Hotel & Club Punta Leona
Hotel Arenas(Punta Leona)
US$216
US$181
Hotel Villa Caletas(Jaco District)
US$212
US$332
  • Pool
US$107
  • Breakfast included
Aparthotel Vista Pacifico(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$74
Croc's Resort & Casino(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$244
US$169
Bookit.com
Hotel Pochote Grande(Jaco)(Great Value!)
US$95
  • Pool
US$218
US$208
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswhite faced monkeyscosta ricasan joseplaya blancaselvamar roomsnight walkwhite sand beachthe grillscarlet macawsgreat beachbutterfly gardenpura vidathe main roadreception areasuperior roomjaco beachrental car
Reviewed 19 March 2009

A perfect 2 week vacation. The resort is beautiful, from the gardens to the pools to the monkeys, toucans and macaws. Swimming with the sea turtles. With schools and schools of many different fish. From the morning bird tour to the night jungle walk. With such an educated gentleman (Arnold) a most fascinating experience! Playa Blanca and Playa Mantaz was so different from each other. It was like experiencing 2 completely different areas of the Pacific Ocean.
The hospitality from the entire staff was most pleasurable. This is a vacation we will not soon forget.
Walking (or taking the shuttle) was time well spent. The view is breathtaking.
The food at every restaurant was outstanding. With so many choices, it was hard not to eat it all.
Yes it did rain. 20 minutes one evening. That was it in our entire 2 week stay. The sun shone every day.
I could write a book about how perfect our stay was.
If you are looking for the 5 star resort, plus the jungle and ocean all in one. Then Punta Leona is it!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blondlightning
Reviewed 14 March 2009

We were only in Costa Rica for four days and this place was great for us. We are very independent of scheduled tours, so we rented a car, which helped get us to the private beaches that was the main attraction for us. The 'blanco' beach was by far the best, with amazing sunsets. By having a car, we were able to travel down to Jaco Beach which was 15 min. The beach seemed to have some shady people on it who mentioned never to leave any belongings out while in the water, and that local businesses pollute in the same water. After having a not so clean, safe feeling, the private beaches seemed the way to go.
The Salvamar rooms were basic. People who have reviewed this hotel have complained about bugs and mold, but it was not as noticeable to us because we were surrounded by a RAINFOREST which is constantly humid with bugs, nothing major to complain about.
The service was great, it was nice to joke around with the bartenders trying to learn English. Staff tried their best to help with questions, but we realized, we were English speakers going to a foreign country and did not expect personal translators.
During the week, the restaurant is open with a buffet style dinner or in the back there is an ala carte option. The food at the buffet was good, the restaurant was ok. Breakfast was included in our package, which was key to start an intense day.
Location was nice to visit Jaco, do a zip line tour, and it close to Carrara National Park. It does take 11/2 hours to drive to the airport, so plan accordingly. But there are many site seeing cafes and bars to stop at along the way.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2009

After reading all the bad reviews, I still booked my vacation at Punta Leona. In fact we just left yesterday. (03/07/09) Take my word for it. The bad reviews are true. I was traveling with my mother, my son, my girlfriend and her brother and sister. Prior to checking in, I booked a sweet and a standard room. When we first checked in, they gave me 2 standard rooms and even though I paid for a sweet. I even had the booking voucher to prove I had a sweet. They told me I had to take it up with my travel agent. The staff is unfriendly, specially if your American and speak vary little English. When we went to our rooms, my mother tripped over a step right before her room because there was poor lighting where there was steps and sustained a serious injury. The rooms are very small and over priced. The rooms are about ½ a mile from the beach which is a vary long walk up and down a mountain. They do have a shuttle, but it is a 30 min wait each way. They do have a beautiful beach with crystal clear water. I would recommend the Bahamas. The food is OK but vary expensive and the restraints do not take US dollars. They also make you where a collared bracelet. Mine fell of after 1 day and they hassled me very where I went. Even though I am a white American who speaks vary little Spanish. To sum things up. The beach was nice and I will never return.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Wow, this place is really alive! Broad daylight, night, everything is everywhere and it's pretty cool. The monkeys will even walk up to your table and take your biscuit when you go to the buffet. This resort is very spread out so have a car or use the trolley. It's very secure so it's safe to walk at night, just beware of the animals. The beaches are nice along with the rooms.
Jaco is 15 minutes down the road and has a great nightlife and resteruants. Go in the evening to eat, but stay on the resort for the beach. Have fun and watch for crossing animals!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2009

We are a family of Four who stayed at Punta Leona in Oct 08. Why we chose this hotel and liked it was for the Location. We rented a car and stayed at various location around CR. From Punta Leona we were able to do day trips including visiting Manuel Antonio. There were several great local restaurants in the area that we dined at. The hotel is probably 5km or so off the main road so be aware of that. I don't think I would have liked our stay here if we did not have our own rental car. Since we did have a car we were able to drive ourself around the resort to the beach and the main pool area which has late swimming hours a plus for us. While we were there we did not participate or see any of the offered activities except for the Bird spotting, which we surprisingly enjoyed. We did this in lieu of the Night tour in the Jungle, because kids were not allowed on that tour.

This property is a gated community which has various accomodations available, condos, homes, rooms etc. We had a selvarmar room, which while very small was fine because we hardly spent any time in the room. It is in a jungle setting and while we had breakfast one morning we were entertained with more monkeys and coati than we could count. While at the beach/pool it was common to have wild macaws and parrots flying overhead. These are the things we went to CR for. If you need luxury beach fromt accomadtions this is not the place for you. The rooms are very far from the beach. Playa Blanca beach was just lovely in comparison to the Jaco and other beaches down the coast. It is not a private beach for punta leona but they have the easiest access for it. We were also there during the middle of the week at a low visiting time so the resort was very quite it might be a different story at prime travel time in CR, so consider that in my review. We had a frig in the room that we kept our own drinks and snacks, so I can not comment on the prices at the snack bars except the one by the beach was extremely high. There is also a grocery store on site for your needs as well. The included breakfast was good lots of variety. All in all I can't complain, was it the best, no not by any means but because we made an informed decision and had a car to get around it ended up bieng a great spot for us to stay and we left the hotel at 8am and drove to the airport for our noon departure, so no overnight stay in San Jose for us, the best part.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family