“A real pleasant surprise, Excellent!”

Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarmonbarry
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I travel a lot to small European and North American towns where my company has plants nearby. I have come to have fairly low expectations for the hotels I will stay in and had similar expectations for Keenan's.

I was completely amazed by what I found.

The exterior is modern and welcoming on arrival, with a beautiful setting on a river. Entering the hotel is a little confusing as you must go to the bar to check in. The staff from start to finish were wonderful. They even walked me to my room to make sure everything was as I expected.

Wifi, and wired high speed internet were included and worked really well.

The room was immaculate and clearly has been renovated recently. The bed was comfortable and everything worked as expected. The bathroom even had bathrobes and some fairly high end soaps and shampoos.

I only had breakfast in the hotel which was very good however I was told by my coworkers who arrived before me that the food was excellent at supper time as well.

All of this for a rate of 75euro (not including breakfast) is unbelievable to me. I will definitely stay again if I return to the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank timmycanfly

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We spent the August bank holiday week-end in Keenan's and indulged in the beauty of this wonderful Shannon side location of this beautifully furnished boutique style hotel.
The family rooms are interconnected which gave us huge space, teenagers in one room, Mom and dad in the other. Peace!!!!
Because we were cruising the River Shannon during the day, it was pure luxury to return to 5 star comfort.

The service is excellent, staff were so polite, happy and MOST HELPFUL with luggage.
Breakfast is served in a gorgeous room overlooking the river, a lovely start to ANY day...
The restaurant and bar is just bursting with character and style and was full every evening. Food and service AND price was superb.

Driving from Dublin it took us only and hour and half. No tired travellers and plenty of time to get our boat into the water and avail of a full day on the river, to start the weekend.
Perfect location for us, superb luxury accomodation and excellent family break away.
We will definitely be returning.....

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the River.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I stayed for one night. The staff were very friendly and the room clean and comfortable. Breakfast was cooked fresh to my order in the morning. The Hotel is situation right beside a bridge over a picturesque river. Very good experience

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2011

While the setiing of the restuarant is lovely my problem was with the food and in particular the prices. Completly outrages prices for average food. For example a bowl of chowder is €10.50!!! This is crazy. You wouldn't expect to pay this in dublin city centre. There prices need to match the location, market and quality.

Room Tip: Food overpriced and only average
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bquaine
Reviewed 30 March 2011

The hotel is well run and in a quiet location. Right on the banks of the Shannon. Good walks around the canals and river.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JamesDeans86
Reviewed 16 February 2011

if your looking for a weekend away or just a trip .then keenan's is the place to go.
Hotel is fantastic , restaurant is to die for, the food is outstanding and the staff is very polite, Annette the owner is most helpful and polite .
the rooms are lovely and clean and very up to date. the view of the river is lovely and so peaceful. A Lot of fisheries would love this place to stay. with all at your feet. what more could you want then a pint of the black sfuff and good food.
if you book here you wont be disapointed.
A hidden gem.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2008

Booked a boating holiday down the Shannon. Started in Carrick On Shannon, after the 2nd night really felt that sleeping on a boat was not for me. So after a great meal in Keenans, saw that they had a hotel. Well, left my son's and friends on the boat and headed back to Hotel, booked myself in for the night. What a great relief, the decor was top class, the bed was most comfortable (especially after the facilities on the boat) and the shower facilities great. Slept like a lamb!

So I have come to the conclusion that for me, boating is great the scenary fantastic, and the hotels along the Shannon are indeed top class. After a tiring day up and down locks, better to put your head on a 1st class pillow....on shore.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Joethetraveller58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarmonbarry
Abbey Hotel
#4 of 9 in Carrick-on-Shannon
Bush Hotel
Bush Hotel
#1 of 9 in Carrick-on-Shannon

Been to Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant? Share your experiences!