“Better Hotels Nearby”

Hackness Grange Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hackness
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I left the Hackness Grange near Scarborough after a three day rest feeling rather disappointed. It`s an hotel with a posh name who expect "top dollar" but does not deliver on their part. Our room was on the ground floor over looking their courtyard. It was Bijou with two arm chairs two wicker bedside tables and a wicker dressing table with tea and coffee facilities. The bed was a modern metal bed with a five inch lumpy mattress (£100 from any bed shop) It was not the room for swinging a cat in or two people moving about at the same time. It did have a lovely bay window with a spectacular view of the countryside but sadly because of the passing foot and vehicle traffic we had to keep the curtains partially closed because when they heard a noise in the room they automatically looked in. It felt more like staff quarters. We were woken every morning by a noise outside our window " a man loading metal staging into a van, a garden tractor toing and froing which bleep when in reverse and a two stroke petrol engine revving up and down up and down.
There is a large lake very close to the hotel with no fish but plenty of ducks on it, I can imagine in the summer being eaten alive if you sat outside and having to sleep with the windows closed.
Starting in May 2014 they will be catering for wedding parties etc in there function room and where the function room is located if you are not a guest at the event I would imagine the hotel to be very noisy, And even worse if you are unfortunately in their courtyard accommodation area.
If you must stay there ask first if they have a function on during your stay.
The food was excellent as long as you don`t have a large appetite, there was plenty of choice. The first morning at breakfast while half way through our cereal the waitress was standing at the table with our full English going cold waiting for us to finish.
On the second morning there was no brown bread as they had run out the day before and if you were entitled to a bucks fizz with your breakfast and you never asked for it you never got it, It was never offered.
I feel they have a lot to learn about the hospitality business before they start expecting top dollar. Perhaps that`s why they are moving more into the function room idea.
I stop in many hotels with my job but this one was not one of my best stays there is better nearby.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere. Not value for money.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 9gemma

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

An overnight stay on a Amazon Local deal and so glad we chose this hotel . A beautiful location not far from Scarborough and Whitby . Room we had was immaculately clean and tastefully decorated . The highlight was the included 3 course meal which we thought was excellent .decent portions and well presented . Highly recommend .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stevos747
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The staff were poorly trained, the courtyard room damp with mould visible. The breakfast offered only a very limited choice of items.
We had an evening meal on the first night but found somewhere much better on the second night and at half the cost.
The drinks are expensive.
NOT RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: Don't accept a courtyard room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank randomchoice
Roger B, Owner at Hackness Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Thank you for writing in to trip advisor. I am sorry to read that you felt your deal was poor value for money. I was surprised you felt also that the staff were poorly trained. We have received many compliments on our staff hospitality and professionalism as reflected from other customers also on this website.

With regard to your comment that the breakfast offered is very limited. We have a buffet style that includes selection of fruit juice, tea, coffee, 5 different types of cereal, fruit salad, dried fruits, yoghurt, porridge as well as a choice for a cooked breakfast including eggs any style, bacon, sausages, beans, fresh mushrooms, fried tomato, fried bread and baked beans. We also offer smoked kippers, smoked haddock with poached eggs (for a small supplement) as well as eggs benedict with salmon.

Finally I appreciate that you may have found our drink prices slightly higher when compared to say a pub. Unfortunately with the rising cost from the suppliers, I have tried to absorb the last price increases as much as possible. That said, we have checked our prices against hotels of similar standard as ours and I believe we are at the correct level.

As I am not sure which room you stayed at in the Courtyard, it is difficult to pass comment on the mold. That said, I have spoken with housekeeping to check all the rooms and to ensure that any mold is reported up to be dealt with.

I would be interested to know some further details about your comments on the staff training and if you would like to contact the General Manager at the hotel, joe@hacknessgrangehotel.com he will be able to address any matters also that haven't been dealt with in this reply and also use the opportunity of your feedback to help improve the service for future customers.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

the hotel was the perfect setting for a family wedding, the staff were superb yet unobtrusive and we loved our suite. it was a great place for two families to get to know each other in a really relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hazel E
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at hackness and was very pleased. Beautiful grounds and building. I had a comfortable stay and would visit again without a doubt. Staff were welcoming and polite. Food was also good with beautiful dessert.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sophie L
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We have spent over 12 months planning our wedding with the hotel and it far exceeded our wildest expectations. We took over the whole hotel for the Sunday, but once our guests had seen it online, they booked in for the Saturday as well. The ceremony was wonderful, and the canapés afterwards exceptional. The wedding breakfast was superb, and EVERY guest commented on this. The evening buffet was also very good. We had a live band, DJ and fireworks to finish off. The staff were brilliant too, and even though they were on their feet all day, still had a smile on their faces at the end of it. If you are wanting a really special wedding where you can be The Lord and lady of the manor for one day, then you can do no better than here. Get in touch with Joe, the manager and tell him Phil & Karen sent you and he will make your dream wedding come true. Joe is the person you can trust and rely on 100% to do what you ask. Fantastic day well done Havkness!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Leeds99
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Me, my partner and my young son stayed at the hackness grange for 2 nights on the 25th and 26th April this year. We got a deal through groupon costing £165 cor bed and breakfast, 3 course meal, glass bucks fizz each with 1 breakfast. To start on arrival were all absolutely shattered from the drive trying to find the hotel, we checked in with a young girl on the front desk who didn't seem very interested in anything and were given keys to our room and dire is an understatement. Bland, basic and not comfortable in the slightest. We called reception and booked in asked for canapes to be brought to the room but we're told this isn't possible as dinner not till 6.30, this was 6 o'clock. We arrived for dinner tired, unhappy and hungry. Menu for dinner was ok, ok choice, additional for vegetarians. Service was terrible, a young girl and a obnoxious man. My girlfriend actually at this point wanted to leave but after a discussion with the manager we arranged food not on the menu and room upgrade. The new room was a family suit at the top of the hotel which was great in size but poorly laid out, very dark separate lounge and bathroom, by this point a cardboard box would do. We arrived for dinner and felt on edge from the way the staff were dealing with us, unhelpful and blatantly rude. Meal was poor, the rissoto for my girlfriend was the worst I've ever seen, dry, stodgy and inedible, main fish course was bog standard and overall really poor for a hotel of this supposed calibre. We left the dining room more than unhappy. On the way upstairs we said to ourselves lets try make the most of it as only first night what else can go wrong, well it did. No hot water, building work outside our window and freezing cold. Left it till next day to complain after our breakfast in bed and were told all that can be done is we shower in another room and stay where we were. Unacceptable. Day trip to Whitby and a meal in
Scarborough saved the weekend. But on leaving the hotel check out was another story. We were billed for room service by the tray not explained at any point during stay charged at £4 per tray, 3 trays each day for breakfast! drinks massively overpriced, refund of £15 given for child supliment at weekend as we had no hot water. As if that would make up for the stay. The manager did try by upgrading our room but overall the stay was the worst I've ever had at any hotel in my life, that is no over exaggeration on top of this no hot water at all during our stay. Lovely looking hotel and grounds but far too many faults to rate anything above a 1. We drove all the way from
Manchester for the weekend and feel angry and out of pocket

Stayed: April 2014
8  Thank otis1508
Roger B, Owner at Hackness Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Many thanks for writing into trip advisor with your comments.

You booked under an offer that stated you were in a standard room in the courtyard. Your deal included canapés before dinner, a 3 course dinner and breakfast with bucks-fizz.

After your arrival and check in you went to your room in the Courtyard, you then rang through after half an hour and spoke to the receptionist requesting your "free canapés and bucks fizz" be served to your room "immediately". You were advised that the canapés are served in the lounge bar just before dinner, and we would be happy to serve you bucks-fizz as room service, for which you were advised you would be charged as the free bucks-fizz was for breakfast. You decided then not to have this.

Later you came to the lounge-bar and were greeted by staff who offered you a menu. Having looked at the menu you decided you were not happy with the selection and approached reception saying you wished to leave. I then asked why, incidentally I am the owner and not the manger, and you said "you were having issues" and "she" wasn't happy with the room nor the food selection. I immediately offered to show you a main house room and personally took you to the room. You looked at the views from the room and said they were lovely and that you were very happy with the room. You went on to state you were very happy with the hospitality you were receiving and would talk with your girlfriend.

With regard to the food I arranged Chef to make something extra for your girlfriend.
Having placed your order you were taken to the restaurant. The staff offered a high chair for your baby son. You refused stating he didn't need one. Unfortunately, an 'accident' did occur and we had to later remove the chair from the restaurant to be professionally cleaned. At no point did I witness my staff being "blatantly rude" to you. At the end of dinner I asked you if everything had been fine and you said yes.

The next morning your deal included breakfast, however you decided you wanted this served in your room. With any packages, breakfasts are normally served in the restaurant and it is normal for hotels to charge for room service, particularly for multiple orders.

With regard to the hot water, I would clarify that the shower in your room was working with hot water. It was unfortunate that the bath's immersion tank that supplied the bath the hot water had tripped. I did apologise for this and we made rectification for you on check out.

Having personally dealt with you and witnessed my staff handle the various situations including the late check out and the problems we faced there, as well as read your reviews/comments on other hotels on this site, I am more than happy that my staff acted in an appropriate, courteous and professional way towards you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hackness
Wrea Head Hall
#4 of 26 in Scarborough
Palm Court Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
#12 of 26 in Scarborough

Been to Hackness Grange Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!