“Wedding weekend”

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed from April 4-7, 2014, to attend a wedding on April 5, 2014. It was my first visit to Turtle Beach but I'm unsure if I'll be back. Here are my experiences:

The Resort itself - Great setting, close to the beach. The beach itself wasn't fantastic but the scenery was great. the resort itself could use an upgrade, but I guess its the rustic look that may be appealing to visitors.

The Pool - Clean and well-laid out. Great for children as it isn't that deep, 3 or 4 ft, if I'm not mistaken.Has a swim up bar but the service is a bit slow, with more attention to the normal service.

The restaurant - Having breakfast beachside is always a memorable experience. However, during the 3 nights I stayed there, there weren't much variety at all times, and I noticed that some dishes were not replenished when it was finished from the trays. The fried fish was fresh and tasty, and the spiced mahi mahi and the sweet chili chicken was delicious. And breakfast was amazing as usual.

The service - The service at the restaurant was generally poor. There were alot of servers who didn't smile much, even if you smiled at them, which came off as very unfriendly. This should be improved. The service at the bar was generally ok, but the drinks were delicious considering the not so premium liquor at hand. The reception/lobby personnel should improve on their service also. I want to mention the cleaning staff with great admiration. they were all friendly and polite, considering they deal with dirty rooms etc. I must say that my room was in a bit unclean at one point because of an 'accident' the night before, consuming too many drinks and when I came back from breakfast, the room was spotless. Didn't see the cleaning lady, so I did not get to thank her. So thank you for your service in Room 222.

The wedding - The bride and groom was disappointed in the planning of the wedding (didn't get the flowers they wanted, requested bar-be-que on the menu, and didn't get it, and the videographer left as soon as the ceremony was over when he was supposed to stay a bit longer and charged an exhorbitant fee for that half hour or so). But it was memorable for them nonetheless.

Considering all this, I'm not sure if i'll be back.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor have easy access to the pool and beach. If carrying heavy luggage do n...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your short vacation and for taking the time to post your review.

I would like to apologize for obviously letting you down with the inconsistency in the service from the restaurant and Reception, who are normally very good.

I would like to thank you for acknowledging the efforts of the housekeeping staff.

Your comment on the lack of replenishing and variety in the food is a concern to us and this has been addressed with my Executive Chef.

I note your comments regarding the poor planning with the Wedding. I have since had discussions with our Guest Services Manager who is responsible for coordinating all weddings and he stated that all the issues highlighted were discussed and agreed with the Bride and Groom prior to the wedding, with the exception of the extended period for the videographer remain for the reception. The arrangement with the videographer was made unknowing to him and he did try to reach the gentleman after he learned of the arrangement and the fact that he had already left for a prior engagement. Nonetheless, I would like to apologize for any inconveniences posed by this. I did learn that the Bride and Groom did express their satisfaction with their stay at the hotel and wedding arrangements in a post wedding interview conducted by the Guest Services Manager .

Once again, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and more importantly, to apologize for letting you down in any way. We do hope this would not dissuade you from visiting us again in the near future.

Gneral Manager

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed at Turtle Beach with my friend in January to celebrate our 60 the birthday. This was my second visit as stayed here two years ago with my daughter and granddaughter. Reading some of the reviews it seems they stayed at a different hotel. Never had a long wait to be seated in the restaurant and the food was tasty and varied. Pool was spotless . Our room was clean and spacious and cleaned daily.staff were friendly and helpful when I asked Esther for a kettle one was in my room on my return. Dain was particularly helpful in the restaurant. There was only one male member of staff who made us feel unwelcome and he worked behind the bar. All other staff were faultless. Bought some made to measure sandals of Henry on the beach a lovely man. Also t shirts of Lorna.Will visit again I have no doubt about that.There was not a fitness or spa centre but cannot remove them from post below

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yvonne W
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

It was indeed our pleasure to welcome you on your second visit to Turtle Beach by rex resorts. Thank you for showing such confidence and loyalty to us.

We would like to thank you for taking the time out to review the hotel and it is wonderful to read that we were able to meet your satisfaction at the second time of calling. Your acknowledgement of the effort put in by the staff is very much appreciated and will be conveyed to them.

I would like to apologize for the discomfort encountered during your interaction with the particular bartender, who seem to have been somewhat of a repeat offender. The necessary measures has been taken to address this accordingly.

Once again, we thank you for the commitment and loyalty and look forward to your return visit in the not too distant future, so we could warmly welcome you.

Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Having read many reviews we arrived with a little trepidation.. Yes we waited for our room but are not the sort of people to judge so soon, asked for a first floor (if poss), were given ground, still ok.... Just as we were about to unpack very nice guy from reception asked us if we would mind changing to a higher level as an older couple had arrived requesting one. No problem as it's what we asked for (communication with travel company requests always good). Anyway, we got what we wanted! Room was fab, 1st floor, just overlooking the lovely Henry who makes fantastic sandals, belts etc, working under his mango tree! Never waited in line for a table at mealtimes although understand it was busier the week before, so there were short waits! Food was pretty good really, so much choice, I don't understand anyone complaining. I am not, or should I say, I was not much of a fish eater before this holiday but the fish was so fresh and tasty I ate some most days! Most of the staff were very friendly, although the odd one, on the bar, unusual name, no matter how big a smile I gave him or how polite and friendly, his attitude was awful! Lots of people said the same, he should not be working with the public, letting the hotel down big time!! So many staff, couldn't mention them all or thank them enough for their hard work and willingness to help! The lovely dogs were never a problem, friendly if you wanted to be friends, I'm an animal lover and enjoyed their company early morning walks on the beach where they all played, delightful! They say that people make a holiday and I have to say we met two fab couples, Andy and Alison, aka Stumpy and Janet, Deb and Del you made our holiday!! A&A having been many times before took us all over the place in the jeep, deep sea fishing, a meal at the Sea Horse for my Tony's birthday, delicious and Sunshine Restaurant, near the rainforest, backdrop to die for and delicious local food!! Can't thank them enough! Tuna man, day out with him was amazing, showed us coves and held our hands whilst snorkelling, saw baby turtles, schools of squid by the 100's it was incredible. Best bar by far.. The Boat House, one bar, one cove, picture book perfection! Turtle Beach has the best location, it was interesting to see the fisherman and learn a bit of history about the place from the informative and very kind Henry who not only made my roman sandals but also bought us fruit from his garden! What more can you ask for. Turtle Beach we will be back and we will tell everyone! THANKYOU!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 116maria
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and for affording us the opportunity to offer our product and services to you.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on your experience of the product and services that was provided at the hotel.

It is indeed a pleasure to know that you were generally satisfied with the quality and standard of the room and food. Also, the location and service from the staff, with the exception of the one bartender.

I would like to apologize sincerely for the discomfort experience and I assure you this has been addressed accordingly with the particular individual and all other bartenders, so there may not be any reoccurrence. In addition, I would like to apologize for the initial mix up with the room allocation, because normally we do ensure that our guests request are met once there is availability.

Once again, thank for choosing the Turtle Beach by rex resorts and we look forward to your next visit, which we hope would be very soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We loved it here. The location of the hotel on a long curved unspoiled bay was perfect and the hotel did not encroach on the natural beauty of the bay at all. Although the buildings have seen better days, for us this somehow added to the laid-back Caribbean vibe. In our view the whole place had a great feel about it.

The restaurant overlooks the sea with lovely views down the beach in both directions. It was great to watch the fishermen haul their nets up the beach full of fish, which usually took more than an hour, in competition with what seemed like all the pelicans, laughing gulls and frigate birds for miles around. Quite a spectacle! Service in the restaurant could have been faster and more efficient, but we were on holiday and it was not a problem to have no rushing about. We found it very relaxing. Although the food was all in the form of a help-yourself buffet, we enjoyed every meal. Most meal times there was something good for non meat eaters too.

Our room was on the middle floor of the three storey block at the far end of the resort (the other two blocks nearer the pool, reception and restaurant are two-storey). It was large, had a huge comfortable bed, modern bathroom fitments and flat-screen tv.

The island is beautiful and relatively unspoiled by tourism. Being so close to South America means there is an abundance of wildlife compared to other islands, particularly birds, which is a real bonus if you are interested in such things. A local wildlife expert gives a talk in the hotel lobby every week which is very informative. Most of the local people are great, smiley and friendly.

The one negative aspect of our stay: I couldn't agree more with a previous review on the reserving of sun loungers by guests. It specifically says in the resort information in the room that sunbeds may not be reserved and are for the equal use of all guests. We found that if we were not on the beach by 6.30 a.m. ready to pounce with our towels there was usually no chance of getting a sunbed near our room, or anywhere else on the beach, for the rest of the day. I can only assume that many guests must set their alarms for just after sunrise in order to rush down to the beach to claim their bed. Most of the reserved sunbeds were unoccupied for hours during the day, sometimes up until lunchtime, then for hours over lunch, but it is obviously an unspoken rule that once towels are laid down the sunbed is out of bounds to anyone else. One couple even left their towels overnight every night, in effect reserving them for the whole duration of their stay. There were always some available by the pool, but they were without shade, or near the bar where the music was usually quite loud, which is fine if you like that, but if you prefer being on the beach where it is quieter there is little chance of getting a sunbed after the sun is up.

All in all though, this is a great place to stay and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea. Upper floors have more privacy but you can't see the view so easily sit...
2  Thank beeswing2

Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and for taking the time to post such a detailed review on your experience during your stay with us.

It is fantastic to know that we were able to achieve our fundamental goal, which is meeting your satisfaction, with the food on offer, quality and standard of the room and location.

Your comments on the restaurant service and Sun Loungers are noted and will be attended to accordingly.

It was indeed our pleasure having you stay with us and we certainly hope that there will be many more visits, when we could extend a warm welcome and offer our customary Repeaters packages.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I recommend highly Turtle Beach Hotel by Rex. Staff is very friendly, rooms are spacious and clean, food is good. What made our trip special were Paradise Tours managed by friendly and reliable Mr.Tony Roth. You can purchase them right in the hotel lobby for very good price and no pressure.Our driver/guide Geewan would pick us up daily, never late and always in great mood. Our excursion could not have been better. Geewan was accommodating, knowledgeable with great sense of humor, never tired of answering our questions and excellent driver! He even brought for us delicious samples of his wife cooking!! I do travel a lot but I never felt such a genuine friendliness anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank H1a2o

Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and for taking the time to post a review on the product and services offered.

It is wonderful to hear that you were pleased with the food, room and services from the staff, and we will continue in our efforts to maintain this standard and improve where necessary.

Thank you for acknowledging the service delivery from the Tour Company located in the hotel lobby and your salutations will be conveyed.

Once again, our sincere thanks for affording us the opportunity and we do hope to see you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We returned again for our 27th stay at this hotel which we know has the best hotel location on the island. It has a 3 star Carribean rating which we consider is correct. The staff are generally very friendly and enjoy having a laugh with the guests of various nationalities. Although the hotel has been there for many years and has signs of needing maintenance, much has been done in the last couple of years to improve facilities. All Inclusive tariff is good value for cost of vacation. The rooms are basic and clean, and are maintained daily by a team of room service staff. Guests who have any query about what they feel may be needed to suit their situation in the allocated room, only have to refer the matter directly to reception to obtain satisfaction. The food provided gives various options and is self service selection of options. This year we found options not as good as previous years and some options were not satisfactory to our taste. This year we did not have option of mashed potatoe and not regular option of chipped potatoes which we feel also benefits children. It was mainly rice and pasta and chunked potatoe with various cooked meat and fish options. We put this down to a recent change of Head Chef. People that prefer their vegetables more cooked and not almost raw, like us, they should get a separate plate of cooked vegetables arranged by request to one of the Chefs. Sometimes the restaurant runs out of butter and supplies the alternative of margarine which does not suit some peoples diet. Marmalade is not often available at breakfast, but a jar can be bought for personal use at local supermarkets and kept in your room. The new beach side restaurant is appealing but becomes almost a wind tunnel when the wind increases to more than a breeze and not comfortable when a rain shower arrives with the wind. It has only recently opened and can have more work done to aid the complete comfort of guests. However the old main Kiskadee restaurant is still available for use, and maybe shall be returned for use for the evening main meal. We have no doubt that this would also be helpful to the restaurant staff who clear and reset tables. Entertainment of an evening is generally typical of Carribean style music and activity with inclusion of well known British style music. The pan music players are well received. We so much enjoy the relaxing facilities of this friendly hotel. We make sure that the hotel management is kept aware of any criticism we wish to make and what is heard from other guests. The management does respond when advised.
We were very impressed with the superb attitude and natural helpfulness of the restaurant service given by Dain, a relatively new employee. He is worthy of recognisition as a Senior member of the restaurant staff. Turtle Beach Hotel, please do not lose him.
We have rebooked to visit this hotel again next year and look forward to return of restaurant food options we feel meets the liking of the majority of guests from European countries.

Ted and Maureen

Room Tip: Ground flooor rooms appear cooler and have patio onto garden and are more suited to persons that hav...
2  Thank TedMaureen

Thank you for unwavering loyalty and commitment to the staff of Turtle Beach by rex resorts and for making this your preferred holiday resort for the past twenty seven (27) years. Your loyalty serves as a feather in our cap that we are doing something right - thank you, thank you

We would also like to thank for you for your insightful observations, suggestions and recommendations, as we continue in our efforts to improve the product and services we offer.

The few concerns highlighted has been addressed respectively and thank you for acknowledging the undaunted efforts of the staff.

Once again, thank you for your loyalty and commitment and we certainly look forward to extending a warm welcome on your 28th visit.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed for 1st 4 nights in Tobago at Turtle Beach. Lovely place, very friendly staff, good facilities, plenty of food and drinks as I opted for the All Inclusive package.
Cleaners were lovely as were dining, kitchen and reception staff. They put me in touch with a great Taxi driver Derik Frank who looked after us whilst we stayed in Tobago.
Would choose Turtle beach and Castara again.

Room Tip: All rooms have a seaview so nothing much can go wrong.
1  Thank Anaru M
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

It is wonderful to know that your stay with us was a pleasurable one and we would like to thank for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your short vacation.

Taking the time to post your review on the hotel is very much appreciated.

Thank you for acknowledging the efforts of the staff and we will continue in our efforts to ensure the consistency in the services are maintained. It is comforting to know that we were able to deliver on our strengths, which are warm and friendly service, good food and drinks, cleanliness and fantastic location.

We do hope this will be your first in many more visits to Turtle Beach by rex resorts, so we could offer a warm welcome on your return.

Leslie Amedeé

Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!