“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarmonbarry
Offaly
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here many times, and first time staying.

Firstly, no one there to meet you on arrival, secondly shown to room by someone who was not interested in leaving their duties in bar and restaurant. They stomped and huffed all the way to the room and I had to ask about late access and breakfast.

The room is really well kitted out, spacious and comfy. However it was freezing and this did not appear to change later at night or early in the morning unfortunately. Thankfully duvets and sheets are good!

Breakfast was a disappointment for somewhere whose restaurant is really really good, I think I was only guest but it was a struggle to get anything at all.

Check out was also difficult and no one was there to accept payment. When I ventured to the bar, I was told they don't open until bar opens, but they took payment!

Overall, very disappointed and would not recommend. It appeared that guests were not welcome or wanted I'm sorry to say.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

Myself and a friend have eaten here several times over the last eighteen months or so . We ate there last week giving it one final outing as our previous experience to this was also disappointing.....what do I say steak cold as was veg staff very friendly as normal but the reality is that keenans is pub grub at a hugely inflated price .....I actuall believe the steaks could possibly be the most expensive outside of Dublin and sadly the quality does not match the prices of anything on the menu. Disappointed

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

Recently stayed in Keenans hotel in Tarmonbarry and absolutely loved it. The hotel is small and so cosy, rooms are a delight, very clean with modern decor. Beautiful view overlooking the Shannon - a relaxing treat with lovely staff. Had dinner in the bar/restaurant downstairs which was delightful too. Can't say enough good things about this hotel and its staff and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Shannon are delightful. Family room is interconnecting plenty of space.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Castlerea, Roscommon, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

I normally wouldn't both reviewing a place, but I went along last night for a bite to eat with the gang from work. Now, I got diagnosed as coeliac less than a year ago and it's eating out that's the hard part; I miss certain foods, and when i'm in a restaurant, it's a nice steak and chips that I REALLY miss. Anyway, in Keenan's last night, I ordered the alternative, the mash, and because the staff knew of my condition, I was told 'No, you can have the chips - we cook them separately'.

Dear reader, I have never been so happy. Sure, the pepper sauce was still off limits, but dammit, chips! It's nine months since I've had this! And it was delicious. Plenty of Gluten Free dessert options, and they very kindly did a GF garlic bread for me as well.

This was great service. Put it like this - I wouldn't normally drive to/from Dublin via Tarmonbarry. After my experience here, that might well change!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ivan M
Dubin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

My family and I have being stopping off here for lunch for 8 years or so on our journey from Dublin to Roscommon up to 10 times a year as the food, service and hospitality is always excellent and extremely good value. There is a good choice on the menu which has a slight edge over your average pub grub and the food always comes out quick which is important when you have three hungry boys! The only down side is the toilets which are very dark and dingey and could do with updating, however that would not stop us from dining here.

• Stayed March 2013
Roscommon, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Recently went for Sunday dinner here with family and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
The staff are so welcoming, friendly and nothing is too much even when they're run off their feet. It was really busy there, but you'd never feel like you were left waiting. Very attentive staff.
The food is yummy, really delicious, the nicest food i've had in a LONG time and I just can't wait to go back. Definitely one of my favorites now.

Will highly recommend :) :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

My family and I had a lovely 3 night stay at Keenans. Theres a Great range of breakfast options and it was no trouble for items not on menu. Beautiful scenery, the Shannon flowed gently by our window. There's also a restaurant which is very popular, especially on Sunday, I would recommend you book a table. The bar is welcoming and friendly too. I could have stayed there forever. Thankyou to Annette and the team for looking after us.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarmonbarry
Viewmount House
Hodson Bay Hotel
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,932 reviews

Been to Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant? Share your experiences!