“Lazy Magic” 4 of 5 bubbles

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
“Lazy Magic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We've just returned from a two week stay here. Friends of ours have stayed several times & persauded us to go with them. Previous reviews have been mixed so we weren't sure what to expect, plus this was our first visit to the Caribbean.
The hotel needs a face-lift, some tlc. Our bedroom was large, having two 3/4 beds with en suite shower room & dressing area, but the furnishings were tired & the floor was awful. More effort (any effort? ) could be made to keep the mosquitos down, even if only in the bedrooms, so I'd recommend taking a plug-in insect killer or spray. There are UK voltage 3 pin plugs as well as US 2 pin sockets in the bedrooms & they do provide a basic hairdryer. We were on the ground floor & had a small patio area which had a table & 2 chairs + a drying/hand rail.
Some of the staff were surly & unresponsive, others were friendly & shared a laugh & a joke - so, a lot like being in the UK really! What was most definitely not like the UK was the weather. Every day was sunny, breezy, occasionally cloudy & always hot. The swimming pool is very large with a swim-up bar. We felt it could have done with being a foot deeper, it's 3'6" all over. There is a separate pool for small children. My husband found it too shallow to swim comfortably. The pool floor is rough, I 'filed' my toe nails on it a few times. Having said all that, I spent a long time in it, it was never crowded, I loved it.
The meals were buffet style, usually adequate choice including a veggie option. It was always tasty.
I liked the open plan colonial style lobby but my favourite area was the recent addition of a new restaurant bordering the beach. Meals overlooking the Caribbean sea, watching the magnificent Frigate birds & Pelicans helping the local fishermen clear up the days catch - what's not to like?
Turtle Beach is so named for a reason & during our stay several came ashore to lay their eggs. We were privileged to see three of these Giant Leatherbacks, one of which occurred during the afternoon which is fairly rare. I was delighted to see teams of conservationists, along with some locals, helping to ensure the safety of these fabulous endangered creatures, preventing the more selfish, stupid members of the public from disturbing the 'ladies' whilst they went about their business.
Just the other side of the hotel's balustraded wall, in the shade of a leafy tree or two, Engine Bob & Dillon have their 'workshop' & ply their trade. Carpenter & artist respectively, they create beautiful images on bamboo, calabash & canvas. Although separate from the hotel, they are an asset to it.
There are several things I could nit-pick about this hotel, but results speak for themselves. We arrived world weary & stressed, then this place worked its lazy magic on us, soothing away tensions, slowing down our pace of life & casting a charming spell I had not expected. Surely this is what a holiday is all about! It speaks for itself when you find people have been returning to stay here year after year, some of them, including our friends as long as 25 years.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank JandMDavies
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and for trusting the judgement and recommendation of your friends.

We would like to thank for taking time out to post such a detailed review on the product and services offered at the hotel during your stay.

I would agree that there are areas in the hotel that do need a face-lift and as mentioned in your review you would have seen some of the work that has been done i.e. the newly built seaside restaurant, new furniture in the other dining room, but more importantly, the progress that has been made will continue.

We note your comment on the pool, but safety is paramount in our decision to build the pool at this depth, which is also a recommended depth in terms of the health and safety requirements for the industry..

The comment on the mosquitoes is noted, but this being the tropics the issue with mosquitoes is forever a challenge even with the room attendants spraying the rooms daily. Nonetheless, we will continue in our efforts deal with this situation.

I am sudden by the comment regarding the attitude of some of the staff, because the warm of the service generally is what we strive for and demand from everyone. No doubt this will be addressed in our team meetings and training.

It is great to hear that you had the added privilege of seeing the yearly (March - August) special feature of the Leatherback turtles coming directly in front of the hotel to lay their eggs.

In spite of some of the minor issues Its wonderful to hear that we were able to impact your holiday in a very positive way and in your own words, which says it all "it work its magic of drawing you in over time" and that exactly what Turtle Beach by rex resorts is about., so thank you.

Once again, thank for trusting your friends and choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and we certainly hope that you have been converted to become a return customer, so we could warmly welcome you on your return with our customary Repeaters Package.

Leslie Amedeé

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Polish first
South Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed at turtle beach hotel as a last minute holiday, didn't know where we were staying until we arrived and can't fault hotel, amazing location, beach front rooms, superb food, cleanliness excellent, staff really friendly and helpful , got SMTP see a giant turtle one night laying her eggs, the hotel really makes an effort to look after these wonderful creatures, they turn all the lights and music off as a respect to the turtles to give them peace and quiet when they are laying their eggs,
Would live to return again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank joncot
We are delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay at Turtle Beach by rex resorts.

Even more gratifying to know you were very satisfied with the food, cleanliness, location and service from the staff, all the attributes that sums up what we are about at Turtle Beach by rex resorts.

We would like to thank you for choosing us and for affording us the pleasure of offering our product and services to you. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we do look forward to welcoming you again very soon where we could extend a warm welcome.

Chaguanas, Trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I visited the resort with my family for a mini vacation. The place is quiet lovely and very well kept. The food I must say was quite tasty although I was expecting the menus to be a bit more on the local side to include dishes such
coconut bake and crab and dumplings. On my final day there though, I was very displeased about an incident that occured.The air condition unit in our room malfunctioned making loud noises the night before,causing it to leak and wet the entire area under it. The night's rest wasn't the best as a result.My care free one and a half year old daughter slipped , fell and hit the back of her head to my horror .I was totally furious and contacted the front desk as i tried to settle her down.The maintenance staff came and dried the area and assured me that someone would service the unit
as soon as possible.E ventually, I spoke to the manager, Mr Lincoln Scotland, who offered to have
a doctor come in and look at my daughter.I
was too furious to think straight so I just checked out without taking up the offer.Whilst checking
out Mr Scotland took my contact number to extend a courtesy call to me to ensure that my daughter is okay.That was on the 1st of May.Today is the 8th of May and I am yet to receive a call
from Mr.Scotland.That lack of courtesy is an extreme disappointment.I guess my money has already been spent so my emotions and my daughter's health no longer matters.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Chinyere29
Thank for you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for family holiday and for taking time to post your review.

It is unfortunate what has happened with your daughter and we certainly hope she is alright. I have spoken to Mr. Scotland since my return and he affirmed that he did call on a two occasions a number given to him by the child's mother and left a message. I would like to apologize for our failing, because there should have been additional follow up calls until we established contact. We do hope that your daughter is fine and you would accept our sincerest apologizes for the slip up on our part.

Your comment about the food is acknowledged in terms of a greater variety of local items on the menu. We do offer one of two local items on the menus for every meal period, however, there must be a balance in the menu to satisfy our diverse clientele. Nonetheless, my Chef has taken your comments on board.

Thank you for acknowledging the condition that the property is in and the way it is being maintained. We will continue in our efforts to maintain the standard, while continuing with the necessary improvements.

Once again, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and please accept our sincere apologies for our falling with regards to your daughter.

We do hope that you will visit again in the future so we could prove that we could do better in regards to our attention to detail.

Sincere regards

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We really enjoyed our time at the Turtle Beach. The location was beautiful as were the grounds and it was a joy to witness two turtles laying their eggs during our stay. The new beachside restaurant was fabulous and the food was generally good. Our rooms were fairly dated but contained all we needed including very efficient air conditioning and a HUGE bed. I think there are parts of the hotel which need updating but recognise that this has to be part of an ongoing improvement programme. Most of the staff were friendly and cheerful although some of the bar staff were a little surly. The cocktails however were a highlight for me!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gilkay1965
It is gratifying to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and product and service on offer were satisfactory to you.+

I certainly agree that there are improvements needed to done and I am pleased to hear that you acknowledge the improvements (new restaurant and tiling of the corridor to name a few ) that have taken place, while recognizing the progress of improvements are ongoing.

I am pleased to know that you had the pleasure and privilege of witnessing the Leatherback Turtle coming to the hotel shores to lay their eyes.

We would like to thank for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and for taking the time out to post your review. We do hope you will afford us another opportunity to offer our services to you in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts is located right on the beach in the centre of Courland Bay, about a 20 minute drive from the international airport at Crowne Point. We arrived mid morning and were grateful to the general manager for getting us into a room by noon, ahead of the 3pm check-in time.

The brown sand beach gets quite hot by noon, so bring your flipflops for the short walk down to the ocean for a swim. The waves crashing on the beach at night were very soothing. We found it very exciting to go for an early morning walk on the beach, only to discover that turtles had visited during the night to lay their eggs in the sand just above the high water mark. Sellers on the beach were not intrusive.

Breakfast and lunch were served in a wonderful open air room right on the beach. Dinner was served in a closed room and management requested a dress code for dinner (collared shirts, long pants and closed toed shoes for men, no mini shorts or beach sandals for women). Food was adequate; we most enjoyed the fresh fish daily.

This is an aging facility, but housekeeping visited daily to clean and to spray the room for mosquitoes. The water temperature in the shower was very unreliable and the grouting was not clean. The dive shack/water sports centre was not well manned. Some of the hotel staff were not particularly friendly, although tipping tended to change that. We found it unfortunate that the bartenders tended to play music for themselves and not for their guests (it was not a young crowd).

Bring lots of sunscreen and insect repellent and be prepared to enjoy the beach and the ocean!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second and third floors have an amazing view of the ocean, but you can walk right out o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz M
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay at the hotel.

It is great to hear that you were pleased with what was on offer at the hotel generally. However, the comment regarding the inconsistency from some of the staff in terms of the warmth of the service is a concern and more so, the fact that tipping seem to influence a positive change. This will certainly be addressed, because this is not our mode of operation. The friendliness of the service is key to what we provide and should only be influence by our genuine desire and training mandate to create an environment of warmth and friendliness that cultivates better guests and staff interaction.

Your comments regarding the bartenders playing music to suit their preference is noted and has been addressed.

Once again, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and we trust that you will visit us again in the near future.

Billericay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have just returned from a week at this hotel and it couldn't have been better. When we arrived we were greeted by a very cheery receptionist who checked us in and arranged for our bags to go to our rooms. We had second floor rooms with a view over the beach, it was clean and well equipped and remained that way throughout the holiday. Bed linen and towels being changed every day. The food was good and meals to suit most tastes, the staff were attentive and polite and provided drinks from the bar for all meal times. I can really say that our stay was enjoyable and we were able to get WIFI in our rooms as well as in the communal areas, which was good as I had left my phone at home by mistake. The icing on the cake as far as we were concerned was the Turtles that came up onto the beach at night, if you want the staff will ring you in your room to let you know that they are there. Yes I will definitely be returning to this hotel. Thank you all for a great time!

Room Tip: You won't need it all rooms face the sea.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Janetteann
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
it is comforting to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and the product and services on offer were satisfactory to you.. Your acknowledgement of the efforts by the staff to deliver on our promise is very well received.

As such, we would like to thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and for taking the time out to review the product and services provided during your stay.

We are happy to know that your had the privileged opportunity to see the Leatherback turtle come up directly in front of the hotel to lay their eggs, which is a fantastic feature throughout the nesting season March to August every year.

Once again, thank you for choosing us and we certainly look forward to your return visit when we could warmly welcome you and offer our customary Repeaters package.

kindest regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Arrived and were not expecting to much as it's only a 3 star resort. However the location is amazing and the view from our balconied room was jaw dropping. The beach was literally a stones throw from the balcony, and a big stone at that. The food was great, all local produce with lots if fresh catch of the day, which, if you get up early enough you will see being brought up to shaw right outside.
On the whole the staff were very friendly, however some of the bar staff we're a bit gruff and depending on who got made each cocktail completely different.
We were worried to book with independent tours guides that pitched for business on the beah by the pool but were really impressed with the amazing Keith of A team tours who we went back to for everything we did - snorkelling, fishing, rainforest tours Etc. All in all an incredible place to visit, don't hesitate. One last thing, when booking a taxi ask for Elvis, local bloke and great guy.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Juliewildestratford
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday.

Its wonderful to hear that you were very satisfied with the product and services in the hotel and also the auxiliary services provided by the local taxi driver and Tour Guide.

Your effort in taking the time to write a review about your experience with the product and services offered at the hotel during your stay is very much appreciated and thank you for acknowledging the efforts of the staff to deliver warm and friendly service.

Your comment regarding the inconsistency from the bartenders as it relates to the service and the quality of product provided is concerning to us and I can assure you this will be addressed.

Once again, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and for taking the time to post your review.

We do look forward to seeing you in the near future when we could offer the customary warm welcome and our Repeaters Package.

Leslie Amedeé
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!