“To be very honest....”
Review of Cocrico Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plymouth
Cocrico Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Trinbago
“To be very honest....”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

...it was an ok stay, I didn't LOVE it, but then again I didn't hate it.
My husband and I stayed here for four days in December 2012 because of how affordable the rates were. We couldn't get over just how affordable it was, and worth its price, because there's a pool (a very clean and inviting one), there's cable television (no complaints about reception and just a few Spanish stations), there's A/C (not over-freezing, but just right - for us anyway), a private balcony to the back (though small, and no spectacular view), hot and cold shower (albeit in a bathroom with very VERY aged plumbing), a mini-fridge, microwave, wardrobe, 2 beds that- in defense of Frequent T- were, in fact, not very supporting or cushioning at all, and I'm a tiny 120lb female... just thought I should mention that before I am rudely addressed, as was Frequent T! Though I must mention, this wasn't a problem really and was easy to overlook because we slept very well each night. The very best thing about our stay was Annie's exceptional service, she, though seemingly disorganized at times, always made up for it by going the extra mile, even bringing up our meals (which were also affordable, and tasty) to our room. The worst thing about our stay, the one thing that prevented me from giving it a 3 star review, was the fact that there were a good few "crazy" or "wild ants" (as we call it locally) roaming all over the room. And I mean all over. And no it was not because we invited them by having food in our room because upon arriving to our room and setting down our bags, I began to notice them around, and from that time time forward we took painstaking measures to not encourage them further. So just be careful to not leave any crumbs or foodstuffs lying around, when you're finished with your utensils- immediately put them in the fridge, or trust me, you'll regret it! (That is, if you're nit-picky about those things, anyway. My husband didn't care about the ants much, but they were driving me nuts!) All in all, good value for money, very good service, I definitely recommend you stay here if you're on a tight budget!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pragoo
changrela, Owner at Cocrico Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thanks for your review, which is honestly very detailed and honest. We are also very attractive to the budget traveler who prefers self catering.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Port of Spain
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Basically, our stay can be separated into an equal number of pros and cons.

Pros
1. Annie provided great customer service
2. Breakfast and Dinner were delightful
3. Our *first* room was couple friendly
4. Nice outdoor setting by the pool

Cons
1. Over the phone we were told on more than one occasion that our rooms cost 200 per night.
When we arrived, Michael told us that the only rooms available were those for 250. Ok, no huge problem, but Annie told us that we were the only guests there. Was he lying??
2. The first room we went to was beautiful, but, the a/c didn't work. We contacted Michael who ushered us to another room, apparently fit for a larger family. The a/c in this room worked, but was noisy, and took a good while to get coldish.
3. The beds were extremely hard, making it super uncomfortable to sleep at night.
4. MIchael and Annie both have different prices for meals, so walk with extra money.
5. I felt super uncomfortable going to the "dining room", 1. because I was early by ten minutes and felt unwelcomed and 2. there were friends to the owners there and wow, talk about the most awkward dinner yet.

All in all, the trip was affordable, the food was nice but the rooms could use a touch of hominess. From a simple mat in the toilet to a softer bed, and this guesthouse would be rated much higher.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the white couch for couples..
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Frequent T
changrela, Owner at Cocrico Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
It is our policy to respond to all reviewers and it would be remiss of us if we did not respond to this one. This booking was only made one week in advance, by phone, and was not confirmed with the standard one night deposit. Upon arrival they were told that we only had $250 rooms left although we may have had $200 rooms when they first called. They did not have a confirmed booking. A room change was made upon request, although it was later discovered that the a/c unit was indeed working at the time. It takes time to cool a room on an extremely hot day. Also, the effects of cooling will take longer to be experienced by larger people. Heavier folks will also find difficulty in sleeping comfortably on an ordinary bed. There are special therapeutic beds, which we do not provide, that cater for such needs. We provide basic comfort for the average size person. Our meal prices are posted on our website. This couple was also not very communicative while at the Inn. Hence, our surprise at their remarks. Some people do have special needs and guests are encouraged to say what these are at the time of booking or prior to arrival.
arima
Reviewed 13 September 2012

i have been to changrela on 3 occasion and the prices is great, beautiful scenery the manger very courteous and helpful, Prefect weekend getaway the beaches were very close by. it is peaceful and quiet, walking distance to get transport and to shop, bar even internet cafe

changrela is a the prefect getaway

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mariemiaArima
changrela, Owner at Cocrico Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
I guess you have said what thousands of our guests also know. Yes, we averaged 2,000 guests per year since we took over ownership in 2009. Our pool is also our main attraction. Three churches are also within walking distance for our weekend holidaymakers. Football grounds, basketball, netball and tennis courts are a block away. As well as fishing jetty and children's playground. We also take time to reply to guests who were not satisfied with their stay.
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Okay now the reality of the situation is that the rooms are BASIC but to stay at the place is really really cheap however. The area is plymouth which is a neighbood with alot of locals not much tourists BUT!!! on the plus side there is fort james about 2 mins away which has a a soccer field a tennis court and back at the inn there is a table tennis board in the place itself. I wont really recommend it if its just two people but its really cool if its a group as it facilitates the exploring of the area which one will do. Also there is turtle beach which is like 4 mins away. And of course there are the Changs who own the place and you call them for literally EVERYTHING!!!They are extremelyyyy helpful kind and willing to help out and always ask about how is your stay at the inn and on the island and willing to provide a ride if nescessary. So all in all cocrico inn is a good place if its about 5 of you guys very cheap nice QUIET area and of course turtle beach fort james etc and of course the very hospitable Chang family

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jon F
changrela, Owner at Cocrico Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
We do cater for a wide variety of needs for groups as well as single persons or couples who want a quiet getaway. We have 15 guest rooms catering for singles or couples, a maxi room which can accommodate 5 persons and a large conference room, poolside, which has been converted to a one bedroom apartment, for 6 to 10 persons.
jersey
Reviewed 1 May 2012

You get great amenities at a fraction of the price at Cocorico and great customer service. I stayed here with my husband, and 2 daughters-9 & 1. We really wanted a pool for the kids and their pool is beautiful. It was in walking distance a fort that had a playground and beautiful view overlooking Turtle Bay.Scarborough, beaches, gas, groceries where all nearby. You do need a car but it is perfectly located to everything on the island-nothing is too far and its a great spot if you want to explore. The best thing about this property is that it is family owned and operated and the Changs do everything they can to make sure you have a pleasant stay. I do not understand the negative reviews if people had a problem the Changs would have fixed it. I celebrated my birthday while I was there and they went out of their way to make sure I had a great time. The room was basic but has cable, hot water (i think its solar only got hot in the day), comfy beds, balconies, and ours had a small kitchenette. It is not a fancy place but you arent paying $200US you are paying 200TT. My family and I have stayed at Bananaquit, Store Bay Holiday Resort, and a few others and this is by far the best value. Only thing I would just is more cleaning service but if we had asked for clean sheets or towels or anything they would have been provided. I recommend this place to anyone who wants a great value, to explore the island. If you want luxury this isnt it. This is by far the best value with the best customer service. Beautiful pool. Enjoy it!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline H
changrela, Owner at Cocrico Inn, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
We are ever conscious of the effects of the recession, both locally and internationally, on holidaymakers. Hence, our policy of deliberately keeping our room rates at a price that the average traveler can afford. We provide basic accommodation at affordable rates.
Trinidad
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This place is nothing like what i expected...It is in need of upgrade...I visited here on a last minute trip to Tobago and could not get any of my usual spots...It was the only place available and now i know why..everyone else new better...The location is out of the way...And rooms are awkward...Let me put it like this :

My room was supposed to hold 5 It was large with 4 cot beds a screen division and a twin bed. It had a shared washroom and my kitchenette was outside the room...That trip was not one i want to remember...Well just the hotel part...Beware...You have been warned..

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GCLB
changrela, Owner at Cocrico Inn, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
This traveler obviously made a last minute booking and got the only available room, which is a low budget room that families or large groups with children normally book when they want to cook outdoors, stay close together, lime and have fun under a covered area, next to a spacious swimming pool. When combined with the adjacent room which has an indoor kitchen, groups of 12 or more people are easily accommodated. GCLB obviously does not fall into this category and was dis-appointed. Travelers in a hurry are encouraged to check the Inn's website for information on accommodation before booking.
The location is out of the way for the un-informed, since route taxis and buses are easily available for those without transportation. Shuttle service can also be provided.
As mentioned before, GCLB got a low budget room. As such, the sleeping accommodation provided is two double beds, two single folding beds and two children beds. Sleeping accommodation is provided for up to 8 persons. Cot beds are not used at the Inn. As explained before, a large private cooking area is provided outdoors and not a kitchenette. The washroom is only shared by occupants of the room.
GCLB is obviously a busy frequent traveler and is encouraged to visit us anytime and stay in one of our standard or superior rooms and not the low budget rooms that large families and groups find attractive. Thanks for your feedback anyway, since you gave us an opportunity to explain to others who may not know otherwise. Make sure you book early though.
San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I have been to cocrico inn on many occasions. The prices are the best. The family and friendly setting is exactly what you are looking for, the manager and manageress you cannot beat.The manager will go out on a limb to assist you in whatever you would like to get done. I will continue to visit the inn whenever I am in Tobago. Franklin B

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Franklin B
changrela, Owner at Cocrico Inn, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Yes, we are family owned and operated. And we treat our guests as our own family. That's why we go out of the way to make your stay as comfortable as possible at the most affordable rates.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Coco Reef Tobago
Coco Reef Tobago
#1 of 3 in Crown Point

Been to Cocrico Inn? Share your experiences!