“about the best value for money”

Hackness Grange Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hackness
Llanelli, United Kingdom
“about the best value for money”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had to travel to York and wanted a good hotel in the country around York so that the trip was not all about work. Hackness Grange more than delivered it exceeded. Value for money it beat Premier Inn in Ferndown (our previous stop) hands down. The food was excellent and the staff friendly and polite, Mr Roger Brooks, the owner, could not have done a better job as "mine host". I must say we were a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews but I doubt these people stayed at the same hotel as us. The grounds are great for a relaxing stroll and although I have trouble walking and negotiating stairs everything possible was done to look after me. I cannot thank the staff enough for their help and welcoming attitude WELL DONE

Room Tip: If you like to be away from the main hotel book a cottage
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Last time I was at Hackness I spent Christmas there, overall was very satisfied at the time. I had the opportunity to meet the owner who took me through the proposed changes.
Recently I came across a deal so decided to return. To sum it up they really have delivered on their plans. It is clear all the money they are putting into refurbishment of the property as well as staff training is money well spent! Since I was last there they have a new manager, Joe I believe, who was very hospitable and clearly very professional. I have to say considering the deal I got on the stay, the service delivered was extraordinary.
I would highly recommend this place, especially considering the constant improvements they seem to be making. A very comfortable and welcoming place.

Room Tip: We stayed in the courtyard room again, nice homely atmosphere.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I left the Hackness Grange near Scarborough after a three day rest feeling rather disappointed. It`s an hotel with a posh name who expect "top dollar" but does not deliver on their part. Our room was on the ground floor over looking their courtyard. It was Bijou with two arm chairs two wicker bedside tables and a wicker dressing table with tea and coffee facilities. The bed was a modern metal bed with a five inch lumpy mattress (£100 from any bed shop) It was not the room for swinging a cat in or two people moving about at the same time. It did have a lovely bay window with a spectacular view of the countryside but sadly because of the passing foot and vehicle traffic we had to keep the curtains partially closed because when they heard a noise in the room they automatically looked in. It felt more like staff quarters. We were woken every morning by a noise outside our window " a man loading metal staging into a van, a garden tractor toing and froing which bleep when in reverse and a two stroke petrol engine revving up and down up and down.
There is a large lake very close to the hotel with no fish but plenty of ducks on it, I can imagine in the summer being eaten alive if you sat outside and having to sleep with the windows closed.
Starting in May 2014 they will be catering for wedding parties etc in there function room and where the function room is located if you are not a guest at the event I would imagine the hotel to be very noisy, And even worse if you are unfortunately in their courtyard accommodation area.
If you must stay there ask first if they have a function on during your stay.
The food was excellent as long as you don`t have a large appetite, there was plenty of choice. The first morning at breakfast while half way through our cereal the waitress was standing at the table with our full English going cold waiting for us to finish.
On the second morning there was no brown bread as they had run out the day before and if you were entitled to a bucks fizz with your breakfast and you never asked for it you never got it, It was never offered.
I feel they have a lot to learn about the hospitality business before they start expecting top dollar. Perhaps that`s why they are moving more into the function room idea.
I stop in many hotels with my job but this one was not one of my best stays there is better nearby.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere. Not value for money.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 9gemma
Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

An overnight stay on a Amazon Local deal and so glad we chose this hotel . A beautiful location not far from Scarborough and Whitby . Room we had was immaculately clean and tastefully decorated . The highlight was the included 3 course meal which we thought was excellent .decent portions and well presented . Highly recommend .

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stevos747
Hull
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The staff were poorly trained, the courtyard room damp with mould visible. The breakfast offered only a very limited choice of items.
We had an evening meal on the first night but found somewhere much better on the second night and at half the cost.
The drinks are expensive.
NOT RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: Don't accept a courtyard room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank randomchoice
Roger B, Owner at Hackness Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you for writing in to trip advisor. I am sorry to read that you felt your deal was poor value for money. I was surprised you felt also that the staff were poorly trained. We have received many compliments on our staff hospitality and professionalism as reflected from other customers also on this website.

With regard to your comment that the breakfast offered is very limited. We have a buffet style that includes selection of fruit juice, tea, coffee, 5 different types of cereal, fruit salad, dried fruits, yoghurt, porridge as well as a choice for a cooked breakfast including eggs any style, bacon, sausages, beans, fresh mushrooms, fried tomato, fried bread and baked beans. We also offer smoked kippers, smoked haddock with poached eggs (for a small supplement) as well as eggs benedict with salmon.

Finally I appreciate that you may have found our drink prices slightly higher when compared to say a pub. Unfortunately with the rising cost from the suppliers, I have tried to absorb the last price increases as much as possible. That said, we have checked our prices against hotels of similar standard as ours and I believe we are at the correct level.

As I am not sure which room you stayed at in the Courtyard, it is difficult to pass comment on the mold. That said, I have spoken with housekeeping to check all the rooms and to ensure that any mold is reported up to be dealt with.

I would be interested to know some further details about your comments on the staff training and if you would like to contact the General Manager at the hotel, joe@hacknessgrangehotel.com he will be able to address any matters also that haven't been dealt with in this reply and also use the opportunity of your feedback to help improve the service for future customers.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

the hotel was the perfect setting for a family wedding, the staff were superb yet unobtrusive and we loved our suite. it was a great place for two families to get to know each other in a really relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hazel E
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed at hackness and was very pleased. Beautiful grounds and building. I had a comfortable stay and would visit again without a doubt. Staff were welcoming and polite. Food was also good with beautiful dessert.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sophie L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hackness
Wrea Head Hall
#11 of 28 in Scarborough
Palm Court Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
#10 of 28 in Scarborough

Been to Hackness Grange Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!