Hackness Grange Country House Hotel
US$208
Wrea Head Hall(Scarborough)
US$175
Hotels.com
East Ayton Lodge(East Ayton)
US$107
  • Pool
Marine Residence(Scarborough)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$100
All reviewsthe main housefunction roomnew ownersbridal suiteno mobile phone signalforge valleywonderful weddingdaughters weddingevening buffetwedding venuethe general managersunday lunchdalby forestpeace and quietthe north yorkshire moorsmr and mrsthis lovely hotel
Reviewed 13 January 2013

This Year we decided to spend Christmas away, it meant more time could be left to relax and not worry about the cooking and washing up!
Hackness Grange's Christmas deal seemed like the ideal solution with the hotel being in a gorgeous setting and very reasonable prices.
On arrival we were greeted by the friendly atmosphere of the staff with a selection of drinks and treats after the long journey. Certainly made you feel very welcome.
At first it seemed strange having a Christmas lunch that wasn't home cooked...the feeling didn't last! The duck for the starter was some of the best I've ever had and being followed by the turkey with all the trimmings meant you carried yourself back to the bar feeling very sated!
Overall it was a very enjoyable stay, the constant attentive care of the staff meant you were always felt personally looked after, and the overall detail that was put into the package meant there was lots of Christmas Cheer all for a very reasonable amount!
I would highly recommend Hackness Grange to anyone and plan on going back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 25gebf
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We have been going away for a few years now for Christmas and decided this year that we would give hackness grange a try as we had heard it was under new ownership. The hotel's Christmas package was average compared to other places that we have stayed over Christmas. It was slightly cheaper than we have previously paid for other hotels for Christmas but it is a lesson learned in paying for what you get.

The hotel is in a nice location with good views and is a lovely old country house with the potential to be something spectacular with the right investment.

We arrived on Christmas Eve to "afternoon tea." This comprised of tea and coffee - scones and mince pies which were average. There was no choice of any sandwiches or small cakes as you would normally expect. Most disappointing was that nothing was served to your table. It was presented buffet style at the bar - even the tea and coffee.

In the evening, we had a meal in the restaurant with champagne served in the bar before hand. We had been looking forward to a fantastic meal given that the hotel has had outstanding reviews for food but we wouldn't rate it anything out of the ordinary.

After dinner we attended the local midnight mass - a glass of mulled wine would have been nice to return to.

Christmas morning breakfast was fine. Both opted for a cooked breakfast but felt there was a lack of selection on the continental breakfast.

Christmas lunch was fine, same sort of standard as the evening meal we had had the night before. The service for wine was a little poor as we were rushed into the restaurant, everything was pre ordered the night before so they came out with your meal straightaway. I tried to get the staffs attention for some drinks but was presented with my starter and had to sit with a wine menu on my lap until the main course.

The buffet in the evening was a real let down and the worst we have ever had anywhere. There was nothing warm on offer and everything was made up of leftovers from the night before and Christmas. It looked really unappetising and was a big disappointment. I ended up having a piece if chocolate torte (left over from Christmas lunch) This is the only christmas I can remember going to bed hungry!

The rooms were fine. They could do with updating a bit but the bed was really really comfortable and I managed to have a good nights sleep for both nights for this I have given my rating an average.

I don't think I would return here again for Christmas, there are just too many other hotels with more flare who do it much better at competitive prices. Overall comparing hackness grange to other hotels we have stayed at over Christmas, although a little cheaper, did not represent better value for money. There were no extra touches at hackness grange that made it special or go the extra mile for Christmas.

I would return to hackness grange if was looking to go away for a couple of nights on a cheap deal.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed here from the 8th - 10th January 2013

Hackness Grange Country House Hotel has beautiful buildings and grounds that are in a lovely location.

I Absolutely loved my stay here! My partner had booked me this trip for a surprise christmas present. It was very well kept and very clean and our room was always kept to a high clean standard. The bed was very comfortable to sleep in and the bathroom was lovely too!

The staff were really friendly, welcoming and helpful through out my stay at the hotel.

The courses both evenings were absolutely delicious and very filling! The breakfasts were also really tasty!

I would recommend here to my family and friends and to anyone really!

Thank you to the staff for a lovely few days I really enjoyed my time here and looking forward to visiting again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen W
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I booked a two night stay the day before departure. We were not disappointed the hotel is really beautiful. Staff and food excellent and everywhere was very clean. We stay on average in about 10 hotels a year and I would highly recommend this one. The staff were exceptional and we felt that they really cared about their clients. The Christmas Decorations were still up and it made the house very attractive. We are National Trust Members and I felt that I was in one of the Trust Properties. I hope to visit again in the spring. I hope the new owners do well in this new venture.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patricia p
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Had an enjoyable Christmas break at the Hackness Grange Country House Hotel. It is a beautiful hotel in a peaceful setting and a credit to the new owners. The hotel was tastefully decorated for the hoidays and the bar area was gorgeous with a welcoming log fire and stunningly beautiful tree.
My husband and I did the 2-day Christmas package which was excellent value for money.
We stayed in the cottage as we had our dogs with us. The room was large, comfortable and spotless. Even a Christmas card and gift for 'Fido'. These extra little touches were well thought out and made our stay very enjoyable.
On arrival we were greeted by the owners, who were always at hand if needed. They have a great team of staff,who were always cheerful and happy to help.
Hats off to the chef - The meals were amazing, well presented and ample.
Just goes to show that you can have your cake and eat it!

Room Tip: If travelling with pets, the cotttage rooms are ideal as they are away from the main house.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family