“Beautiful Tobago”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
Kent
“Beautiful Tobago”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have just returned from a fabulous two week holiday in Tobago and it was a joy to be back at the Turtle Beach. This was my fourth visit to this hotel and as it was 3 years since my last visit i was pleased to see that the hotel has greatly improved. Firstly a huge thank you in particular to Jason and Raoul who were always smiling and charming at the pool bar and the lovely Glenis and Daine who looked after us so beautifully in the restaurant, these members of staff are a credit to the Turtle beach and really made a difference to our stay.
The hotel is clean and the gardens beautiful, the pool was pristine. The food was plentiful and varied and the cocktails were free flowing and delicious.
All the rooms are seafacing and our room had a fridge and Tv which was stocked when we arrived and re stocked free of charge during our stay on our all inclusive plan. The only minor issue we had was with the bed linen, the undersheet was not fixed to the mattress and so slipped in the night and the bed was so big (Super King) that the linen didnt fit and so we found ourselves in a tangle most morings!
Turtle Beach is a 3 star hotel but with 5 star caribbean charm, the most noticible improvement was the new beach front open air dining room, it really is beautiful but it was a shame that it was not used more, perhaps this was due to the hotel being quiet.
I was pleased to once again find Engine Bobb and Dillon Richards in their "office" just beyond the hotel wall. Dillon is an amazing local artist who paints on the sand and Engine makes beautiful bird feeders and gifts from bamboo, these two gentleman are always pleased to invite you to lime with them and so i would emplore every guest to go and say hello and enjoy their company.
Tobago really is a stunning unspoilt island with lots of hidden gems and so it really is essential to get out and explore the deserted beaches and lush rain forest and all it has to offer. We hired a car and used Sheppeys rentals which reception kindly arranged for us and the car was delivered to the hotel.
The Turtle Beach is a lovely relaxing and peaceful hotel, the evening entertainment was not every night during our stay and so i would recomend this for couples or people looking for rest and relaxation. If you feel like a bit more nightlife then i would recommend a trip to Sunday school to experience the Steel bands and local music.

We will return to Tobago as soon as we are able and will be returning to the Turtle Beach as we think it really reflects the true warmth of the West Indies and its people.

Room Tip: Room 202 is closest to the main hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LadyPKent
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you and thank you again for your loyalty, confidence and commitment to us, Turtle Beach by rex resorts. As you correctly stated the people makes the biggest difference and I am pleased that staff were able to do that again on your fourth visit.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review and your comments will most definitely help in propelling us in our efforts to continuously improve on what we offer to you our most valued REPEAT and first time guests.

Once again, thank for choosing Turtle by rex resorts as your referable holiday resort and lets hope we see you soon and hopefully not with a gap of a three year lay off - smile.

Thank you and see you soon.

Leslie Amedeé

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Polish first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I chose this resort as I had previously been to the Rex resort in Barbados so I expected a certain standard and I have to say I was not disappointed. We went on this holiday to totally relax and with this hotel we certainly did. The welcome was good and the room had a lovely view over both the pool and the beach. The staff were friendly and the room was cleaned everyday and towels changed everyday if you wished.There is some aspects of the facilities in the room that could be improved on and I did comment to the manager at the weekly get together- pillows are rock hard, mattress protectors need to be tied into place as I spent alot of my holiday at nights pulling the bottom sheet straight. There are beverages in the room but no milk- we discovered the next day that you can get fresh milk from the tea and coffee area near the bar but this needs to be stated in the literature in the room. The pool was great for me 3 ft 6 ins and was a great size, they were having a spring clean of the sun chairs whilst we were there as they certainly needed it. The food was good with a reasonable choice and we enjoyed the outside location for meals with the view over the beach. Overall I have to say that this hotel is needing some money spent on it so I will not rate it a four and if you need to be the bustle of life outside the hotel this is not the one for you. PS if you are looking for a trip you must go on the Island Girl catamaran it was worth it and costs 85 US dollars each.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues get a ground floor room as the stairs to the first floor can be stee...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank careline
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, but more importantly, for affording us the privilege of having you spend your vacation with us.

It is very much appreciated to hear that so many aspects of your stay with us was very satisfactory to you. Comments of the minor defects and failings has been taken on board, as it is always our intention to improve the product and services we offer to valued guests.

Once again, thank for choosing the Turtle Beach by rex resorts and for your loyalty shown in the Rex Resorts group of hotels. May this loyalty and confidence continue in the years to come with a repeat visit to Turtle Beach by rex resorts.

Leslie Amedee
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Came here 3 years ago and really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere, so we decided to give it another go. We don't normally return to places as we prefer new experiences. We weren't disappointed. OK it isn't a 5 star hotel so don't expect it to be. We went in the beginning of October, their rainy season, and the weather was mixed but still with plenty of sun - however the welcome from the hotel could not have been warmer. As it was their low season the hotel wasn't full but there was still a good variety of food on offer at each meal. What was a wonderful transformation though was that previously all meal were served in the restaurant but this year they have just built a dining area along the seafront - WOW - it has really improved the whole dining experience. FAB.

If you go, leave your stress at the airport. Tobagan poeple don't rush - be prepared to wait 1 minute for your drink - it won't kill you.

We have no doubt that we will return again. Thank you Turtle Beach for another lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearer to reception.
3 Thank Bugs-and-Bif
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
It's wonderful to know that you enjoyed your first visit so much that you had to revisit and the second time was just as enjoyable.

Thank you for affording us the opportunity to serve you again and we certainly hope there will be a third visit somewhere in the future.

We want to also thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Port of Spain
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Arrived on Wednesday 23rd October, 2013. Warm and friendly reception, complimentary drink on arrival then checked into room, (Clean, Comfortable). Great staff very accommodating to our needs (especially at the bar.....Jason, Polynesian guy and I think Michael). Special mention to Juliet always smiling and her warmth made our stay so much more enjoyable( give her a raise). Room service again GGRRREAT even though she got a cut on her finger Thursday morning in another room. The meals - Wonderful variety at Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner appreciated the choices available ( you are responsible for the extra pounds gained) LOL...........Thank you for your warmth and hospitality...normally stay closer to airport (Store Bay being my favorite beach) but did not miss it at all.

Lots of love to The Management and Staff.....Derick

1 Thank Derick J
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
We trust this will be the first of many visits to Turtle Beach by rex resorts, because it was certainly a pleasure serving you and having you engaging in regular discourse with staff and management was very much appreciated.

I would like to thank for acknowledging the efforts to deliver on our promise to you our valued guest. We will continue in our efforts and hope to see you in the not too distant future.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review

Toronto, ON
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed at Turtle Bay in April 2013. We arrived just shortly after lunch and although we got our room keys very easily, we were not given our wristbands until after 3pm so we did not get anything to eat until dinnertime, and there were no other restaurants within walking distance. When we asked we were told that we could pay extra to have lunch…I was so surprised as most resorts will at least let you have lunch if you have an early arrival. Apparently there were snack or afternoon tea available after 3pm, but we never found it.

The room was clean and adequate for our needs. It overlooked the beach which was nice as we had a great ocean view. We were at the far end of the resort so it was pretty quiet. The buffet was good for the most part, better selections at breakfast and dinner than lunch. The chef was pretty “creative” with some of the food combinations – we still laugh about the watermelon and breakfast sausage salad that was served one day at lunch…priceless!!

We only stayed for 3 days and 2 nights, so not much time to do any tours, but I think there were some excursions offered leaving from the town. You had to take a taxi everywhere however, as the resort was somewhat secluded from the town.

We enjoyed being so close to the beach, but I found the water a little cool and the surf could be a bit rough at times.

Altogether it was good for what it was…a place to sleep, eat and enjoy the beach, I would look at other options if I went back to Tobago.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
My apologize for the issue with the lunch, but the All Inclusive Package starts at the stipulated arrival time which is 3:00pm and if guest arrives before this time and the room is available it would be offered at no charge even if there is a standard minimal charge for early check-in . Nonetheless, I note your concern and we will review the policy.

I would like to thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and I am pleased that you had a enjoyable stay, with exception of the minor issue with the lunch.

We do hope you would reconsider when you next visit Tobago

San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I sent my parents to Rex Turtle Beach for there 28th wedding anniversary in September, the experience of booking this place wasn't stressful, the staff was very friendly Ms. Esther and Mr Lincoln were really helpful and were very patient in dealing with my many phone calls and request. When parents reached checking in was quick and efficient, there room had rose petals and it had wine and fruits,on the second night had candles and rose petals. My parents said the food was good and the staff was very friendly and helpful, the staff was full of smiles all the time they said it felt like a second honeymoon, my mom was moved to tears when the pannist played there wedding song and gave them the note my brother and i composed. Thanks very much

Room Tip: get the deluxe room king size bed
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tropical_Princess88
It was indeed our pleasure to be of service to your parents and knowing that we were able to impact so positively on such a special occasion for them.

Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for this special occasion and we certainly hope the next one will be spent with us.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We arrived at turtle beach hotel on 15th October and can honestly say it’s the worse hotel that we have ever stayed in. upon approval we was met by our rep who was very nice and directed us to the car parker where a chirpy looking guy was waiting for us.
Unfortunately his car boot wasn’t big enough to hold our luggage so we travelled in the car with the boot unopened. Then we were informed that he wanted to stop at a shop to buy some food, can you image our horror after a ten hour flight. When we finally got to the hotel; I thought the driver must have taken a wrong turning because the hotel looked like it like something out of a movie (cabin fever) and we couldn’t believe how poor it looked.

We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who gave us our key and offered a porter service if we wished. We were taken to our room which was so poor is should have been knocked down, I really don’t know how hotels get away with offering such poor value then charging customers the earth. Nothing worked hair dryer that looked like a bit of hover pipe stuck to the wall or the fridge that hummed a tune very five minutes.

The room was a 60’s throw back, so out dated the light didn’t work and we only had to TV channels, I called the reception when it was clear that we didn’t have a safe and was told that” only some rooms have a safe” the receptionist then claimed that it would take a few hours to check the bookings. The bathroom and floors were dirty and clear that the room hadn’t been cleaned.

We were moved to another room which was a little better then the first however the bathroom and floors were again dirty, the safe didn’t work and I was assured that this would be fixed quickly. Five days later the maintenance person bought it back and we weren’t even told, the general rule was that we had to be present when a safe needed to be fixed or bought back, regardless to say these people make up there own rules.

The hotel itself is very poor not even a 2 star and the pool area was a joke don’t know what its just over 3.6ft deep couldn’t even swim in it because it was to shallow. The water in the pool had loads of flies and jazzci was broken, we seriously considered transferring to coca reef resort because it was so bad. The pool bar had loads of flies swarming the glasses and drinks, surely management could have done something about this furthermore a number of customers complained about one of the bar waiters.

One night it appeared that he had taken an illegal substance; he really did look high and was swaying about a lot. It’s safe to say that we didn’t order anymore drinks from him that night. The locals are friendly be can be annoying they patrol the beach and will just hang over the edge watching everyone, if you start chatting to them they won’t leave you alone and keep harassing guest for cigarettes, one night one of the locals (bob) sat in a guest area and was served drinks all night. We thought this was disgusting and made a point of telling the bar staff who just shrugged. Why should we be paying for the locals drink?

The food was of good quality however the dress policy was a joke, men can’t wear long shorts but women can and a vest top, I spoke to the manager and she just said rules are rules, maybe they can answer the following question why not make a fair policy that applies to both men and women? Why have a five star dress policy in a two star hotel? Surly it would make sense and lessens the changes of irate customers complaining.
The restaurants is only the positive point however when it rained the water would come pouring in and when birds would happily fly into the restaurant and eat the food from any empty plates. The restaurant is situated right next to the beach lovely views but too many flies especially when the local fishermen bury left over fish in the sand during the day, it actually encourages flies to breed (Oh dear). Again the dress code is crazy for breakfast we saw people coming in with a vest and shorts many times and nothing was said especially the locals on holiday, but if you were English the rules apply. The pool area is poorly maintained no staff clearing glass we saw the same glass left at poolside in the morning.

The entertainment was rubbish we had two nights out of seven, one singer who was good but arrived late and didn’t actually sing for the correct amount of time and some bloke who played the steel drums. It just seemed like everything was an effort for the managers who seemed disorganised and not interested. Surely to run a successfully hotel you need leaders and staff who have a can do approach sadly it’s not this hotel. The cleaners were a joke at 7am in the morning we could hear them talking loudly and who ever was cleaning our room needs to be sacked they didn’t even make the beds and just a test we left a dead cockroach by the bath just to see is they could be bothered to clear it up. No they didn’t in fact one left a dirty rag hanging up by the door, thankful nothing was stolen from our room but it just shows how disinterested or poorly trained the cleaners are, bath dirty, taps dirty, floor dirty, bed unmade etc.

The only good thing is that we met two really lovely English couples who were also disappointed with the hotel; in fact they were considering leave the hotel a week early I can honestly say the best meal we had was at the seahorse restaurant the quality of food and service was a totally different class. I’d say to the management either knock the hotel down and rebuild a new, the standards are so poor it not really fair to expect customers to pay so much for a holiday here, and please don’t even bother with a standard line ‘please come back in the future’ because we got no intention of booking another holiday at this hotel.

5 Thank wiseman41
I certainly agree that hotel is not a modern 1990s/2000 structure, however, it does offer the true 70s/80s Caribbean charm especially with all 125 rooms with a direct beach front (less than a minute to the beach), the addition of the new seaside restaurant, recently tiled and furnished entertainment area, largest swimming pool with swim up bar and remodeled lobby bar and area.

It seems obvious we were not able to meet your satisfaction and i would like to apologies for any discomfort experienced during your stay.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. The issues mentioned are very concerning to us and we will look into it with the intention to continue in our efforts to improve and enhance the product and services we offer.

I would like to thank for choosing the Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday, but more importantly to apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced during your stay.

Sincere regards

Leslie Amedeé

Travellers are raving about these Plymouth hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!