“The warmth of The Caribbean Truly Enjoy my stay”

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Arrived on Wednesday 23rd October, 2013. Warm and friendly reception, complimentary drink on arrival then checked into room, (Clean, Comfortable). Great staff very accommodating to our needs (especially at the bar.....Jason, Polynesian guy and I think Michael). Special mention to Juliet always smiling and her warmth made our stay so much more enjoyable( give her a raise). Room service again GGRRREAT even though she got a cut on her finger Thursday morning in another room. The meals - Wonderful variety at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner appreciated the choices available ( you are responsible for the extra pounds gained) LOL...........Thank you for your warmth and hospitality...normally stay closer to airport (Store Bay being my favorite beach) but did not miss it at all.

Lots of love to The Management and Staff.....Derick

1  Thank Derick J
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

We trust this will be the first of many visits to Turtle Beach by rex resorts, because it was certainly a pleasure serving you and having you engaging in regular discourse with staff and management was very much appreciated.

I would like to thank for acknowledging the efforts to deliver on our promise to you our valued guest. We will continue in our efforts and hope to see you in the not too distant future.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed at Turtle Bay in April 2013. We arrived just shortly after lunch and although we got our room keys very easily, we were not given our wristbands until after 3pm so we did not get anything to eat until dinnertime, and there were no other restaurants within walking distance. When we asked we were told that we could pay extra to have lunch…I was so surprised as most resorts will at least let you have lunch if you have an early arrival. Apparently there were snack or afternoon tea available after 3pm, but we never found it.

The room was clean and adequate for our needs. It overlooked the beach which was nice as we had a great ocean view. We were at the far end of the resort so it was pretty quiet. The buffet was good for the most part, better selections at breakfast and dinner than lunch. The chef was pretty “creative” with some of the food combinations – we still laugh about the watermelon and breakfast sausage salad that was served one day at lunch…priceless!!

We only stayed for 3 days and 2 nights, so not much time to do any tours, but I think there were some excursions offered leaving from the town. You had to take a taxi everywhere however, as the resort was somewhat secluded from the town.

We enjoyed being so close to the beach, but I found the water a little cool and the surf could be a bit rough at times.

Altogether it was good for what it was…a place to sleep, eat and enjoy the beach, I would look at other options if I went back to Tobago.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

My apologize for the issue with the lunch, but the All Inclusive Package starts at the stipulated arrival time which is 3:00pm and if guest arrives before this time and the room is available it would be offered at no charge even if there is a standard minimal charge for early check-in . Nonetheless, I note your concern and we will review the policy.

I would like to thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and I am pleased that you had a enjoyable stay, with exception of the minor issue with the lunch.

We do hope you would reconsider when you next visit Tobago

Reviewed 25 October 2013

I sent my parents to Rex Turtle Beach for there 28th wedding anniversary in September, the experience of booking this place wasn't stressful, the staff was very friendly Ms. Esther and Mr Lincoln were really helpful and were very patient in dealing with my many phone calls and request. When parents reached checking in was quick and efficient, there room had rose petals and it had wine and fruits,on the second night had candles and rose petals. My parents said the food was good and the staff was very friendly and helpful, the staff was full of smiles all the time they said it felt like a second honeymoon, my mom was moved to tears when the pannist played there wedding song and gave them the note my brother and i composed. Thanks very much

Room Tip: get the deluxe room king size bed
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tropical_Princess88

It was indeed our pleasure to be of service to your parents and knowing that we were able to impact so positively on such a special occasion for them.

Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for this special occasion and we certainly hope the next one will be spent with us.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We arrived at turtle beach hotel on 15th October and can honestly say it’s the worse hotel that we have ever stayed in. upon approval we was met by our rep who was very nice and directed us to the car parker where a chirpy looking guy was waiting for us.
Unfortunately his car boot wasn’t big enough to hold our luggage so we travelled in the car with the boot unopened. Then we were informed that he wanted to stop at a shop to buy some food, can you image our horror after a ten hour flight. When we finally got to the hotel; I thought the driver must have taken a wrong turning because the hotel looked like it like something out of a movie (cabin fever) and we couldn’t believe how poor it looked.

We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who gave us our key and offered a porter service if we wished. We were taken to our room which was so poor is should have been knocked down, I really don’t know how hotels get away with offering such poor value then charging customers the earth. Nothing worked hair dryer that looked like a bit of hover pipe stuck to the wall or the fridge that hummed a tune very five minutes.

The room was a 60’s throw back, so out dated the light didn’t work and we only had to TV channels, I called the reception when it was clear that we didn’t have a safe and was told that” only some rooms have a safe” the receptionist then claimed that it would take a few hours to check the bookings. The bathroom and floors were dirty and clear that the room hadn’t been cleaned.

We were moved to another room which was a little better then the first however the bathroom and floors were again dirty, the safe didn’t work and I was assured that this would be fixed quickly. Five days later the maintenance person bought it back and we weren’t even told, the general rule was that we had to be present when a safe needed to be fixed or bought back, regardless to say these people make up there own rules.

The hotel itself is very poor not even a 2 star and the pool area was a joke don’t know what its just over 3.6ft deep couldn’t even swim in it because it was to shallow. The water in the pool had loads of flies and jazzci was broken, we seriously considered transferring to coca reef resort because it was so bad. The pool bar had loads of flies swarming the glasses and drinks, surely management could have done something about this furthermore a number of customers complained about one of the bar waiters.

One night it appeared that he had taken an illegal substance; he really did look high and was swaying about a lot. It’s safe to say that we didn’t order anymore drinks from him that night. The locals are friendly be can be annoying they patrol the beach and will just hang over the edge watching everyone, if you start chatting to them they won’t leave you alone and keep harassing guest for cigarettes, one night one of the locals (bob) sat in a guest area and was served drinks all night. We thought this was disgusting and made a point of telling the bar staff who just shrugged. Why should we be paying for the locals drink?

The food was of good quality however the dress policy was a joke, men can’t wear long shorts but women can and a vest top, I spoke to the manager and she just said rules are rules, maybe they can answer the following question why not make a fair policy that applies to both men and women? Why have a five star dress policy in a two star hotel? Surly it would make sense and lessens the changes of irate customers complaining.
The restaurants is only the positive point however when it rained the water would come pouring in and when birds would happily fly into the restaurant and eat the food from any empty plates. The restaurant is situated right next to the beach lovely views but too many flies especially when the local fishermen bury left over fish in the sand during the day, it actually encourages flies to breed (Oh dear). Again the dress code is crazy for breakfast we saw people coming in with a vest and shorts many times and nothing was said especially the locals on holiday, but if you were English the rules apply. The pool area is poorly maintained no staff clearing glass we saw the same glass left at poolside in the morning.

The entertainment was rubbish we had two nights out of seven, one singer who was good but arrived late and didn’t actually sing for the correct amount of time and some bloke who played the steel drums. It just seemed like everything was an effort for the managers who seemed disorganised and not interested. Surely to run a successfully hotel you need leaders and staff who have a can do approach sadly it’s not this hotel. The cleaners were a joke at 7am in the morning we could hear them talking loudly and who ever was cleaning our room needs to be sacked they didn’t even make the beds and just a test we left a dead cockroach by the bath just to see is they could be bothered to clear it up. No they didn’t in fact one left a dirty rag hanging up by the door, thankful nothing was stolen from our room but it just shows how disinterested or poorly trained the cleaners are, bath dirty, taps dirty, floor dirty, bed unmade etc.

The only good thing is that we met two really lovely English couples who were also disappointed with the hotel; in fact they were considering leave the hotel a week early I can honestly say the best meal we had was at the seahorse restaurant the quality of food and service was a totally different class. I’d say to the management either knock the hotel down and rebuild a new, the standards are so poor it not really fair to expect customers to pay so much for a holiday here, and please don’t even bother with a standard line ‘please come back in the future’ because we got no intention of booking another holiday at this hotel.

5  Thank wiseman41

I certainly agree that hotel is not a modern 1990s/2000 structure, however, it does offer the true 70s/80s Caribbean charm especially with all 125 rooms with a direct beach front (less than a minute to the beach), the addition of the new seaside restaurant, recently tiled and furnished entertainment area, largest swimming pool with swim up bar and remodeled lobby bar and area.

It seems obvious we were not able to meet your satisfaction and i would like to apologies for any discomfort experienced during your stay.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. The issues mentioned are very concerning to us and we will look into it with the intention to continue in our efforts to improve and enhance the product and services we offer.

I would like to thank for choosing the Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday, but more importantly to apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced during your stay.

Sincere regards

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We had read the reviews about this hotel after having already booked, and were somewhat apprehensive as some of them were far from complementary.
We arrived to a warm welcome from the reception staff and were handed a much appreciated cocktail . On first sight our room seemed a little basic in comparison to some of the hotels we have stayed in previously, but the gorgeous view of the sea from our balcony more than made up for this. The hairdryer was a bit ancient, but luckily I only have short hair, so this was not an issue. The bed was comfortable, (always a huge plus in our book) and the room proved to be more than adequate.
The pool is the largest in Tobago, although not very deep, but the sea is only a few yards from the hotel, so once again, no problem there.
I have read many different complaints about the hotel from past holiday makers, but I have to say that many of the gripes are due to unrealistic expectations. the sand is not golden on the beach but it is volcanic and I hardly feel that the Islanders can be held responsible for that! The hotel bar does close at midnight but as you have the opportunity to have as many drinks as you like throughout the day, I did not feel that this was unreasonable!
What really makes this hotel special is the relaxed atmosphere and the wonderful staff. Nothing is too much trouble and you are constantly acknowledged with a smile and a warm greeting.
Tobago is a small but beautiful island and it is still relatively unspoilt. If you want noise and glamour and overly plush surroundings, then Tobago is probably not the place for you. If like us you want to appreciate your surroundings and enjoy a quiet relaxed type of holiday, then this is the place for you. It must undoubtedly get more busy as the rainy season finishes, but I have the feeling that Tobago and Turtle beach will still remain relatively quiet and relaxed.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room if you can. Take your own travel hairdryer if you have long hair. Plugs a...
3  Thank helen h
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and for taking the time to post your review. It is pleasing to read that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us.

I note your comments on the minor deficiencies and as you would have noticed we are working and continuing in our efforts to improve the product and services we offer to you our valuable clients.

Once again, many thanks for choosing us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Had a very relaxing time - felt very chilled. Staff were very friendly - food was ok, althought they seem to cater for the nationality of the incoming guest that day - more local food would be good. will go back again, hopfuly next year.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank jan m
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Pleasing to know that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay with us and we thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday

Your comment on the food is noted, albeit we normally offer a few local selections daily, nonetheless, it will be addressed with my Chef to ensure there is consistency.

Once again, thank you for affording us the opportunity to offer our product and services to you, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you next year.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Planning on going back next year. I think you have to be a laid back person to really get the most out of this hotel. there were various shape/size plugs/sockets in the room and on the appliances. we ended up with the kettle and coffee maker only fitting in the plugs under the dressing table at floor level. Found these type of wacky things amusing but may drive some mad! The staff were mostly friendly and helpful (exception was one moody bar tender). food was good but a severe lack of Caribbean food. This is not a 4/5* hotel so don't expect it to be so. Good value for money. Also, if you end up in A&E as I did following an accident there is a brand new hospital on the island with extremely good health care and is free (speaking as an ex nurse I was very impressed). This hotel is really geared up for the all inclusive market so if you go anything else if you want to shop or eat it is all charged to the room. The shop was rarely open but ask at reception and they will arrange for someone to open it - however, whatever you buy they have to list it all by hand to charge it to the room as they don't take cash. The room was cleaned every day, the evening entertainment was enjoyable. A visit to Sunday School was great although you must stay after 12am as this is when it livens up.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your vacation and for taking the time to write your review, noting the few areas we can improve.

Most of all, I would like to thank giving us the opportunity to be of service to you and for loyalty shown by deciding to return next year.

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you in 2014

Leslie Amedeé

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!