Hotel & Club Punta Leona
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Arenas(Punta Leona)
View Hotel
Hotel Villa Caletas(Jaco District)
  • Pool
Hotel Pumilio(Jaco)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewswhite faced monkeyscosta ricasan joseplaya blancaselvamar roomsnight walkwhite sand beachthe grillscarlet macawsgreat beachbutterfly gardenpura vidathe main roadreception areasuperior roomjaco beachrental car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Perfect beach for kids because the waves are very calms and perfect for couples as its secluded enough.
Terrible customer service if you are used to how in the United States companies want to earn your business, there they don't. You can have it on writing and it doesn't matter. For example, check in time is 3 but the room was ready at 1:30. Since i had a new born with me and its hot outside i offered to pay for half a day to get the keys early but since, it's not customary they didn't do it. Also, I had my wedding there a few years ago, it was planed and contracted months in advance and they changed the venue THE NIGHT BEFORE claiming they overbooked it...

Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank bosqueverde79
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for the time you took to write your comments and to let us know your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback so we can improve every day. We regret not giving you the room before the time of check in which is at 3:00 pm , but we must ensure that after the departure of a guest, the rooms are perfectly clean before the entrance of the new guests. Depending on the occupation that we have on the arrival date, the rooms may be available and clean before this time and we have no problem given them to our guests. If the guest arrives before 3:00pm and the room is not available then we offer to store the baggage at the front desk so they can start using all our facilities. We apologize for any inconvenience and we hope that you give us the opportunity to serve again.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Punta Leona is my new yearly destination for RainFest. I was invited to go with an amazing group to celebrate. The staff and accommodations in general are superb. Breakfast with the monkeys--watch your sugar caddy--zip lining through trees so glorious, sloths, macaws flying freely, toucans not on a FrootLoop box, huge collection of sea glass from Divine beaches, tree planting, sour sop juice, incredible music, groovy friends... If you want to get a Bang for Your Buck--- there is only ONE place to go---- Punta Leona. Thank you so much, Boris. You and Your Staff definitely live "Pura Vida" through invitation and example! I deeply appreciate you making my first trip to Costa Rica a healing life experience. It certainly won't be my last!

Room Tip: We had members of our group staying all over the resort---every room I went to was great for different reasons. They can accommodate large groups or singles. Everyone was happy.
1  Thank MarciaMagenta

Dear Guest, we are very satisfied to know that you enjoyed our Rainfest. As a family oriented hotel we appreciate that we meet your expectations and that you had a great vacation with us. We have a great privilege to be surrounded by wildlife so our guests can have the experience of being in contact with nature. We hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

For five full days we enjoyed the riches that Costa Rica had to offer us, and it was nothing short of spectacular. Since we had a large group staying at Punta Leona they accommodated us in 4 apartment style lodgings that had a 2 rooms and a common area plus kitchen. The bedrooms had a King size bed in the master bedroom and a queen bed in the smaller bedroom. The mattress were firmer than what I am use to about it wasn’t much of an inconvenience.
Our stay also included a buffet style restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner and would rate their food to be around a 4 stars, though their tres leche /variations desserts were AMAZING! YUM!
As for the rest of the resort they have different activities spread out around the premise. Zip line, forest night walk/tour, kayak, paddle boarding, and even an onsite spa. I wasn’t able to try any of these out but others in my group enjoyed these amenities so I will have to take advantage of these next time I visit. We also came when Punta Leona was hosting Rainfest I was blown away a the eclecticism of their music genres, since I was only expecting salsa and other Hispanic music genres but they seem to try and cater to all those that stay at their hotel.
Punta Leona also has a beautiful coastline whether you are having fun at the beach or taking a stroll up a nearby cliff the view is one that will never be forgotten.
If you ever get bored or looking for a bit more action Jaco is 15min car ride away which is full of souvenir shops, bars, and restaurants. While we were walking around Jaco during one of our days out we came across a surfing competition so there’s no end to what you will find while strolling around Costa Rica. You can also head to Arenal, site of an inactive volcano, but be warned that the drive is about 3hours from Punta Leona so it is best to save one full day for that. All in all the experience I have made in Costa Rica are ones that I will not forget anytime soon. It was fun and everyone should experience what Costa Rica has to offer atleast once if not twice.

1  Thank Albert L

Dear Guest, thank you very much for describing your experience with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you liked Costa Rica in general. We aim to please the different necessities of our customers and it is great to know when they enjoy to the fullest all the services and amenities we offer. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Punta Leona is AMAZING! I went here with some friends my boyfriend and I had met, as we all wanted to attend the RainFest festival here. Firstly, I have to say, Costa Rica is one of the prettiest places I have ever visited, probably mainly because of how lush it is (rainforest preservation and so forth means lots of green and plant life everywhere!). Punta Leona takes this beauty and builds on to it, setting it's property amidst a forest of trees where rainforest life is playfully alive everyday, and where a beautiful clear-water beach is only ever a short walk away.
In addition, every meal is available in this cute pavilion-like eating establishment (without the pavilion-like decor, it has actual tables and comfortable chairs like a real restaurant, but it is "open air" in the it is not completely enclosed) called Carabellas, where every bit of food is seriously super delicious. I am a really picky person, especially when it comes to hotel-eating (it reminds me of cafeteria food most of the time), but I love EVERYTHING in this cute little restaurant! And it's all served buffet style (I'm also a huge germaphobe, but they have attendants consistently around that keep the areas clean and the food fresh), so you can eat on as much as you want of anything you want! (Keep in mind that they try to serve local cuisine; if you're looking for regular American food, you won't find it here, which I personally think is the point of a trip to another country -- to try other culture's cuisines). Also, since it is pavilion-style, you get to each lunch with the monkeys! These cute little "squirrel monkeys" come to dine with the patrons every morning, and if you're not careful to cover your food, they will steal plantains from your plate! It's too adorable.
Every room is kept immaculate. As previously mentioned, I am a big germaphobe. Hotel stays generally result in me picking a part every piece of the room to make sure it was cleaned well enough, before I can even sit down. Even after that, I still grimace the entire time thinking of all the previous guests in the room. These rooms, however, are clearly kept extremely clean -- and trust me, I look everywhere and inspect everything. The room service preserves this cleanliness and makes sure to ensure that each night is stay is in a room kept very neat and tidy.
There are also many fun activities to enjoy. Our group went ziplining and on a "rainforest night tour", both on the property. You can also rent canoes, kayaks, paddle boards, etc. on the beach and play out in the water all day. There are also many more activities to do too, and they stay posted in the front reception so you can map out your day around all the awesome things there are to do at Punta Leona.
The entire place is beyond beautiful. Between the macaws and monkeys sharing your breakfast, beautiful white-sand beaches with crystal-clear water to cool off in, tons of activities to be involved in, trees lining every pathway and making the entire place feel like you were just transplanted into the heart of the most magical rainforest, this place is really where you should be vacationing when in Punta Leona. The hotel staff is exceptionally sweet and accommodating and will try to meet your every expectation, and the owner is super awesome and sweet as well. The culture is rich and vibrant here, and I swear, you'll want to stay at Punta Leona for the rest of your life (and that is a possibility -- I'm pretty sure there's houses for sale here!).

Long story short -- everyone needs to stay at Punta Leona when in Costa Rica. It's truly a wonderful experience, and if you're like me, you'll never want to leave!

2  Thank Kristin L
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to describe your experience in Costa Rica and in our hotel. We are delighted to read such good reviews and know that you vacation was a wonderful experience. Our Rain Fest Festival allows us to share with our visitors the natural beauty that surrounds us and the art and culture that characterizes Costa Rica.
Our Restaurant Carabelas was built outdoors with the idea that our customers could enjoy not only our kitchen but also the incredible experience of seeing monkeys wandering around which provide a whole show that is rarely seen in other places. We are encouraged to know that customers like yourself appreciate all our efforts and fully enjoy nature. We hope you visit us again.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

There is truly something magical about this place. I've been coming to Punta Leona every year since 2011 and have never left disappointed. I've been over 6 times in 4 years. From the playful Monkeys, the delicious food, the hidden caves off the shores of Playa Blanca, Punta Leona is some what of a fairy tale that you don't want to leave. There have been occasions where I've stayed in Playa Blanca until I caught a cold and still went back in hoping the salt of the sea would cleanse my body but also my soul. Cheesy but real.

My initial encounter with Hotel Punta Leona came as a result of being a part of their annual music festival, Rain Fest. For the first 2 years, I was a performer and the following years I've been promoting the festival. Out of the 40 people that I've brought over the course of 4 years, no one has left disappointed.

For the rooms, I've stayed at Bella Leona apartments and the Selvamar rooms. My dream is to one day own one of the houses that outline the shores of Playa Blanca.

Finally, one of the experiences I recommend for all visitors is the SMART program. SMART is a excellent program spearheaded by hotel director Boris Gordienko and the wonderful people at the Punta Leona Resort. It strives to implement tourists into Costa Rican culture by engaging them in select, local activities. Through SMART, I lived the meaning of the Costa Rican phrase “Pura Vida” and see why it is one of the happiest places on Earth!

SMART consisted of an array of activities such as a tasty cooking class, a folk dancing class and a guided tour of Costa Rican “nightlife”, which means walking through the jungle to see the creatures that reside there.

The program ended with community service at a school off the beaten path of Punta Leona. There, I saw the effects of global warming firsthand. The ocean is being pushed further inland towards the school, visibly destroying the surrounding architecture and potentially the school itself. Trash also regularly washes up on the shore. After an intense round of soccer, we ended the day with a beach clean up and had over 10 heavy trash bags worth of beach garbage. The fact the kids could still smile in the midst of this reality signified the essence of Pura Vida. SMART was an experience that I truly cherished and is a program all hotels should implement.

1  Thank Keem M
Bernarda L, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel & Club Punta Leona, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to let us know your excellent comments. We are filled with joy to know that you have being a frequent customer for so long and that you had enjoyed the hotel every time. We thank you also for referring us with all the people you brought with you to the hotel and we are glad that they also had a nice time. As you indicated Playa Blanca is a magical place where one can relax and enjoy the natural beauty that surrounds us. Your recommendation in regards to the Smart Program is very wise because it is a great way to learn about our culture, our people and the way we live plus the involvement in our community will help them understand why Costa Rica and its people are "Pura Vida." We hope you continue visiting us for many more years, it is a pleasure to serve you.