“My second home”

Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tarmonbarry
“My second home”
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

I have been staying at Keenan's over the last 17 months on a very regular basis. I believe I have just completed visit number fifteen.

Keenan's was highly recommended to me and my colleagues by one of our business partners from Longford.

I consider it an absolute privilege to be able to not only stay and dine here but also to share the friendship of the owners, Barry and Annette, and their very lovely staff.

So much do I enjoy my stays here that I brought my daughter to stay on a recent visit from Australia!

It is without hesitation that I recommend Keenan's of Tarmonbarry to fellow business travelers and social travelers alike.

Thanks to all.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Gerry K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I travel down to the west of Ireland and would always stop off on Keenans, food an service r always top class, I travelled west last wk n stopped off as usual and got the chicken skewers, what a dish, from first bite to last amazing flavours n juices n dips unreal so I tip my hat to the chef amazing, looking forward to going west soon

• Stayed April 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I stayed here with work and what a fantastic place to stay.
I will be back at some point with my wife for a trip round Ireland.
Family run hotel and all of the people I met were great people I love the trip.
Thanks to all the family and staff at Keenan's for a Great stay.

Room Tip: one looking over the river towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Phil B
Offaly
Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here many times, and first time staying.

Firstly, no one there to meet you on arrival, secondly shown to room by someone who was not interested in leaving their duties in bar and restaurant. They stomped and huffed all the way to the room and I had to ask about late access and breakfast.

The room is really well kitted out, spacious and comfy. However it was freezing and this did not appear to change later at night or early in the morning unfortunately. Thankfully duvets and sheets are good!

Breakfast was a disappointment for somewhere whose restaurant is really really good, I think I was only guest but it was a struggle to get anything at all.

Check out was also difficult and no one was there to accept payment. When I ventured to the bar, I was told they don't open until bar opens, but they took payment!

Overall, very disappointed and would not recommend. It appeared that guests were not welcome or wanted I'm sorry to say.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Myself and a friend have eaten here several times over the last eighteen months or so . We ate there last week giving it one final outing as our previous experience to this was also disappointing.....what do I say steak cold as was veg staff very friendly as normal but the reality is that keenans is pub grub at a hugely inflated price .....I actuall believe the steaks could possibly be the most expensive outside of Dublin and sadly the quality does not match the prices of anything on the menu. Disappointed

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Recently stayed in Keenans hotel in Tarmonbarry and absolutely loved it. The hotel is small and so cosy, rooms are a delight, very clean with modern decor. Beautiful view overlooking the Shannon - a relaxing treat with lovely staff. Had dinner in the bar/restaurant downstairs which was delightful too. Can't say enough good things about this hotel and its staff and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Shannon are delightful. Family room is interconnecting plenty of space.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Castlerea, Roscommon, Ireland
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I normally wouldn't both reviewing a place, but I went along last night for a bite to eat with the gang from work. Now, I got diagnosed as coeliac less than a year ago and it's eating out that's the hard part; I miss certain foods, and when i'm in a restaurant, it's a nice steak and chips that I REALLY miss. Anyway, in Keenan's last night, I ordered the alternative, the mash, and because the staff knew of my condition, I was told 'No, you can have the chips - we cook them separately'.

Dear reader, I have never been so happy. Sure, the pepper sauce was still off limits, but dammit, chips! It's nine months since I've had this! And it was delicious. Plenty of Gluten Free dessert options, and they very kindly did a GF garlic bread for me as well.

This was great service. Put it like this - I wouldn't normally drive to/from Dublin via Tarmonbarry. After my experience here, that might well change!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ivan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarmonbarry
Viewmount House
#2 of 3 in Roscommon
Sheraton Athlone
Sheraton Athlone
#3 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant? Share your experiences!