our IT department to address this situation. Your comment on the lighting in the room is noted.

Once again, thank you and hope to have you visit us in the not too distant future

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We flew to Tobago with Monarch, it was an uncomfortable long flight with the added distress of an elderly women shouting “open the doors we are all going to die!” for about 7 hours of the flight. Tobago airport is tiny and ill equipped to handle such a big intake of passengers (330), it took about 2 ½ hours to get through.
First impression of the hotel was dark, dull and in need of some tender loving care. We were shown straight to our rooms after drinking a lovely rum punch. The rooms are spacious and clean but in need of some updating, the bathroom too was clean but very dated. When we booked we were under the impression that all rooms had a perfect sea view, which was one of the reasons we booked this hotel, however this is not the case, our room had a view of the pool and if you looked hard you could see some sea. We asked to change rooms at the reception and considering the hotel was at about 10% capacity, the receptionist found this difficult to do. Eventually, after “tutting” and moaning we got our sea view. This room was at a cost though…..there was no hot water. We phoned reception, who explained it was just a switch and maintenance would rectify this immediately. The next night, no hot water and so on for the next few nights. Maintenance finally arrived and informed us the switch was faulty and he had to manually switch it to hot which he did. The hot water lasted about 5mins when is automatically switched back to cold. We visited reception who informed us that they were unable to change the switch as they had none and were having no more in, and offered us a room change, but having changed already I did not relish the thought of changing again. We asked to speak to the General Manager. The receptionist called him in his office and she explained our situation and he put the phone down on the receptionist. She was very embarrassed and close to tears, We were shocked that a general manager could deal with guests this way and treat his staff with such disrespect.
As the week went on it was clear that the hotel was managed by a very poor manager. The hotel is under staffed and as a result the few staff working are rude, ignorant and some even look distressed. The hotel has two bars as advertised, but only the pool bar is open (day and night) because apparently the general manager does not want to staff the other. We were informed by staff that this was the case in both high and low seasons.The food resembles a school canteen, with no chefs working in the kitchen, just a couple of under qualified cooks who can’t be bothered to get the self-service trays of food out in time for dinner. When we complained to the cooks about the lack of cooked food, their answer was simply “we are under staffed.”
Security at the hotel is also disconcerting. There is security at the hotel, but they too look very disinterested in their jobs. One lady we met was sunbathing on the beach while her husband was diving. A man approached her begging for cigarettes and money, putting his face up close to hers, when she screamed for him to go away he urinated up a tree. Security turned their backs and walked away.
This hotel could be lovely if the management team could actually manage the staff and the hotel. The general manager totally lets down Rex Resorts. The experience on the Monarch flight, Tobago airport and Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts has quite simply put me off ever returning to a Rex Resort or indeed Tobago.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank ImogenStuart

I would like to thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your vacation, but more importantly, to apologize for the discomfort experienced during your stay.

I would agree that we did experience some staffing challenges during your stay, but our intention is always to be able to provide the service that our guests expect and I can assure you we are working to remedy this situation.

Clearly there was some miscommunication (internally) which may have contributed to some of the issues that impacted negatively on your stay.

Once again, I would like to apologize sincerely for the discomfort experienced and I asked that you afford us another opportunity to prove we can do better.

Sincerely

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I needed a get away and decided to visit turtle beach Rex resorts for a weekend. As we arrived we wer greeted with complimentary drinks which were mouth watering and unforgettable, the best rum punch ever. we were then taken To our room. The rooms were nice but I think a little upgrade is necessary, it seemed a bit outdated especially the tv set. Anyway we had a wonderful view of the sea and I must commend on the cleanliness. the first night the hotel had a managers cocktail party and we got free drinks and finger foods accompanied by a small local band singing. The staff there is most friendly and accommodating. The pool is nice but can't say much since I didn't bathe in it. The area is nice and big and it is clean too. The breakfast didn't impress me much since it was mainly bread. I was hoping for something local. Like bake. The second night's entertainment was a soca artiste from Trinidad. This was nice I really enjoys the music and her singing. All in all I love it here and lookin forward to coming back. Please improve breakfast tho.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you, thank you. It was our pleasure to have you visit us for your short vacation and to know that the impact we had was a positive one.

It nice to hear that you will be back and we certainly look forward to welcoming you on your return.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

My self and my 15 year old daughter stayed at the turtle beach resort between 28/08/13-04/09/13. Before we decided to book at the turtle beach hotel through golden holidays we researched the resort on trip advisor and found the previous reviews to be quite accurate. Despite reading some terrible reviews we decided to stay at turtle beach resort even though we were in two minds but were convinced by the common comments of tasty food, a large pool, friendly service and a beautiful beach.

My experience at The Turtle Beach Resort will definitely be one that won't be forgotten. We arrived at turtle beach at 2:30pm via a private taxi with a driver named scout who works at the airport- a very friendly man. We were quickly checked in and received a warm welcome from a lovely desk lady named thesea- a lovely lady. We were informed the room was not ready yet so we were lead to the bar and received complimentary welcome drinks from the kind bartender Geoffrey.

Although our arrival was pleasant, after coming on a long, exhausting flight waiting for our room seemed almost an eternity when after an hour and half the room was still not ready...

ROOMS
We eventually got to our room and were pleasantly surprised by the size, cleanliness and the rare plasma television. At the time the only concern was a large gap between the door and frame which made it difficult to close the door properly. However we were able to lock it therefore we did not worry our selves and sat back and enjoyed our lovely room with very comfy beds.

POOL AREA
The pool area was very inviting and clean however on closer inspection most of the sunbeds were broken and are very thin and therefore very uncomfortable! The pool is large although it is shallow all the way round which is good for young children as the the pool is a maximum of 4 feet deep but not practical for a proper swim, and the floor is VERY rough. A jacuzzi is located in the centre of the pool that is not easily accessible as the bridge leading to it was removed because it was broken. After the first day the jacuzzi stopped working and was not fixed throughout the further remainder of our stay.

THE BEACH
We were really looking forward to the golden/white sand we were expecting but to our disappointment the beach was rough and was a dark, muddy colour with high sand banks making it a steep descent/ascent to and from the beach. The local fisherman fish on the beach and leave their catch to lie out on the sand for days which generated a terrible rotting smell apparent around the populated pool area on some days. There are also a few harmless story dogs who wonder along the beach. Watching these dogs doing about their business on the beach was a little off putting to swim in the ocean and made us cautious of where we stepped. Just to make you aware there are jellyfish in the ocean but it is a pleasant walk and a wonderful palm tree covered view, as well as a stunning sunset everyday.

BAR
No drink lists were available for all inclusive visitors so it was difficult to ascertain What drinks were available. Some of the bar-men are quite unfriendly but exceptions such as Mark and Geoffrey and others who are very welcoming. A guest can be made to feel as if they are causing an inconvenience asking for a drink (which had we had already paid for); service is very hit and miss depending on what staff member you are being served by.

The bar closes at 11 and the lights are switched off around the pool at approximately 12pm which makes it hard to see. We were made to feel like kids and to go to bed or go else where, which was difficult as there is no where else to go other than the small lobby area.

FOOD/RESTAURANT
I was personally very disappointed with the food at the resort; being a vegetarian there are not many varieties of vegetarian dishes or dishes in general. A real concern was when my daughter tried the chicken on two seperate occasions and it was not cooked properly, was pink and still bloody inside.
Breakfast consists of a continental style with bacon, turkey sausage, a few local dishes, fruit, hash browns and a lady who serves eggs supposedly to your preference. However when I expressed "I like my eggs well done", she replied " All my eggs are well done!"
I was deeply offended when one waitress in particular would point to the sanitizer for us to use (point! And not ask; it was there for guests discretion- this was clarified by the manager) but did not ask others guests to use it.
If you are a late arriver do not expect a full food court as food is not replaced, which should not be the case in any hotel! The only toaster broke and was also not replaced either.

SECURITY
Although there are security safes in MOST rooms please note that not all of them work properly and are very technical from my experience. if you don't have one you should request a room with one provided or you may have to use the one behind the front desk, which to many would be an inconvenience I presume. Please ensure valuables especially cash is placed in the safe or is locked in a secure bag/suitcase at all times! As we had a bad experience when £90 was stolen from our room: we could not accommodate all of our valuables in to the safe so we kept them in a padlocked suitcase , but on one particular occasion forgot to lock it.

REP AND MANAGEMENT INVOLVEMENT
We notified the manager immediately and informed him of the situation.
He Persued it further by following the hotels security protocol. We were then told that the police would be informed who would carry out their own investigation, but were informed the police were preoccupied, therefore would come to the hotel in the evening; so we proceeded with our plans for the day but wanted to also inform our rep from Golden holidays Susan Ramrattan.

When I explained to her about the events that had taken place she was very unsympathetic and replied "Well this can happen anywhere in the world not just tobago, you should have locked everything in the safe!" offended by her lack of support of sympathy I replied "I could not accommodate everything in to the safe as there was not enough room and it has never happened to us anywhere else! It is still not acceptable that someone should violate our privacy, go through our bags and steal from us!"

We asked what she could do to help us but quickly said that she could not do much else if the the police have already been notified. I was very annoyed at her attitude, her lack of knowledge as our rep along with lack of enthusiasm to try and correct the situation. I ended the call feeling very frustrated and let down.

When we arrived back from our day out Susan was waiting with the general manager mr Leslie Amedee. Susan had realised that I was not happy with the way she had previously spoken to me and proceeded to make excuses that she could not hear me properly in the previous conversation.
I went on to explain how distressed I was and how unsupported I felt by her comments to which she replied "Well you didn't sound very distressed on the phone." I could not believe what I was hearing and expressed how she was making a bad situation worse! I was outraged how a rep should behave in this way to the extent when another guest witnessed what she said and was equally appalled.
Mr Leslie Amedee was equally unsupportive and said that he tried calling the police on several occasions but did not keep me informed on what was happening. This left me feeling more distressed, which led me to believe they did not take the complaint seriously.

Apparently we were not able to go the the police and that they had to come to us; so hoping they would arrive like the manager had previously told us we waited for hours on end, but unfortunately the police never came and the manager did not even have the courtesy to notify us...

It also transpired that another male guest at the hotel with his daughter had money missing and had personal items tampered with as well as more guests at the hotel. This included perfume used, stolen shorts, unopened food eaten and scotch drunk. This gentleman also made a complaint in both mine and my daughters presence and was also told to continue waiting for the polices arrival.

As no effort was made to communicate any information with us we approached mr Amedee ourselves and he told us "I tried to call the police but they said they would not come this late at night." To our outrage we questioned why he had not informed us as we were still led to believe at 12am they were still coming. Mr Amedee became defensive and did not try and help with the situation but walked away during mid conversation.

After that night he no longer made any attempt to communicate with us and did not try and resolve the situation once again and at this time I realised I was not going to be supported by the management of the Turtle Beach Resort. This impacted the rest of our stay at the resort as we constantly felt paranoid, and insecure in our own room and was finding any excuse not to stay in the hotel...

My self and my daughter tried to enjoy the rest of our holiday and continued with a tour we booked the following day. When we returned no one from the management approached us, the only thing we were greeted with was a letter from Susan informing us that she tried to see us at the hotel. We later approached the other gentleman who made a complaint asking if the police had arrived that day. He stayed in the hotel for the whole day but still no police had come to see us.

The following day we were returning back to the UK and was still disgusted with our treatment from the hotel management and that nothing had been done to resolve the situation. No apology was received from the management or from mr Amedee and no police had seen us or delivered us with a police report...

At this thought I went to see Mr Amedee myself and it emerged that when we returned from our tour the police had arrived but because we were not present at the hotel they left. We were not informed of their arrival the whole of the previous evening by
mr Amadee or from our rep Susan who also knew this information.

I questioned mr Amedee why the police did not come to see the gentleman who had made the other complaint; "because all of the focus was on you" he said, followed by "the police don't get involved in Petty things like that." I could not believe my ears and expressed how one complaint is as important as another; I left his office flabbergasted after he promised to hand me a police
report before I left for the airport that he would personally collect from the police station right away...

I never received a police report and I never received an apology
from the management! The matter is left unresolved so now I will be
making an official complaint to the hotels management committee. I have travelled all around the world
I have stayed in three, four and five star resorts but have never experienced such a negligence from staff management and representatives.

I hope that no other traveller has this kind of experience in
this resort. Please if you have had similar experiences let other travellers know.

Would I return to Turtle beach hotel? No!
Would I recommend Turtle
beach hotel? No!
I would however come to tobago despite our horrendous experience with the rep and hotel management we met some lovely people many who was staying at the Turtle Beach resort there were more supportive than the rep and the management put together so thank you to everyone who was so supportive to us.

To those who want to travel to Tobago and want to experience the great trips that we did, I highly recommend Daryl's tours who is located on pigeon point by the pier, and Han's tours. Both are amazing guides and will give you an inside in to the culture, people and natural beauty of the island and their passion for the island will make you fall in love with Tobago.

We also met some lovely people and experienced real Tobagon hospitality from the locals, and that there is a real lovely culture of people in Tobago!

We will definitely be returning to Tobago without question but we will not stay at The Turtle Beach Resort! Go at your own risk!

• Stayed: August 2013
8  Thank Nandaodedra

First and foremost, our sincere apologies for unfortunate incident with the missing cash, which certainly been a serious concern for us. It is unfortunate that the matter was dealt with better and we certainly acknowledge this.

We do note the some of failings highlighted in your review and we will work assiduously to improve in these areas.

Once again, our sincere apologies and I do hope this experience does not mar any chance of you visiting us in the not too distant future, where we can certainly show that we could do better.

Sincerely

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have been to Tobago several times and try to stay at different locations. On this occasion I was looking for an all inclusive resort. The reviews for this resort was mixed and varied, however I decided to make a reservation for my wife, myself, and three children ages 9,14,&15. The infrastructure of the hotel is not of the best but it is well maintained and the rooms are very clean. The food was very tasty and a variety of choices. The children had a blast in the pool and paddle boat. My only issue was I booked the family room which was two rooms with a connecting door as this would have been appropriate for our family. I decided to call the day before we were scheduled to arrive to ensure that all was arranged, but to my disappointment I was informed that the family room was not available as the existing family had extended their stay, and I will get rooms next to each other. To me this was unacceptable as the family will have to sleep in different apartments. At this late time I was unable to get any other accommodation so I decided to keep the reservation. I believe that the resort should have informed me of the change in accommodation. However, it turned out to be a most enjoyable family vacation and I will most likely return.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms # 105-130 are close to the pool and restaurant area and the patio exits onto the...