“More than we expected after reading some reviews.”

Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Plymouth
Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
“More than we expected after reading some reviews.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife & myself arrived at Turtle beach on the 19th March, staying for 2wks. The welcome by Collin on reception was one of the warmest welcomes we have received anywhere (he was one of the staff that made our stay so memorable). That was followed by a similar welcome from the manager & his assistant manager at the welcome party. The room was excellent considering the age of the property, it was cleaned daily, any additional requests such as the mini bar being stocked or a kettle only involved calling or asking nicely at reception. My wife spoke to the maids who cleaned the room daily & explained it was my birthday, that resulted in me returning from a day out to a beautifully decorated room, with flowers & a fantastic display on the bed made from towels, two swans, blue obviously! (that morning started with a great sparkling breakfast on our balcony, not a bad start to your 50th!) During our stay we did have an issue with one particular bar staff, because every other member was warm & welcoming & trying their hardest to ensure everyone had a good time I felt it was only fair to have a quiet word with management, rather than wait until I get home & post negative comments on here; it was dealt with swiftly and professionally. Generally the bar tenders, especially Mark and Bert, were great at making sure you had a good time; reception staff were always really helpful, pleasant, friendly and couldn't do enough for you...restaurant staff were faultless and contributed to a great stay - DAINE was always helpful, from stoking the minibar on our first night to making sure we had drinks in the restaurant and the bar, always with a smile...THE CHEF was amazing, not only did he make sure there was a good variety of food available for guests, he did a mean BBQ, the a la carte was definitely well worth experiencing with service second to none AND he was a genuinely friendly chap and certainly contributed towards our good memories! We mainly chose to stay at TB wanting to see leatherbacks - we were unsure if we would get to see any due to it being early in the season.....we saw 4! all coming up on Turtle beach in front of the hotel, those experiences were incredible moments and gave us some special memories - Turtle Watch volunteer Scoutie is brilliant! We arranged a private speed boat trip with Brandon after using his taxi services (the guy can arrange any activity and really cares that you have a good time), we went on the boat Whatever with Kurt as the Captain; he was also great, took us to some beautiful places and made sure we enjoyed the whole day - highly recommend you speak to Brandon and Kurt if this is your thing, you wouldn't regret it..... Turtle Beach is a good long stretch of beach, it was really quiet while we were there (March/April), some days the only other people were specks in the distance; it was a through fare which does bring some 'traffic' (ie cows passing by once a week and a man who wants to sell mangos that you are best off avoiding); Henry, the shoemaker, is generally under the mango tree, which he planted 25 years ago, making wonderful leather sandals, you can't come home without a pair! There are also ladies selling shawls, tshirts, knitted shorts and hats located on the beach and you'll also find Engine and Dillon at their stall on the beach near the hotel pool - the talented and creative Engine makes items out of bamboo (bird feeders, wind chimes, ashtrays etc), Dillon the artist captures Caribbean images on canvas and bamboo (again, make room in your case!), they also like to make sure you are happy and safe during your stay. We felt we enjoyed the authentic Caribbean experience, considering the 3star rating we felt we received 5star treatment, I'm able to say this as a delayed flight resulting in us staying at Coco Reef for one night, obviously a newer hotel with 5star rating, to us, lacked the character and charm of Turtle Beach, a much less personal experience at Coco Reef, we then ended up at the Accra Beach Hotel, Barbados following more flight problems and again, being in a beautiful suite at a 5star resort, didn't to us feel as good as Turtle Beach...I think anyone who complains about Turtle Beach are probably happier at the less personal, bigger, resorts. Generally Turtle Beach is definitely worth visiting - great location, friendly staff, good food and drink, a place where you can chill out and unwind or make the most of the things to do (Quad biking, Zip lining at A&R Campsite close to the hotel, ask reception and they will make some calls for you, really good value fun day out; Adventure Farm, short taxi drive away, again reception will arrange this, where you can see, up close and personal, many humming birds, mot mots and others, lots of tropical flora and fauna, well worth a visit, shopping malls, beautiful scenery,excursions to places such as Little Tobago, very long drive in a minibus on an excursion, much quicker to drive yourself there to Speyside where you can catch a glass bottom boat then a climb up Little Tobago, great experience, Gemmas Treehouse Restaurant do a great salad, The Rainforests and Waterfalls worth a visit, as is the Cocoa plantation, House of Pancakes.. Pigeon Point and NYLON POOL are a must... plenty of historical sites to visit... not a bad island to drive around, Sunday School is a fantastic party atmosphere and excellent for the older, hard of hearing although I have a suspicion it could be heard on Venezuela the music was incredible and if you tire of the land based activities and places all the adventure of the sea is just waiting for you!); the only true negative of our experience, which in no way reflects on TB, was booking some excursions, a trip on a glass bottom boat at Speyside to Little Tobago which involved a 5 hour round trip in a minibus and our planned excursion on the catamaran Island Girl never happened, being postponed several days, in the end we were told they cancelled due to lack of ppl, we saw it going by TB at least 3 days so knew it was out so that was disappointing... Think that's about covered it! Enjoy your stay....

Room Tip: BE NICE!!! Doesn't cost anything but gives a lot...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Debzzz1
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and for posting such an in-depth review.

Clearly you took the time to experience the hotel and the island to the fullest capacity and in the final analysis, we were able to meet your satisfaction with a fantastic location, good food, warm service and in a clean environment.

I do apologize for the one bartender who went off script, but pleased that it was brought to our attention and resolved immediately.

Thank you for acknowledging the efforts of the team in delivering warm, prompt and friendly service consistently during your stay.

It's wonderful to hear the efforts of the ancillary service providers (Engine, Dillon, Kurt. Brandon) are being acknowledged, because they play a very big part in the Turtle Beach by rex resorts and Tobago experience.

Once again, we would like to thank you sincerely for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Leslie Amedeé

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Polish first
Chelmsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have read many reviews on this hotel and can only say that the place is simply great. The food, the location, the staff and cleanliness are second to none. Drinks are plentiful and cocktails delicious. The beach location is simply one of the best I have experienced. The fact that the hotel is an older buillding is irrelevent and adds to the charm of the place. This hotel is a credit to the management and provides an excellent service.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea. The farther from reception the quieter. But in any case its quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
It is wonderful that you chose Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and we are indeed very thankful.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on the product and services you experienced at the hotel during your stay.

Fantastic location, good food, intimate warm service and cleanliness are exactly what we strive for at Turtle Beach by rex resorts and to hear we have delivered on all counts speak volumes for the efforts of the staff.

We would like to thank you for acknowledging their efforts and we will continue to strive for the improvements and consistency in order to meet the satisfaction of our valued guests.

Once again, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and we look forward to extending a warm welcome to you on your return visit, which we hope will be shortly.

East Lothian, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

hotel is in a good location, nice beach with a strong current!
we had an upper floor room which was very dark even with all the lights on
the hotel is in need of some serious renovation
some of the staff were good, some were slow, and a few gave the impression they did not want to be here.
food selection was small but decent.
the new beach restaurant was closed for maintenance which was disappointing, so we were left with one restaurant and the pool bar, plastic glasses for the duration of your vacation is not good.

this place is like a rough diamond - I would return if it were polished up….

Room Tip: take plenty mosquito repellent
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pans_Paul
Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on the product and services offered at the hotel during your stay.

The comment on the physical condition of the hotel is noted and we will continue in our efforts to make the necessary improvements.

I would like to apologize for the inconsistency in the service delivery from the staff and this will certainly be addressed.

We do note your comments on the closure of the seaside restaurant for a couple of days and do apologize for any inconvenience caused. However, it was necessary to do these maintenance works in order to present a better and well maintained product for you the customer.

The issue with the plastic glasses used at the pool area during the day is more a safety measure. With persons sometimes sitting in and around the pool (with kids as well) a broken glass in or around the pool would be very dangerous. I would like to apologize if this posed any inconvenience, though I am confident if you had requested a breakable glass it would have been offered only that you would be instructed to sit away from the pool area.

Once again, we would like to thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and we will continue in our efforts to "polish the diamond" and hope that we will be afforded another opportunity to offer our product and services to you.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was are second time to Tobago. We love the island and the people . The hotel was okay maybe needs updating but was comfortable. The staff very friendly which made are holiday lovely watching the turtles come up the beach was one of the most amazing thing you'll ever see .We was very lucky to see three. If you read this review. Tobago and rexturtle beach hotel are both one of the most beautifuls place in the world to visit unspoilt beaches like Englishmans bay oh my god.!!!!!!!
Come and see for yourself. Meet Jeffrey the barman

Room Tip: Sea facing.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chris s
Thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts for your holiday and for taking the time to post your review.

I certainly agree there are still improvements needed in the hotel, nonetheless, I am sure you would have seen some of what has been done, new seaside restaurant, new furniture in other restaurant, tiled walkways and we will continue in our efforts.

We would like to thank you for acknowledging the efforts of the staff.

It's wonderful to hear that you had the pleasure of seeing the amazing leatherback turtles come up directly in front of the hotel to lay their eggs.

Once again, we would like to thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resort for your holiday and we look forward to warmly welcome you in the near future.

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have just booked again to return to this Hotel.

I have been staying at this very Lovely Caribbean Hotel for about 40 years. I had part of my Honeymoon there and my son also had his Honeymoon at this Hotel.

Over the years I have seen many changes - It was privately owned by two different families, then sold to Travel companies and now it is Rex Resorts. I have seen many alterations, new buildiings, changes to the gardens and met many Managers over the years. I welcome back our present Manager, Leslie Amedeé. Mr Amedeé has made many improvments since his return, especially to the Gardens.

The staff over the years have always been very pleasant and cannot do enough to make sure that your stay is enjoyable.My children have been visiting since very young and they also have very pleasant memories, hence my son having his Honeymoon here.

Over the years, I have taken many of my friends with me and many have returned time and time again. The have loved the unspoilt Caribbean feel of this Hotel.

What can I say about this lovely Hotel and its fantastic staff? The fact that I have been visitng all these years, tells its own story. The only years that I have missed, was the years that we spent living in New Zealand and Australia!

So, Turtle Beach, look forward to seeing you all in 2015.

PS I am a Trini, who have lived in UK for many years.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Burne89
Many thanks for your years of loyalty and commitment to us (Turtle Beach by rex resorts). As you correctly stated in your review the number of visits on such a consistent basis speak volumes for what we do at Turtle Beach by rex resorts.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a passionate review and for acknowledging the efforts of the staff over the years, as well as the improvements that has taken place.

We can't thank you enough for the confidence you have shown in us and we look forward to extended the customary warm welcome to you on your return visit in 2015.

Many thanks

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I was unsure what the hotel would be like, but after a wonderful week long stay I would certainly recommend it. However, you should remember it is a three star hotel. Rooms were spacious, clean and all had the most fabulous views (request for one further away from the pool if you want the best view). Food was tasty and plentiful, staff were friendly and most importantly the bar was well stocked, there is even a pool bar so need to leave the water to top up on rum punch! Location is just perfect, even the new restaurant is on the beach front and every evening we were there turtles can on to the beach to lay their eggs. The only criticism I have is the pool could have been cleaner (although I still swam in it every day and you are right next to the sea) and there was no evening entertainment (but hey I'm sure you can make your own!). All in all I loved Tobago and I love my stay at Turtle Beach

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lucylu_4444
LeslieAmedee, General Manager at Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, 24 May 2014

It is very much appreciated to know that the product and services we offer were satisfactory to you and that's the food, service, cleanliness and location..

Your comment regarding the pool is noted, but this has been addressed and we will ensure that the standard cleaning in the pol is maintained.

We are pleased to hear that you had the privilege of seeing the Leatherback turtle come up on the beach directly in front of the hotel to lay their eggs.

Once again, thank you for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts and we do hope we will be given another opportunity to warmly welcome you in the future to Turtle Beach by rex resorts.

Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I always stay here ever so often when I need a quick get away. Really nice staff. Of course there is a really great GM for this Resort. Every time I went there was always improvement. Little bit costly but sometime it's worth more than the money.

Room Tip: Great place for relaxation.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen_MDM
Thank for you choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts as your preferred holiday resorts for your rest and relaxation.

It is always a pleasure to offer our services to you.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your short, sweet and direct comments on the product and services we offer.

It is wonderful to know that you were very pleased with the improvements that are being made and consistency in the service from the staff.

Once again, thank for your loyalty and commitment and for choosing Turtle Beach by rex resorts as your preferred hotel.

We look forward to your next visit when we could extend the customary warm welcome.

Leslie Amedeé
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock

Been to Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!