I was a bit hesitant about staying here after reading the reviews, but travelling with my mum, Colombian partner and his 10 year old meant that the hostels weren't very accommodating (hostels catering to an international clientele don't like Colombians staying with them and if you have children they are also funny about that).
When we'd called Sam's VIP Hostel they recommended the La Mansion, so we ended up here which was a good thing because:
* We had Room 1 which has 2 bedrooms and ensuite, TV, table and chairs and lounge chairs which suited our travelling party
* The staff were helpful in telling us what we could do and how to do it cheaper
* The shower had decent hot water after I adjusted the dial
* We were able to park our motorbike in the courtyard at no additional cost
* We were just about the only people staying there so it was quiet
* We paid 100,000 pesos a night, which is what we would have paid for a 4 bed dorm with shared bathroom in a hostel
* Wifi wasn't working for practically the whole duration of our stay
* The wooden shutters on the windows didn't shut properly, which accounts for a lot of the grimy look in these rooms
* The door to the room (it was an exterior and interior) seemed fairly flimsy in shutting and the lock was a padlock
I understand previous comments about it appearing dirty, which I don't necessarily think is for a lack of cleaning. Other comments about noisiness didn't come to fruition and we were there over a weekend. Being right next to the plaza I didn't expect tranquil nights, but there were no nightclubs or parties that made it difficult to sleep.
I think La Mansion de Sam is a work in progress. Give it some more time and it will be restored and done up into something nicer.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld and Priceline so you can book your La Mansion de Sam Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.