“had wonderful time”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
London, United Kingdom
“had wonderful time”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Planning on going back next year. I think you have to be a laid back person to really get the most out of this hotel. there were various shape/size plugs/sockets in the room and on the appliances. we ended up with the kettle and coffee maker only fitting in the plugs under the dressing table at floor level. Found these type of wacky things amusing but may drive some mad! The staff were mostly friendly and helpful (exception was one moody bar tender). food was good but a severe lack of Caribbean food. This is not a 4/5* hotel so don't expect it to be so. Good value for money. Also, if you end up in A&E as I did following an accident there is a brand new hospital on the island with extremely good health care and is free (speaking as an ex nurse I was very impressed). This hotel is really geared up for the all inclusive market so if you go anything else if you want to shop or eat it is all charged to the room. The shop was rarely open but ask at reception and they will arrange for someone to open it - however, whatever you buy they have to list it all by hand to charge it to the room as they don't take cash. The room was cleaned every day, the evening entertainment was enjoyable. A visit to Sunday School was great although you must stay after 12am as this is when it livens up.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your vacation and for taking the time to write your review, noting the few areas we can improve.

Most of all, I would like to thank giving us the opportunity to be of service to you and for loyalty shown by deciding to return next year.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you in 2014

Leslie Amedeé

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Polish first
Bristol
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had a really enjoyable stay and would go back tomorrow.If you want four or five star then don't go there. Its not a luxury hotel,but it is a good authentic Caribbean hotel. Great Caribbean food, peaceful and relaxing and good value.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank karan p
Leslie A, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
It was our pleasure to have you spend your holiday with us and to hear that you enjoyed your stay is a bonus for our efforts in working on improving the product and services we offer to you our valued guests.

We do hope your next visit will not be in a too distant future, but instead "tomorrow" as stated in your view.

Many thanks for choosing us and for taking the time to write your review.

Mississauga
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Staff was very nice and helpful but the management was not

The Management will not feed you until after 3pm

can you imagine arriving at someones house at 11:30 in the morning and they tell you 1 drink and no more food or drink until after 3 pm

Room Tip: if you are hungry and don't like wild life including managers who are not as kind to thier guest...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charlene S
Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and it wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were well looked after by my staff.

I would like to apologize for the issue with the meal, however, the way it works is, check-in time is 3:00pm and whatever meal package you are on is available for the your use from 3:00pm. If a guest wants to have lunch before the check-in time they can do so and have it billed to their room.

The management of the hotel do offer some flexibility with the meal arrangements, because check-out time from the hotel is 12:00 noon, however, we offer the flexibility for departing guests to patronize the food and beverage up to 3:00pm at no additional to them.

Once again, I would like to thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and I do hope this incident do not impact negatively on your stay and you will afford us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Leslie Amedeé

Travellers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed at Turtle beach from 30/8/2013 until 13/9/2013.

What can I say other than we had a fabulous holiday. The are a lot of negative views which frankly I can't understand, I feel as if I must have been at a different hotel or I had my rose tinted glasses on.

Yes I do agree the hotel is a little tired but hey ho we are in the Caribbean and standards are very different and it is advertised as a three star NOT five star hotel which I do think you need to take this into account, In my opinion it is more suited for people who want a relaxing holiday.

We flew with British Airways, very nice flight plane was very empty and managed to get through immigration very quickly from touch down, collecting luggage, getting through immigration, scanning luggage then ordering a taxi it took us 1 hour and 10 minutes!!

As soon as we arrived the staff made us feel very welcolme, a Rum Punch was offered immediately. We were lucky to be given a spacious room which was spotless, right on the beach we could not have asked for a better setting. We also had a complimentary fruit basket and Champagne delivered to our room as it was my birthday.

We had a few little niggles ie Shower tap came off in my hand, that was replaced within an hour, BUT, nothing major at all. Every request that I phoned reception for was acted upon immediately, Ie more pillows, Iron/ Ironing board.

Clean towels are provided each day at the beach hut.

The shop is a bit hit and miss re opening times as noone seems to be serving, however, if you go to reception they will open up for you.................it took us a while to realise this.

I was surprised to have quite a large safe in our room that accommodated all our valuables ie Laptop, phones, camcorder, camera and all other personal possessions. It must have been easy to use as I managed to work it out immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On our second day I left the maid about 50TT Dollars on the pillow as a thank you for keeping our room so clean and tidy, I was very surprised when we returned to the room the bed was made the room cleaned and the money placed back on the pillow, I again left it on the pillow the next day and the same thing happened on the 4th day I left a note instructing the maid to PLEASE take the money!!!!!!!!!!

I

IN our opinion the Staff were polite, friendly and went out of their way to ensure we had a most delightful holiday, my motto is if you treat people the way you expect to be treated people will be the same back. It must be said that some people would seem to be continually moaning about something ...................... is this why the staff did not seem to be as friendly towards them. ???? I can only speak from my experience but, I never once experienced rudeness or ignorance. I found the general manager to be most courteous who daily stopped to talk and converse with us.

I will say that the staff had a number of guest who were very trying indeed, however, I never once saw or heard them being rude, the was one particular person who was dam right rude to the serving staff and a number of guests complained to the manager about this guest, stating that the staff should not be expected to treated or spoken to in this way.

My husband is a very fussy eater, however he remarked on how good the food was the was a roast meat each evening and plenty of BAR-B QUES.I would say that I have been all over the world and have been to numerous all inclusive hotels with a lot more choice, however, too much choice can be more daunting as I can end up with a bit of all sorts on my plate, where as here I felt like we were eating proper meals. With all inclusive it can be very repetitive but I did not think it was to bad.
Evening entertainment was not to bad, singer, steel drums, fire eater all good fun, however, it was not on for long enough.

I was disappointed to find The hotel had only one of the two bars open, but this did not spoil our holiday as we were able to sit and listen to the sea and talk to the beach boys.

The local fisherman DO fish on the beach, however, in another review it was stated that they leave their catch to lie out on the sand for days which generated a terrible rotting smell apparent around the populated pool area in the 14 days that we were at the resort this never happened and we walked on the beach daily.

We were also fortunate to come across 13 new born turtles that we managed to save with the help of the beach boys, especially the old guy as he was very knowledgeable and had a passion for turtles.

We managed to book an island trip, Arghyl falls and visiting a rain forest via the hotel (The American Guy sits in Reception) I managed to barter with him to give me a discount on all trips we had a fab driver named G1 who wife made lunch for us what a character, any question you asked about the island he knew.

Special mention to Kurt who took us out on his boat, which was some experience, he took us snorkeling, to the Nylon pool and we were so fortunate to swim with a pod of wild dolphins, breathtaking, this was one of the highlight of our holiday.
also many thanks to Marlon our fabulous taxi driver who took us to the great experience of Sunday School, definitely a must!!!!!.

Had a fabulous holiday met some fabulous people seen some wonderful beaches. Would I go back to Tobago?............... you bet in a heartbeat, but leave the moaning Brits behind.

If you would like any more information please feel free to ask.

Room Tip: 128 was a very good view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Annetteoreilly
Leslie A, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Many thanks for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and for affording us the opportunity to have such a positive effect on your holiday.

Our intentions are to always meet the needs of our valued guests and as stated, there areas that needs to be improved and we will continue working on it and training our staff to continuously deliver a higher level of customer service.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a detail and direct review, which will most definitely serve to motive my team to continue in their efforts to satisfy our "valued guests"

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit, which we hope is in 2014 God spare.

north west
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We have just arrived back after spending a week at the Turtle Beach Resort. We booked via Monarch holidays paying £2200.00 for 2 adults and a 3 year old child in 1 room

Monarch Flight - Planes are very dated, they are using short haul planes for long haul destinations and the food is terrible, on the plus side the cabin crew were superb and could not be faulted.

Airport - Our plane was virtually empty with less than 80 people and yet it still took over 2 hours to clear immigration owing to the fact that once you collected your incoming luggage, each piece had to be rescanned through a single scanner be careful if you buy excess duty free as they will charge you.

Monarch Rep - It would have been nice to have met the rep if only to find out as why we were left stranded at the airport with no transfer for over an hour and which was only resolved after contacting the UK emergency number - she never contacted any of the guests or came anywhere near the hotel

Hotel - This hotel is suitable for mature couples who want a relaxing time – it is not suitable for families and despite its claims, it has no kids facilities or club at all.

The majority of the staff were lovely and tried to make your stay enjoyable but there were a couple who really needed to lose the attitude

The hotel is a typical rex resort, the communal areas are spotless , the grounds well maintained, there is one large swimming pool , a Jacuzzi located in the centre of the pool but inaccessible due to its poor access and a separate small pool.

The rooms although dated, were spacious, with the added benefit of a dressing area and were overlooking the beach. There is an empty ‘mini fridge’ in the room and flat screen TV with 2 working channels. Despite the claims that there was WIFI in the rooms this was not available in 135 for the whole duration nor was there any internet facility in the reception. There was tea and coffee in the room but no safe deposit box. Although we booked a triple room we were given 2 double beds !

The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis but for 4 days we were without toilet rolls despite repeated requests.

There are 2 bars, 1 in reception known as the lounge bar which was never open and a bar by the pool which had a the swim up bar on one side which was never open and an open air bar on the other, which served as the bar for whole duration of the stay even when there was tropical storms.

Evening entertainment was good but restricted to Thursday – steel band, Monday – singer, Tuesday – singer.

Food was buffet style- breakfast was repetitive , lunch and dinners were varied with soup, very sparse salad bar, 2 meat dishes, 1 fish dish with the normal veg, potatoes, rice, usually choice of 3 deserts. Light lunches/bar snacks/sandwiches were not available so if you didn’t want the 3 course meal for lunch then you starved. Room service consisted of whatever the restaurant menu was for that day. All the stews although tasty were full of bones so not suitable for kids.

Beach Towels - the hotels booklet claims that you get towel cards upon arrival – we didn’t but found that the towels were already in the room on arrival. They don’t tell you how or where to get them changed or the fact that on the last day you have to go and get your towel card or be charged as lost card fee. The towels can be changed each day at the canoe hut.

The hotel is full of mosquitos and sand flies which is not unusual however at no time did they spray the rooms or the communal areas needless to say we are all covered in bites.

The hotel is non-smoking, but they have generously allowed a small naughty corner for the smokers adjacent to the beach wall – the only drawback is that the beach is public and you are constantly asked for cigarettes from the locals walking past.

Beach Vendors - There is an old guy who has a stall on the beach who make the most amazing hand crafted leather goods including carvings and shoes to measure , please give him the time of day as he never pesters and his stuff is really good and inexpensive.

Tours - The hotel does not offer any tour booking service so you are reliant on your rep – as we never had one and despite the hotel stating that you should not use them, we ended up booking our trips through Frankie Leander he is a certified guide with full insurance cover, very professional, is a lot cheaper than what the travel company charges and will come by the hotel on the days of arrivals.

Location - The resort is located on the beach in Black Rock which is 8 miles from Scarborough with the nearest shop being over 2 miles away, there is an onsite shop next to reception open daily 10am – 7pm but it is very poorly stocked the most you can get is the odd bar of chocolate, cans of beer or bottles of coke.

Overall the hotel was okay but we found it to be very disorganised at the higher management level with very poor guest communication.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NW001
Leslie A, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
We would like to thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your vacation and for affording us the opportunity to serve you.

More importantly, thank you for taking the time to post your review and highlighting the positives about the hotel and the areas where improvement could be made is well noted and we will continue in our efforts to improve in these areas.

Once again, thank you and hope you would visit us in the not too distant future.

Regards

Tarporley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My fifth stay at this hotel and first for my niece, Andee. Sadly I was very accident prone this time. I think one of my dogs (Buffy) must have had a premonition about this and didn't want me to go. I had to renew my passport and was out when it arrived. She chewed it when it was posted through the door (I thought you had to sign for passports - but no). She was then christened 'Buffy the Passport Slayer' by friends on Facebook. Undeterred, I had to get another passport which arrived safely, and, armed with the world's most expensive passport, I made my way to Tobago.

I would like to thank the owners, management, staff, rep Judith, fellow guests and even the guys on the beach for their sympathy and advice on my various mishaps which continued to plague me from the minute I arrived until the day I left. The sympathy and cuddles were truly appreciated as on texting my husband in the UK to inform him of my first accident he replied 'latest score: Swansea 1 Liverpool 2' so no sympathy there. Also thanks to dr., and hospital staff (x-ray dept.) for their kind attention. I can't remember a holiday before where I have had more ice placed on various parts of my body than in my drinks. Leslie: - that thing with burying the foot in the sand and letting the waves wash over it ... actually worked! Who would have thought?

We were very impressed with the hospital which has improved enormously since the first time I was there 25 years ago after treading on a sea urchin. They had chickens running round a courtyard then - didn't see any chickens this time.

I am very pleased to have provided everyone with so much entertainment and aside from all this we had the most incredible time and laughed so much even that hurt! Can recommend the horse riding (Being with Horses). Veronika and Lennon have such passion for their animals and do amazing work with disabled children. Due to arthritis, I had to give up my beloved horse riding but because my joints respond so well to the weather in Tobago, I was back on a horse for the first time in ten years, (managed to stay on and no accident occurred on this day). Can also recommend the catamaran 'Island Girl' and also the glass bottom boat to reef, Nylon Pool and bbq at No Man's Land. Swimming in Nylon Pool is supposed to make you ten years younger. After swimming here we were at the bbq where during the course of conversation, someone guessed Andee's age at ten years OLDER than she actually is. She was a bit miffed. Every time I've been to Tobago I've had a swim in Nylon Pool . This means I should look 12 by now. I don't - so please don't expect too much.

We love this hotel with its friendly staff, beautiful gardens, and location right on the beach. Could someone please thank Engine Bob for the lovely carved bamboo he sent me - as due to another incident report I had to complete, I didn't get a chance to thank him personally before we had to leave.

Would I return again? Yes, - if they'll allow me - hopefully next Spring with my husband (if I'm still speaking to him) and friends.

Elaine and Andrea Carlin
13 - 27 Sept. 2013

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank carlin2
It was indeed a pleasure having you visit us again as a valued repeat guest. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for putting such a positive spin on your very eventful holiday with us.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you next year and thank for your loyalty and commitment shown to Turtle beach by rex resorts.

Kingstown, St. Vincent
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Overall food food quality fair, although free 2i fi it was very difficult sometimes impossible to access in the room., only clearly accessible in public areas. Rooms very dark not sufficient lighting or natural daylight.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NariRanju
Thank you for choosing us for your vacation and for taking the time to write your review.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience with the WiFi and we are working with our IT department to address this situation. Your comment on the lighting in the room is noted.

Once again, thank you and hope to have you visit us in the not too distant future

Leslie Amedeé
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Coco Reef Tobago
Coco Reef Tobago
#1 of 3 in Crown Point
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!