“most enjoyable”

Hackness Grange Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hackness
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Just had a 2night,3day stay at the hotel and was very pleased. Breakfast was very good and the dinner menu most enjoyable. A choice of 5starters,mains and dessert and different each evening. Excellent choice of vegetables and satisfactory portions.Waitress service was also excellent. Our room was in the courtyard and was nice and large. There was some work going on during the day, a new function room I believe, but it did not impact on our visit. Lovely lounge and bar area with a roaring log fire. I think it will be worth re-visiting in spring when the pitch and putt, tennis and croquet facilities will be available.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maurice J

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We have just returned home after spending 1 night at this hotel. The hotel is in lovely grounds and the area is ideal being close to Scarborough and also lots of stunning countryside. We booked dinner and breakfast which were both lovely although breakfast could have been a little hotter.
We were not impressed with room 12 as although comfortable the bathroom and toilet were down 2 steps which was ok in the light but very dangerous in the dark, also after going to the toilet you had to walk along a short corridor to the bathroom to wash hands which I believe is a hygiene problem. We also overlooked a skip so view not too good. The furnishings in the hotel were of good quality and we liked the atmosphere although not many guest staying whilst we were there. Most of the staff were lovely especially the bar staff and waitress. when I told the receptionist on checkout my concerns about the steps and toilet/bathroom issues she was not really bothered. I would not let this put me off returning but I would request a different room as friends we went with had room 3 which they thought was lovely so it was just unfortunate we got this particular one. Some work is being carried out around the hotel but this did not interfere with our stay. Had we been staying more than one night I would probably have requested a change of room. After reading other reviews of this hotel many said it was cold which it was in some areas but not uncomfortably so.
Free wi fi was available in bar area but this was hit and miss although this did not bother us. the TV's in the rooms are very small but adequate for the amount of time we stayed in the room. No phone signal is available in the area but that is no fault of the hotel and did not bother us although it maybe would to some.

Room Tip: check reviews before going and request the better ones
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank y0rkshirechris
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed on business for one night. The hotel is nice enough but did seem cold, this was commented on by the receptionist as to why the restaurant and bar doors were closed. If it is cold, then turn the heating up? I stayed in the court yard but suspect the Main hotel is the better bet. Room was clean and tidy but in need of an update and I could clearly he an adjacent rooms tv.
There is no mobile phone signal in the hotel or courtyard. The free wifi was great but only extends to the bar area, it could not be received in the courtyard and I am told also in the rooms in the main hotel.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed here last month on an 'Amazon Local' offer which turned out to be great value. Nice hotel with very friendly and helpful staff. We had a large room overlooking the lake which was clean, comfortable and had all that was needed provided. Excellent food in the restaurant at night with a good choice and generous portions. Let down at breakfast by the sausage quality but this problem has already ben addressed (pleased to receive a reply direct about this when I'd mentioned it on the comments card). Nice grounds for a short stroll in the evening air and will be better when the extension part is completed. Would return to see these improvements and stay again.

Room Tip: A room in the main building is worth the small extra charge.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We have just enjoyed a couple of nights in this great country house hotel - early December. We enjoyed every aspect of our stay and wished we could have stayed on to see the Christmas decorations. Comfortable and friendly with excellent food - what else do you need ? Well perhaps the stunning Yorkshire countryside and nearby Scarborough and Whitby completed it for us !

Room Tip: We stayed in the main house in case the weather wasn't good. No lift so 1st floor is easiest.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed at this lovely Manor Hotel for 2 nights.Located several miles from the coast and within the North York Moors with River Derwent nearby.
Set in extensive grounds with lakeside view.
Nice clean, spacious room, booked with an evening meal and free bottle of wine first night and 2 nights B&B.
I was a little nervous about menu as I have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease.i.e. must be gluten free.
The owner has family members with coeliac and the quality and range of options on menu was fantastic.The chef was brilliant and could not have improved upon the choices provided.Puts most large restaurant chains to shame!
The food for so good on the first night, we booked the second night also(which is not usual for us)
Thoroughly enjoyed the whole stay, very relaxing and peaceful mid week with great customer service and friendly staff.
We will be returning hopefully sometime soon

Room Tip: Choose room in main building if possible
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2013

A 19th century hotel in the North Dales if Yorkshire, in the tiny village of Hackness. With rooms in the main house and an annexe. We were placed in the annexe. Our room was of a reasonable size with a separate bathroom. Although the rooms could do with updating, my iPad was the same size as the flat screen tv in the room. I must admit the shower was excellent probably the best I have encountered. However getting hot water to the sink in the bathroom took an absolute age and wasn't hot.
Wifi facilities were only available in the house, and shock horror no signal for mobile phones.
We had an evening meal with friends in the restaurant, the menu was multiple choice on each course. I had a prawn terrine starter, salmon main course and a sponge was sweet. Unfortunately the prawns had no taste, the salmon was over cooked but the sponge was great. Others in our party had steak, chicken etc and all were happy, perhaps it was just my choice. Next to the restaurant is a bar with leather seats and settees, they could do with replacing.
The position of the hotel to Scarborough (5 miles), and Whitby (18 miles) was excellent, plus access to the Dales themselves. The hotel has its own grounds with pond, tennis courts, and putting course, I am certain in summer the place will look excellent.
I don't know whether I would visit again because so many other hotels operate in the area.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hackness
Wrea Head Hall
#22 of 26 in Scarborough
Palm Court Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
#12 of 26 in Scarborough

Been to Hackness Grange Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!