“Wonderful holiday”

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My son and I stayed for a week over Christmas. I had been here 26 years ago and was pleased to see how little Tobago has changed. The hotel is rather dated but our room was large, light and comfortable with a balcony overlooking the beach. The staff were friendly and helpful. The pool and bar area were lovely and right next to the beautiful beach. The food was varied , tasty and plentiful. We had a very chilled and relaxing holiday and I hope I can return again soon.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Carol S
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Twenty six years on and we are still able to impact your vacation positively. Thank you for return even after so long and we do hope the next visit will not take that long.

I am indeed pleased that we were able to deliver on our promise of warm service, clean and relaxing comfort and good food.

Thank you for choosing us again and for taking time to write your review.

Regards,

Leslie Amedeé

Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I took 23 friends and family to my Wedding in September 1999. Rex had just started doing Wedding's and we may have been the first ones to get married there. I am so excited to be going back this time with my husband and 3 children and 4 family members. The hotel was clean, staff friendly and food delicious. We arrive April. See you soon Tobago.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Hamerh

We look forward to welcoming you again and will do all that is possible to make sure this visit is just or even better than the last.

Thank you for choosing us and for sharing your review.

Regards

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed at The Turtle Beach hotel in Tobago two years ago with my daughter and granddaughter and enjoyed it so much I am returning next week. We had the most stunning views of the ocean and Palm trees. The room was spacious and had everything we required including a fridge, it was cleaned daily. Loved the food with such a vast choice something for everybody. We enjoyed afternoon tea with fresh cake every day.Staff very helpful we had an emergency of a personal nature and one of the cleaners got her friend to bring in what we needed. Went on a boat trip to nowhere's land and loved it will do that again. Took a taxi to various places as so reasonable hope Frank is still there. I never return to a place I've been but I am on this occasion and can't wait.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Yvonne W
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

It is comforting to know that your first visit made such an impact that you have committed to returning and making Turtle Beach by rex resorts the first hotel you revisit.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you on your second visit and we will do all possible to ensure it is just as enjoyable as the first.

Thank you for choosing us and for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks - 11-25 December.

Flew with Monarch - OK flight, they've definitely improved since we last flew with them years ago. Flight was delayed, first due to the foggy conditions, then when 2 passengers were late boarding we missed the slot so ended up around an hour and a half late - a fact that the pilot mentioned several times throughout - thanking those that made the effort to turn up on time !!!!

Took a long time to get out of the airport at Tobago - expect much queuing !

The hotel is located in the centre of a long sandy bay. It is a beautiful location and the only hotel on the beach. It is a public beach but we were never really hassled (not like in Jamaica!), there are guys telling you about the trips you can go on but if you're not interested they leave you alone, Henry who makes shoes, belts, wallets, key-rings and fridge magnets is a must to visit - all very reasonably priced plus he is very knowledgeable about Tobago itself. There is also a guy who makes bird feeders on the beach - they are very really nice and different and definitely worth a look.

Hotel check in was OK - as others have mentioned the reception is quite dark and gloomy, we were offered the choice of a rum or fruit punch and then given our room keys.

We were first allocated room 202. This is 2nd floor (which didn't bother me) and right up by the pool/bar/reception - which did bother me. There was also an unpleasant odour around those rooms.

Went back to reception and after a brief wait we were moved to Room 251. About as far away from the pool etc as you could be which suited us fine. This is in a three-storey block. For the first 10 days or so we had no-one above us, and when we did you could hear them clomping about which was a bit disturbing when it was early in the morning. All the ground floor rooms in the block were being refurbished while we were there.

Room was absolutely fine. Bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept on, the room was kept clean throughout the holiday and the view from the balcony amazing. All rooms have sea views, the ones nearer reception have the pool and then the sea, but the further away you get it's just the sea.

The gardens were immaculate. Beautifully maintained and there were hummingbirds and other birds there.

Meal times were a bit of a shamble for the first few days. As people have mentioned there were fairly long waits to be seated - which was frustrating as once I counted around 17 empty tables waiting to be cleared and only about 9 occupied. Staff were very very slow at clearing tables meaning you had to wait. Plus there was no system about who was seated first so I saw one argument when someone complained someone that had been waiting a long time was still waiting, when others were being seated. This did improve after around 4 days with more staff working.

They have a new seating area which is part open sided and overlooks the beach - we didn't eat in there much, as most meals are taken in the main restaurant but it was lovely to sit and eat overlooking the beach/sea,

The food was OK - the usual choices at breakfast, lots of choice at other meals although I am a vegetarian and often there were no main course options - I was twice told to eat potatoes and vegetables. Now I am not really that fussy and did eat this, along with rice, for quite a few meals, it would have been nice to have a proper meal. I went to see the manager who said maybe they should provide a vegetarian option, but it didn't happen during my stay until my second "what vegetarian options do you have" conversation with the chef when he then did me something different - sadly this was only a few days before we came home as what he made was very nice. Food was a bit randomly labelled as "veggie" - sometimes potatoes would be, but some more traditional sounding stews wouldn't be, making it difficult to know if they were or not.

That said, I found the food itself tasted good, I never had problems with it running out like some have mentioned, the cauliflower mornay (sp?) was lovely and was my favourite buffet meal (there was also some nice cold pasta, corn on the cob and sliced jacket potatoes that night- all my faves)! And the coleslaw is lovely !

Entertainment was fairly low key but enjoyable - the limbo dancer (Ashton I think his name was) came weekly and was very good, there was also a steel drum band and a guy who played a steel drum to accompanying music.

Never had a problem getting served at the bar. All the bar staff were friendly and there are some cocktails included in the AI option which I thought was very good value.

There are plenty of trips if you want to go - we just went to Sunday School and another time jumped in a cab to the Hummingbird Park (don't know it's proper name) - that was really good - only cost £3 to get in and they have feeders so you get to see loads of birds plus a couple of small trails where you see other bird life and if you're lucky (we weren't) an Iguana !

Peter Cox comes to the hotel to give a short slideshow and talk about the animals of Tobago - I'd hoped to book a rain forest trip with him, but sadly he didn't make it to the hotel until a few days before we were due to go home but he's your man if you're interested in the flora/fauna of the island.

What else ? The dogs on the beach are lovely and very friendly. They seem to know who likes (feeds!) them and will leave you alone if you don't want to speak to them - most of the time they just sleep under the sunbeds of their new friends. Casper was my favourite - anyone who is going out there, please look out for him.

Think that's about it.

Sadly there were people complaining - the wrong colour sand, the wrong type of waves, the price they'd paid for the holiday, a few people insisted on eating all their meals in the new eating area which I guess made it difficult for the staff in terms of clearing up etc, but overall I really enjoyed my stay here, the few niggles I did have the staff did their best to sort out (though I am guessing changing the colour of the sand is probably beyond them!), we booked through Golden Caribbean who were a lot cheaper than other tour operators, and included 30kg of luggage as standard, so I would definitely recommend checking their prices.

Overall I'd say it is what it is. I found it a great value for money 3 star hotel in a lovely beachside location.

And on the flight home I'd say there were only about 60-70 people on a plane that carries 380 - plenty of room to spread out !!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Scruffywuffy100

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detail review.

I fully acknowledge our shortcomings, but I am pleased that we were able remedy them within an acceptable time frame.

Thank you for acknowledging the efforts of the staff, which goes a long way in motivating them to maintain the consistency in our service delivery.

It is appreciative to know that you felt you got your monies worth from your stay with us at Turtle Beach by rex resorts.

Once again, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your stay and for taking the time to write your review.

Hope to welcome you in the future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I chose this hotel even though some of the reviews were negative. I am really glad for this decision.
check in was poor I must admit, we waited a couple hours before our rooms were ready. but I would not hold it against the hotel as our treatment compensated for that.
The rooms were clean with comfortable beds, roomy, our porch open to a great landscaping garden and pool, with the sea unfolding behind.
The hotel was very clean and a beautiful environment. The staff courteous, pleasant and friendly.
My heart is full of praises for the meals, tasty, with a wide variety. I was blown away and overjoy
with the deserts and salad plates. BREAKFAST exceptionally tasteful, service courteous, no long faces, everyone smiling and ready to serve. LUNCH and DINNER great

Room Tip: rooms 107 or 108 fabulous downstairs, near lobby and dinning area.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank pearlie8
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Consistency is what we seek and your review goes a long way in assuring us that we could get it right and when we do the results are as you so rightly put "Great Experience"

I am pleased that we have been able to impact so positively on your experience with us and we do hope that this is your first of many more visit with us.

We will continue to work harder to improve and maintain the consistency that would impact positively on all our valued guests (Repeaters and First timers).

There is a lot of work to be done, but reviews like yours lets us know we can get it right.

Many thanks

Reviewed 28 December 2013

I wonder who has written the reviews that gave this place more than 2 stars and what background those have?

I have been to more than 70 countries in the world and by that several hotels. That is a good basic for comparison.

This is an all inclusive place. The problem is that you wont get what you paid for.

There are four servings:
1) breakfast
2) lunch
3) afternoon tea
4) dinner

First of all you need to queue to get chance of food.

When you hit the area where the food is it is not sure you get any.

If you really get any, you are most likely to get leftovers

The food is running out after 15 minutes of the serving. That creates a behavior existing in the -70s of Moscow: everybody is queuing to get food 10-15 minutes before the serving starts.

The quality of the food is good but it is not sure you get it.

If you come late you are destined to loose out on some food plus that you can watch about 8 people in the queue at the same time when you see 20 free tables. Reason: there is not enough time or staff to clean the tables.
It looks really messy. Not nice to have any meal with that surrounding.

So in the end you know you have already paid for the service and product but it never was delivered.

The buildings as such is from the -70's. For sure it needs renovation in order to get anything more than 2 stars.

One very strange behavior we experienced was the disappearing of towels. The first day we had 6 towels in difference sizes. Perfect.
After two days we were down to 4 towels.
Day three we had one small towel left to be shared by two persons.
After contacting front desk we to 3 more.
The day after we were down to 2 again.

From the aircon there was a muddy smell. Not good. Not good at all.

I can only recommend you to stay away from this place.

Room Tip: No fitness centre, no spa. A pool which we never tried because we wanted the ocean. The building i...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paresan

Saddened and disappointed that we failed and did not live up to the normal standard in terms of product and service offering.

Albeit we did experience some staffing challenges, however, food running out on the buffet is unacceptable and is been addressed with the Chef.

I am dismay regarding the Issue with the towels, because of the volume we have in stock this should not have happened and this has been addressed accordingly.

The issue with the a/c unit is unacceptable and should have been checked by the maintenance personnel checking the room before guest arrives.

I would like to apologize sincerely for letting you down and to assure you that this is not the accepted mode of operation, because I know we could do better.

Sincere regards

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks ad Brill time all staff amazing and lent us a wheelchair for the whole holiday gave us ground floor room as stairs were difficult fr my friend couldn't do enough for us beautiful location would recommend penny and june

• Stayed: December 2013
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

It was indeed our pleasure to serve you during your recent visit with us. It is wonderful and comforting to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and all your needs while at Turtle Beach by rex resorts were met by the staff to your satisfaction.

The fact that the hotel is fully wheelchair accessible makes it very easy to feel comfortable to move around the hotel (rooms,reception, pool, F& B Outlets, beach etc.) with limit or no fuss.

Once again, thank you and we do hope we will be presented with another opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Leslie Amedeé

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!